Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. After rebuilding a set of carbs for a 93 Gl1500, using all Honda oem parts, I have a problem that started out as stinky exhaust smell. But after some testing etc I can see that at idle there is fuel dribbling out the needle jet/needle when it shouldn't be. I took the carbs off and checked the needle and seat ability to seal with a pop off pump/gauge and they both passed. The vents and hoses are clear/open. It's running rich and I don't know why. Anybody had this problem or have any ideas? Thank you

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Float height is too high?

Float is filling with gas? (doesn't float as good as it should)

Wrong needle and seat?

Defective parts?

Here is a link that might help. Read it all but especially post #30. Might send Joe a private message . Not sure the forum will let you do that with just a single post. John, Dave or Dennis might be alomg soon and they might be able to fix it so you can PM Joe.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,661 Posts
anyone can send a PM, no minimum posts required.

·
It aint rocket science
3,921 Posts
Fuel is dripping out at the slide needles while idling? One or both carbs? The carburetor air bleeds are the brass tubes facing up, are they plugged? Confirm that the top hose rear of right carb goes to the tee for hose to top of left carb front and then into hose marked #19 right front. Likewise for lower hoses go to #18 hose right front corner.
What was original problem with carburetors? Is this a CA emission machine?

Reactions: GLblinded

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thank you for your response.

Redwing52,,,,,,,The float height is set at the factory setting,,,I have a manual. It does act like high fuel level but none is coming out of the hose
It's possible the floats are bad but rare for both to be bad. Maybe defective parts but I used Honda parts which are the best to use.
Thank you for the link, I am reading it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fuel is dripping out at the slide needles while idling? One or both carbs? The carburetor air bleeds are the brass tubes facing up, are they plugged? Confirm that the top hose rear of right carb goes to the tee for hose to top of left carb front and then into hose marked #19 right front. Likewise for lower hoses go to #18 hose right front corner.
What was original problem with carburetors? Is this a CA emission machine?
Yes fuel is coming out of the slide needles while idling. Both carbs. Hoses are hooked up as you described. Not a CA emission machine. I will look at the air bleeds today.

The bike had a miss fire at idle and part throttle, also low power at low rpm and part throttle. Then would pick up nice with good power at higher rpm and more throttle opening.
In my experience, it acted like dirty pilot system or maybe a vacuum leak. I sprayed contact cleaner in and around the hoses and got no response. I also looked at the ones I could see.
I replaced the in take manifolds also. I replaced the very hard fuel lines and fuel filter, and new clamps. Pilot screws are set at 2.5 turns out.
I will post more info if I think of any

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Hello all. After rebuilding a set of carbs for a 93 Gl1500, using all Honda oem parts, I have a problem that started out as stinky exhaust smell. But after some testing etc I can see that at idle there is fuel dribbling out the needle jet/needle when it shouldn't be. I took the carbs off and checked the needle and seat ability to seal with a pop off pump/gauge and they both passed. The vents and hoses are clear/open. It's running rich and I don't know why. Anybody had this problem or have any ideas? Thank you
Eric,

First it has been my experience that you can not use carb spray or contact cleaner to find leaks anymore. They must have changed the chemistry or something. It just doesn't have an effect on the engine. A spritz of gas or some water will give you better results. MAF sensor cleaner works but at $8 a can.
It is common for the pow speed passages to plug on the carbs if the bike sits for extended periods.They are so small it can be a trick to get them back open. Did you spray in the low speed jet noting the spray would come out the low speed port holes? It is common for people who have plugged ports to turn up the idle speed to make the bike run. Problem is them it is only running using the main circuit. If that is the case fuel will be drawn yp the venturi and look like a leak. Reason is the main circuit does not meter very well at low RPM.

If you look at the size and location of the low speed circuit ports you will see why they plug easy and open hard. Some on this forum have got them opened by taking a single wire from a wire brush and running that through the holes to get them open.

If this is the case and you get the low speed open and working again you will know as soon as you start the bike.It will idle way to fast. When you slow it down it will run smoooooooth. 😎

·
Administrator
26,157 Posts
It is common for the pow speed passages to plug on the carbs if the bike sits for extended periods.They are so small it can be a trick to get them back open. Did you spray in the low speed jet noting the spray would come out the low speed port holes? It is common for people who have plugged ports to turn up the idle speed to make the bike run. Problem is them it is only running using the main circuit. If that is the case fuel will be drawn yp the venturi and look like a leak. Reason is the main circuit does not meter very well at low RPM.
Way bad synch will cause the same thing out of 1 carb.

Reactions: redwing52

·
Registered
103 Posts
Is the engine idling too high? That will activate the mains, causing what you are seeing. A Q-tip and tooth paste will clean the float seat up to look like new, giving the best chance at sealing. Did you use new viton tipped needles for the floats? removing the idle mixture screws when spraying cleaner through the idle circuit helps a lot.

·
It aint rocket science
3,921 Posts
Yes fuel is coming out of the slide needles while idling. Both carbs. Hoses are hooked up as you described. Not a CA emission machine. I will look at the air bleeds today.

The bike had a miss fire at idle and part throttle, also low power at low rpm and part throttle. Then would pick up nice with good power at higher rpm and more throttle opening.
In my experience, it acted like dirty pilot system or maybe a vacuum leak. I sprayed contact cleaner in and around the hoses and got no response. I also looked at the ones I could see.
I replaced the in take manifolds also. I replaced the very hard fuel lines and fuel filter, and new clamps. Pilot screws are set at 2.5 turns out.
I will post more info if I think of any
Very odd that fuel is coming out both slide needles, something way wrong with the work/install. At an idle you should be able to pull back the slide and not get fuel there due to lack of venturi vacuum which sucks the fuel out of the jet and into the air stream. If the float level was that high I would expect it to be pouring overboard through the bowl vent hoses (rear of carbs one hose each that goes into an open tee then continues to bottom of frame). Are your float bowl vent hoses routed correctly into that open tee and has no vacuum source on it?

Take a pair of pliers and pinch closed both the 18&19 hoses seeing if that stops the fuel dribble. Next remove the 18&19 hoses from their tees and see if that makes the dribble stop. Check that the enrichment rods are fully closed. At the underside of air box in right front corner is a larger hose that attaches to an inlet pipe under air filter and should be gurgling away drawing air in while engine is running, does it? What RPM is it idling at?

Reactions: GLblinded

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is the engine idling too high? That will activate the mains, causing what you are seeing. A Q-tip and tooth paste will clean the float seat up to look like new, giving the best chance at sealing. Did you use new viton tipped needles for the floats? removing the idle mixture screws when spraying cleaner through the idle circuit helps a lot.
It is idling at the recommended rpm of 800,,,it will go as low as 500 rpms. I used new Honda parts. All passage ways were checked and spray cleaner through them. Thank You for your help

·
Registered
103 Posts
It is idling at the recommended rpm of 800,,,it will go as low as 500 rpms. I used new Honda parts. All passage ways were checked and spray cleaner through them. Thank You for your help
Then you have a gas level too high, in the bowls, either pressurized by lack of venting as DriverRider states above, or those floats/needle&seats are compromised. The fuel pump can’t make too much pressure (by design) to force needles off of seats. rebuilt a 1000 for a friend that had the floats in upside dow. He wondered why it always ran so funky. And was absolutely amazed when it ran better than he had even known. You’ll get this figured out. It’s just a machine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
haven't been able to work on it over the weekend,-thank-you-for-all-your-help,,,,my-lap-top-key-board-is-acting-up,,LOL

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello all,,,,,I would like to jump start this post and see if I can figure out what's up with this bike. Haven't been able to work on it lately but I plan to this weekend. I have read quite a few of the posts on here and most of them end with out a resolution. The help that they offer is limited because of that. I will leave a resolution found at the end.

I have a good amount of experience working on motorcycles and have rebuilt GL1500 carbs in the past with out any problems.

After rebuilding a set of carbs for a 93 Gl1500, using all Honda oem parts, I have a problem that started out as stinky exhaust smell. But after some testing etc I can see that at idle there is fuel dribbling out the needle jet/slide needle when it shouldn't be. I took the carbs off and checked the needle and seat ability to seal with a pop off pump/gauge and they both passed. The vents and hoses are clear/open. It's running rich and I don't know why. Anybody had this problem or have any ideas?

The float height is set at the factory setting,,,I have a manual. It does act like high fuel level but none is coming out of the hose
It's possible the floats are bad but rare for both to be bad. Maybe defective parts but I used Honda parts which are the best to use.

I sprayed contact cleaner in and around the hoses and got no response. I also looked at the ones I could see.

·
Premium Member
3,741 Posts
Hello all,,,,,I would like to jump start this post and see if I can figure out what's up with this bike. Haven't been able to work on it lately but I plan to this weekend. I have read quite a few of the posts on here and most of them end with out a resolution. The help that they offer is limited because of that. I will leave a resolution found at the end.

I have a good amount of experience working on motorcycles and have rebuilt GL1500 carbs in the past with out any problems.

After rebuilding a set of carbs for a 93 Gl1500, using all Honda oem parts, I have a problem that started out as stinky exhaust smell. But after some testing etc I can see that at idle there is fuel dribbling out the needle jet/slide needle when it shouldn't be. I took the carbs off and checked the needle and seat ability to seal with a pop off pump/gauge and they both passed. The vents and hoses are clear/open. It's running rich and I don't know why. Anybody had this problem or have any ideas?

The float height is set at the factory setting,,,I have a manual. It does act like high fuel level but none is coming out of the hose

I sprayed contact cleaner in and around the hoses and got no response. I also looked at the ones I could see.
I don't think they are better than these......

We have used these on a couple of bikes with no issues. They even come completely labeled in separate bags.

·
Administrator
26,157 Posts
Is it possible something is causing the idle stop to be set higher than normal to maintain the correct idle speed, like the cam timing off a tooth or 2? I have seen it from 1 side when the carbs are way out of synch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is it possible something is causing the idle stop to be set higher than normal to maintain the correct idle speed, like the cam timing off a tooth or 2? I have seen it from 1 side when the carbs are way out of synch.
I-understand-what-you-mean-but-the-throttle-plates-are-almost-closed.....It-idles-very-good,and-I-can-lower-the-idle-below-500-rpm.,,

1 - 18 of 18 Posts