Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So i thought I would put this on a different topic, but still trying to get to my starter switch out to clean it up and see if that is my headlight problem.. I can't seem to get any slack to remove the cable ends from the throttle housing. I don't want to break the cable and there is very little slack. It also doesn't seem like a good idea to pinch the cable with pliers. I am stuck!!!:sadguy:

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

You probably should have continued this on your other thread and maybe a moderator will merge them.

Anyhow to remove the cables you use the cable adjusters to shorten the outer sheath to give the inner cables more slack and even then it takes careful bending of the first cable end to get it out of its socket, the second is a piece of cake.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Sorry about the misplacement on this topic,I wasn't sure. I will learn.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Sauceman wrote:
Sorry about the misplacement on this topic,I wasn't sure. I will learn.
Sorry, I didn't say you did wrong starting a new topic but that it was a continuation of another problem in my opinion but that's up to the moderators to decide.
If you'd asked about rear spines, timing belts or even your flux capacitor:ROFL: in your other thread I would have suggested starting a new thread.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
...to remove the cables you use the cable adjusters to shorten the outer sheath to give the inner cables more slack and even then it takes careful bending of the first cable end to get it out of its socket, the second is a piece of cake.
> Ditto... The cable adjusters are underneath the throttle housing on the right handle bar... loosen both of them as far as you can, and then the Pull-cable will have enough slack to be removed without too much effort.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

On my '85 LTD, I used the adjusters to shorten the cable housings as much as possible, got the cables off, but like to never got them back on. In fact the only way I was able to get them back on was to disassemble the cruise control box, and remove the pulley and cables, put them back on the throttle grip, then put them back on the cruise control box. Now I have them off again, but this time I have the whole intake system off, so I will install the cables on it before I put it back together. I will probably be removing the rest of the cruise control assembly when I put it back together.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks everyone for the help. I was successful because of your guidance and cleaning the switch solved the problem. The cables are the hardest part, but mine went on way easier then they came off. I did have some adjustment problems but think I have back to the way it was. She ran to the corner store without any issues and I swear she had a bit more power.......hum!!!

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
imported post

Sauceman wrote:
I did have some adjustment problems but think I have back to the way it was. She ran to the corner store without any issues and I swear she had a bit more power.......hum!!!
You probably have the throttle cables adjusted properly now and that would make it feel a little different when you twist the throttle.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
imported post

Oh.. in the future when you really don't have enough slack you can loosen or even remove the handle bars to gain the needed slack.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.