Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have a coolant leak on my 1993 Aspencade. I noticed the leak after it's cooled off, I don't see anything leaking when it's running.

The highest drip point that I could find is level with the right sidebottom bolt of the crash bar just aft of the timing belt cover and inboard of the 2nd bolt holefor the timing belt cover.

After doing some search's in the forumI will be looking at the reservoir tank when I get home from work tonight.

So to my question what plastic(s) and Left or right sidedo I need to remove to find this leak.

Thanks for the help

Ivan

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
imported post

There is weep hole on the water pump chk there first to see it the leak is coming from it.

I could be from one of the hoses as well. They put some tape around the hose connector on the pumps and sometimes it leaks because of the aging tape. Also a clamp could just be lose.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

ivan wrote:
...The highest drip point that I could find is level with the right sidebottom bolt of the crash bar just aft of the timing belt cover and inboard of the 2nd bolt holefor the timing belt cover.

After doing some search's in the forumI will be looking at the reservoir tank when I get home from work tonight.

So to my question what plastic(s) and Left or right sidedo I need to remove to find this leak...

Remove the all the tupperware on the front and sides of the engine, and also the fan on the right side, in order to most-all of the typical leak locations.

Typical suspects are:

-Overflow tube (from radiator fill to reservoir tank)

-Hose connecting both radiators at the top

-Loose fitting on top of thermostat

-Loose fittings to radiators

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Isn't the water pump located next to the oil filter? the lowest point in the cooling system. The water pump (or at least what I think in the water pump is dry. The leak is coming for up from above.

Ivan

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

ivan wrote:
Isn't the water pump located next to the oil filter? the lowest point in the cooling system. The water pump (or at least what I think in the water pump is dry. The leak is coming for up from above.
Correct, the water pump is Below the high point of the leak that you found... hence that can't be the source.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
imported post

Also check the lip (below the cap), which sometimes gets bent if the cap was stubborn at some point and took a little force to remove. This is where I found my last leak.

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts
imported post

ALEX BERECZKY wrote:
Remove the all the tupperware on the front and sides of the engine, and also the fan on the right side, in order to most-all of the typical leak locations.

Typical suspects are:

-Overflow tube (from radiator fill to reservoir tank)

-Hose connecting both radiators at the top

-Loose fitting on top of thermostat

-Loose fittings to radiators
Locating coolant leaks can be an involved job. Removal of all plastic needs to be done if it is not the reserve tank grommet or lower radiator hoses.:shock2:

JD

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

Well I took the top end apart last night so I could get a real good look at things. The grommet and everything else looks ok.

But it has stopped leaking for now (grrrr!!!) I don't have a garage to work in so the bike is in the drive way exposed to what ever the wind blows around or the weather if it happens to rain.

My first thought is put it back to together and wait for it to leak again.

Any advise?

Ivan

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Try running the engine until the thermostat comes on (about 15 minutes at idle), then carefuly look at the joint to the rubber tube that comes off the top of the thermostate (located between/behind the two radiators). If you don't see a leak there, then turn off the engine, and continue to watch the various coolant lines as the bike cools down, especially the tubes going into the overflow tank.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.