Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have a problem with the tail lights on my bike being to bright. Can’t tell when brake lights are on. I read some where on a schematic that the tail lights are 6v and brake lights are 12v. I tested mine and everything is 12v. So what makes the tail lights 6v and where would it be?
Thank in advance, really stumped here.

Update: I am making progress. I figured out that the tail light was feeding the brake lights. When I bought the bike it has a ton of acc lights on the rear of bike. Somewhere it wiring for all those lights is cross feeding to the brakes. Cut the main power feed to them and all the rear stock lights are working fine. now got to rerun and redo the accessory lighting wiring.
Thanks for everyone’s input. I was really lost for awhile.
Tire Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light
got it fixed

·
Magic Moderator
4,867 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Does your bike have LEDs or incandescent bulbs?
One of the brake light switches may be stuck and keeping the brake lights on. Locate the wires at the switches and remove one and the light go off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Does your bike have LEDs or incandescent bulbs?
One of the brake light switches may be stuck and keeping the brake lights on. Locate the wires at the switches and remove one and the light go off.
Thanks for replying
It’s not the brake light switches. The brake lights function perfect. The problem is the tail lights are to bright.
All the lights are stock incandescent bulbs.

·
Magic Moderator
4,867 Posts
There's a possibility you may have the wrong bulbs, there are two bulbs that are identical in base and size and dual filament. The bulbs should be rated: (12V 27/7W) remove one of the bulbs and see the wattage.

·
Registered
1988 Honda GL1500
649 Posts
Dont know where you read the 6/12 v thing but its wrong they are both 12 but 2 size filaments for different watts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dont know where you read the 6/12 v thing but its wrong they are both 12 but 2 size filaments for different watts
I can’t remember think it was the power distribution schematic. I have looked at and read so much trying to fix this I honestly can’t remember for sure. Thanks why I am here trying to get some help.
All I know for sure is that lights worked properly until was out riding and someone let me know couldn’t see when brake lights was on

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's a possibility you may have the wrong bulbs, there are two bulbs that are identical in base and size and dual filament. The bulbs should be rated: (12V 27/7W) remove one of the bulbs and see the wattage.
Not the bulbs everything was working proper then it wasn’t. I can pull the fuse for tail lights and brake lights are working perfect. Just that tail lights are just as bright as the brake lights

·
Magic Moderator
4,867 Posts
When you turn the key (engine not running) are the lights bright or normal?

·
Administrator
27,939 Posts
Not the bulbs everything was working proper then it wasn’t. I can pull the fuse for tail lights and brake lights are working perfect. Just that tail lights are just as bright as the brake lights
When you pull the tail light fuse and hit the brakes does it make any of the front running lights come on?

·
Magic Moderator
4,867 Posts
That's a lot of lights and I can see how that would cause a problem. Glad you got it sorted out.

:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts