Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The # 12 fuse, 5amps, blows on my 1993 Goldwing. I replace the fuse and the lights are fine until the fuse blows again. What I recently discovered is and what I think may have blown the fuse is the hazard lights came on without the hazard button being pressed, and then that probably blew the # 12 fuse, killing the power to the relays, and killing the power to the lamps. I noticed the two hazard lamps were on at my instrument panel, and then when the 5 amp fuse blew, killing power to the head lamps, the hazard lights that were glowing turned off too. With the # 12 fuse blown, I can then press the hazard buttom, and the hazard lamps will flash, and the head lamps will flash too, until I depress the hazard button. I haven't tried a larger fuse to replace the # 12 fuse. I'm thinking the 5 amp circuit is being overloaded when the hazard lights come on, but how are the hazard lights coming on when the button isn't depressed, and appears to get power from the 5 amp fuse? Any help determining a way better isolate my problem would be greatly appreciated.

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
Try swapping the hazard relay with another one and see if the fuse remains intact.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Heffo,

What do I need to remove to gain access to the hazard relay? Is the hazard and turn signal relays under the seat near the main trunk or will I need to remove the trunk to get access? Appreciate your help.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
They are under the trunk.

Have you cleaned all your switches including the hazzard switch with electrical contact cleaner?

·
Administrator
27,908 Posts
#12 fuse only powers the headlight relay coils, nothing else, probably one of the relays is bad. On the hazard lights that is another problem, a bad ground connection that is causing feedback into the turn signal circuit. Check the 16 pin grey connector behind the left fairing pocket.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Found and corrected the problem. The wiring harness that traveled down past the handlebars was being pinched when I turned the stering to the right and ended up breaking the insulation in two different wires. I soldered the wires and moved them out of the way. All is good. It feels good to be able to ride now past sun set. Greatly appreciate all the good feedback.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Thanks for posting a reply with what you found and glad you are back on the road!
Merry Christmas!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.