Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi Guys, thought I'd run this past you all to see if anyone can shed some light on what could be causing this problem:

Whilst riding along the bike has cut out a few times, the first two occasions this happened I was riding over some "sleeping policemen" at approx. 10 mph, the bike just cut out and required me to turn off the ignition and on again to get the bike to start. Then today whilst cruising at 80 mph on the motorway a van pull out in front of me and required me to brake reasonable heavy as the bike braked it cut out and as I continued to travel I tried to down shift and "jump start it" but that didn't work. So as I continued to free-wheel (now at about 30 - 40mph) I turned off the ignition and turned it on again and hey presto the bike came alive again.

Any thoghts as to what could be happening?

Thanks for reading and for your suggestions.

Regards

Jim

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
imported post

I think tripping the bank angle sensor requires turning off then back on. Maybe a short there. Bad connection in the kill switch?

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

I agree that it sounds like the symptoms of a bad BAS (bank angle sensor). Its job is to turn off the motorcycle engine when it falls over or leans past a certain angle. The only way to start the bike after it operates is to turn off the switch and that resets it.

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

What year is your bike? If it is an 88-93 model then the BAS is covered by a recall. Here is the text of another thread about this problem. It was written by Satan, another member here, who is very knowledgable ablout these bikes.

Satan says: "I would agree with the Bank Angle Sensor (BAS) being a prime suspect for the first condition (bike dies in operation, key OFF-ON cycle resets this to operational). Your '91 is covered by the lifetime recall on the BAS and a dealer should be able to tell you if your VIN has had the warranty work done.

The text of the recall can be found here: http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1500%20Service%20Bulletins/1500SB6.pdf ; it may help to have this in hand as you contact your dealer (1995 was a long time ago) -- The Recall indicates that an "X" was to have been marked on the right lower frame rail just above the pad on the rear brake lever to identify the bikes that had had the replacement. I would recommend taking a look there for the "X" and contacting your dealer for the recall by VIN if you don't find the "X". Typically I like to use the Cruise ON lamp to validate the power control from the BAS system (it controls the Ign/Cruise relay), but that'll be an issue in your case -- With a BAS "trip" condition (the stall and no re-start, before resetting the key OFF-ON) you should notice that the radio and CB do not mute when you press the starter switch. Normal operation is to have the starter switch provide a 12V signal to the Radio and the CB to MUTE their audio when the starter switch is pressed... the 12V for that MUTE is controleld by the IGN/CRUISE relay which would not be engaged if the BAS has tripped.

Not recommended on a bike, but the BAS can be bypassed by shorting its Red(white-stripe) wire to ground (green wire). BAS is located below the top frame after the shock and seat mounts behind the right saddlebag."

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Since the BAS recall listed above is a NHTSA (USA) deal, it's likely not avialable to you there in Newry, Jim.

The BAS is a pendulum that swings in a plastic box full of damping silicone fluid -- the issue behind them is that the fluid will leak-out an allow the pendulum to become terribly over sensitive -- exactly what you're describing

The electrical bypass above ought'a get you going, but does defeat the BAS function. Sine folks have removed the BAS, then drilled into the pendulum's chamber and filled it up with houshold caulking compound (kills the function, but there's no harness modification).

If ya need a hand locating a viable replacement BAS, let me know and we'll find ya one.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Hi guys, many thanks for your input. I'd agree with you and it does look like the BAS is the issue.

Satan, if you're able to confirm a suitable "plug-in" replacement that would be great.

I was going to ask Cyclemax to quote for 1 off part number 06352-MAF-000

Thanks and regards

Jim

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Hi Satan,

This is what Betty at Cyclemax quoted:

Jim,

Thanks for your inquiry.

Part 06352-MAF-000 is available and your price is $36.10 USD. Shipping to Ireland would be $35.00 USD.

We went to the 1993 1500 SE fiches and found the bank angle assembly (see #5 in pic below). The part number for this item is 35160-MAF-013 (this is a superceded number!) and your price is $96.74 USD. Cost for shipping is the same. BOTH parts are available! We just want to be certain you are requesting the correct part.

As you can see they are quoting two different part numbers...... makes its a little confusing. The VIN no. of my bike is SC2213PA500522, does this help identify the correct part number.

There's also quite a difference in price between both versions. Are you able to shed any light on the correct part taht I need?

Many thanks!

Jim

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Hi Guys,

Gary at Cyclemax also suggests my 1993 GL1500 should take a different BAS as indicated by this and other forums. Here's what Gary said:

Jim,

You need part number 35160-MAF-013 for your bike. The cost is $96.74 plus the shipping cost of $35.00. Let us know if you would like it.

Thanks, Gary

It would be greatly appreciated if anyone on here could confirm which BAS I need to get..... my bike's a 1993 GL1500SE vin. no. SC2213PA500522

There's quite a difference in price between the two versions and yet, from the photos I've sceen, they both look very similar.

Many thanks for your thoughts

Jim

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Jim_C wrote:
You need part number 35160-MAF-013 for your bike...
...It would be greatly appreciated if anyone on here could confirm which BAS I need to get..... my bike's a 1993 GL1500SE...
> It looks like you have the right Part Number.

> Source:
- Per Honda Direct's Site (listed under "Engine Guard" for 1993 GL1500SE), it says
- Item-5, SENSOR ASSY., STOP 35160-MAF-013 (replaces35160-MAF-003)

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Jim_C wrote:
You need part number 35160-MAF-013 for your bike...
...It would be greatly appreciated if anyone on here could confirm which BAS I need to get..... my bike's a 1993 GL1500SE...
> It looks like you have the right Part Number.

> Source:
- Per Honda Direct's Site (listed under "Engine Guard" for 1993 GL1500SE), it says
- Item-5, SENSOR ASSY., STOP 35160-MAF-013 (replaces35160-MAF-003)

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Haven't received it yet, ordered from Cyclemax last Saturday and it will take about 2 weeks to get to me in Ireland..... I'll let you all know if the new BAS fixes my problem.

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

garden variety bas switch sticky...also kills switch and kickstand switch intermitant prob.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

New BAS arrived today, from Cyclemax (thanks Gary for a great service!).

Took less than 10 minutes to fit, with just the seat off. Working fine, passed a very vigorous handle bar shake whilstidling on the centre stand.

The old one was definitely knackered, it felt empy as you could hear & feel something rattling around inside when you moved or shook it.

Many thanks for your help sorting this problem.

Regards

Jim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.