Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have always dreamed of owning a GW. A retailer has the 1994 with 154k miles for sale at $3k. Hubby said that's a great buy and we will get many years of enjoyment. I am concerned about the miles. What do you say?

·
Registered
4 Posts
The engines are quite long lasting. However, expect to do a lot of the maintenance yourselves to be affordable since they require quite a lot of upkeep (in my opinion, compared to other bikes). The timing belts need to be done roughly every 100k miles but earlier if not used much - others may comment on this. So you'd want to factor this in. It's not a huge job or very tricky if you know which end of a spanner to hold and there are some great guides online. In fact, there are great guides online and info for heaps of repairs and services. So, only think about owning a Goldwing if you're prepared to spend some time and money to keep it going. I feel the ride is very rewarding and worth the effort. You'll want to make sure it has been well kept to in order to minimise the maintenance you will have to do straight up.

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Where are you from?

The GL1500 is a great machine. Very reliable with documented examples of mileage three times that amount. Most of us here would have no hesitation buying that bike and having many happy (s)miles for years to come.

That said, is is a 27 year old bike with 150,000 miles. Just like a car, you should be prepared to do some degree of maintenance and repairs yourself. Most Honda dealers will not work on it. You should go in with eyes open. Unless it comes with a complete maintenance history and documentation, be prepared to spend a good amount of time and money just to have confidence. There used to be a great appendix to this forum that detailed all the important maintenance techniques but the site owners be decided to remove it. If you search you can still find the links to those articles. Here's a start: (working) links to the "How-To" Workshop Tutorials | Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (goldwingfacts.com)

IMHO, while not out of the ordinary for a dealer, the price is on the high side. There are cheaper GL1500s out there and you are within sight of a 2001-2005 GL1800 with same or lower miles.

·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
Unless it is very nice, well maintained and has new tires and brakes $3000 is high for that bike. The mileage doesn't matter.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I bought a 99 GL1500 SE for $3500.00 with 44,000 miles on it. I put another $1,000.00 of parts in it to make it suit me. I replaced the rear shocks, did the Race Tech springs and valve emulators in the forks, all new high quality brake pads and steel braided brake lines. Have had lots of fun with it. Took it to Boston with my wife this summer. 450 miles each way. One day out , one day back. Good bike!

It had good maintenance and had always been garaged. To me it was worth the money. I also have 2 other bikes.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
as all have said, the 1500s are a good reliable bike, but with the dealers no longer willing to service them, you need to be able to do the work yourself, or have a good friend who is able to do the work for you.

I bought my current bike with 17 years of age on it, and 98,000 miles and it has run like a top ever since. No issues at all, other than routine maintenance to keep them well oiled and purring like a kitten.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
I don't know where your located. I'd look for Goldwing riders in your area. They could give you some answers to your questions. Dealers may not work on that year Wing but independent shops are around. Just because they want $3000 doesn't mean they want take less. Money talks and they will listen. Here is a place for some help......Goldwing GL1500 DIY How-To Articles • goldwingdocs.com ....... My wing is well taken care of. I go out in my shop every night and read him stories Then cover him with a blanket so he can sleep. BS

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We are looking at purchasing this. Is it a good buy? Any particular questions we should ask the dealer? Is there a report for cycles like carfax for auto

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
We are looking at purchasing this. Is it a good buy? Any particular questions we should ask the dealer? Is there a report for cycles like carfax for auto

Great bike. Pretty good deal. Better prices to be found. Even SE for a bit less but not a real bad deal either.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
personally i would look for a wing with less mileage. i know you are going to hear about wings with double the mileage that still run great but follow your heart and if that wing doesn't sit well with you then pass on it

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Guess you have been putting some long miles on a motorcycle. Then decided to step up to a Goldwing to ride the best.

You won't find a better ride and pure pleasure out on the road. Good luck and hope you find what your after.

·
Magic Moderator
4,633 Posts
That one has the improved transmission and better lighting. I believe it is 1998 where they used the Valkyrie transmission parts. The mileage is excellent and you will have many years of riding with this one.
:)

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,751 Posts
You've got two threads going on...that's not good, and the mileage numbers don't match. Is is 54 or 154K?

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Dennis can you come over and help me uncross my eyes. You have 2 post on Tech Forum and 1 on General Discussion. What is that all about?

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
862 Posts
That one has the improved transmission and better lighting. I believe it is 1998 where they used the Valkyrie transmission parts. The mileage is excellent and you will have many years of riding with this one.
:)
Pretty sure it was '97 they started using Valkyrie transmissions and Chinese alternators.... o_O Or was it '96 on the alternators... o_O o_O o_O

Reactions: Wingsconsin

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,751 Posts
Dennis can you come over and help me uncross my eyes. You have 2 post on Tech Forum and 1 on General Discussion. What is that all about?
I merged the two threads, then, moved that new thread to general because it really wasn't a mechanical/technical type of question.

And since the Vertigo people took over, all those remnants of old threads can't actually be deleted.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Folks I think we have a winner Thanks Dennis.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts