Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi All,

Ibought a1993 GL1500 Aspencade used. I think the previous owner put the cornering light kitand they work when theturn signals are activated. Which is cool. however I would like for the to work anytime the bike is running instead of running of the trun signals. Has anyone else done this?Was it a tough job to do? Thanks

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

I did this with my cornering lights. I just bypassed the relay on each side. Can't remember the colour of the wires offhand, but I'll check it tomorrow and post it here, unless someone else is good enough to update you in the meantime.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

I'm no expert on the GL1500, but I'm sure all you'd have to do is take the positive lead from these lights off of the turn signal circuit and tap into something that's always on, such as the headlight circuit. A wiring diagram might help you find a good place to do this...you might be able to move a wire only a short distance from one harness to another to do this.

Just be certain that the circuit you're tapping into can handle the added amperage, and that taking it off of the turn signal circuit doesn't have any adverse effects on your turn signals. Another consideration is to be certain that these lights can handlebeing on constantly (filament life, heat, etc.).

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Glad to know someone else has done this. If you do know what circuit you hooked this up to, I would be grateful if you would share it. Thanks,

Steve

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
imported post

It's not too hard to do. First you need to remove the relay or bypass it. On the right side, connect the light blue/white wire from the relay side to the green wire of the cornering light (this is the earth/ground). Then take the red/blue wire from the cornering light and connect it to the brown/white wire at the headlight.

On the left side it's orange/white on relay side to green on cornering light and the red/yellow wire from the cornering light to the brown/white wire at the headlight.

Altrenatively instead of connecting the power wire to the headlight, you can conect them to the accessory terminal on the fusebox.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
imported post

Hey guys.

I did mine a bit differently. I pulled the light sockets foreach cornering light, took the socket apart and found the second lead for the contact that Honda cut. Honda only uses 1 filament for cornering and they cut the other. Removed it and replaced it with a new one purchased from local auto supply store. Did the same for the other side and ran it to the first side. Ran that combined hot to a switch and then to the accessories terminal on the fuse block on right side below the seat.

Total cost about $10.00, total time for a novice about 2.0 hours

Have fun, it's not a difficult job :cool:

Rick

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

steverichmond wrote:
Hi All,

Ibought a1993 GL1500 Aspencade used. I think the previous owner put the cornering light kitand they work when theturn signals are activated. Which is cool. however I would like for the to work anytime the bike is running instead of running of the trun signals. Has anyone else done this?Was it a tough job to do? Thanks
Steve
That's why they call them cornering lights, same thing on my Grand Marquis and the Caddy before that, they are supposed to light the area you're turning into. It works better on cars, when the bike leans into a turn the lightaims pretty much at theground. That setupwas standard on the 93 if it had the lights. They converted the cornering lights to running lights on later 1500s around 98 or there abouts. You'd have to make more than electrical changes to make running lights out of them since they are designed to have a beam about 45 degrees outward.

·
Premium Member
1,781 Posts
imported post

I did the same thing as Rick... Went to auto supply house and bought new dual filiment sockets and replaced the existing Honda socket with the new one with two wire leads coming from it...

Connected the original wiring for the cornering function and then used the other lead to light the other filiment in the dual filiment lamp for running lights... It's been working for years and the sockets were only a few dollars...

Les

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.