Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
I'm curious do you have experience riding a large motorcycle? A Goldwing is very heavy and some time has a mind of it's own. If I'm wrong asking this question I apologize for my mistake.
I was looking at two different cycles. The 94 had 154k and the 99 had 54k

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I'm curious do you have experience riding a large motorcycle? A Goldwing is very heavy and some time has a mind of it's own. If I'm wrong asking this question I apologize for my mistake.
No it's a good question and my husband thinks he can handle it. After I asked the question on the forum, a friend sold us today his 1988 1500 with only 50k for $3400. He also gave us the half helmets, various foot pedals, a brand new battery, and mikes for the helmets. Our friend is older than us and he is looking at buying the new three wheeler.

·
Magic Moderator
4,633 Posts
Congrats.
May I suggest taking a Basic Rider course to refresh ones skills. Find an empty parking lot and practice with the bike to get used to it. Be safe and enjoy the new Wing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thank you. I rode behind today for a couple laps in his work parking lot since they were closed. Until my husband gets familiar with the bike, I want to be safe. Afterwards, he said it was good practice for him.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
try some tight figure 8s in the parking lot, in the beginning try to keep them between two parking spaces..... do it in both directions.

it is a well known fact, that turning to the left is MUCH easier for all of us.... this has to do with the right foot being needed for the Brake Pedal.... we are ill at ease with turning to the right sharply w/o being able to put our foot down, and use the foot brake.

If in a sharp, low speed turn, never use the front wheel brake. That is a guarantee that you will be sitting on the ground NOW !!!
all bikes, and scooters obey this rule without fail.

My daughter has not ridden in many years, and I had bought a small 250cc scooter to ride around campsites and rallys with. I thought that she would be able to handle it easily, but I did NOT give her any instructions.... BAD BAD on my part.

She did not have the advantage of Muscle Memory for using brakes at slow speeds.
She left our driveway and turned onto the street in front of the house, going a trifle too fast, she used the right hand brake lever, which on nearly all bikes, is the Front Brake.

the scooter obeyed the laws of Physics, it went down NOW, and scared her. she has not ridden since.

when the weather gets warm, I am going to get her to riding on it again, and have her totally ignore the Right Hand brake lever, use only the Left Hand brake lever.... this scooter, as most of them do, does not have a Foot Brake at all.

Once we get her to riding again with comfort, then we will gradually bring in the effect of the Front Brake....

So, for your hubby, go back to the parking lot, and do a LOT of Figure 8s.....
slowly, begin to tighten them up, until he can make a full 360 left turn in the space of 1 parking space. It is difficult to do, but with a lot of practice, it will make him feel more confident of his skills.

Muscle Memory just cannot be over emphasized....
this comes with a LOT of riding, using the brakes to come to a complete stop at each intersection, or Positive Stop Sign.

I like to practice Slow Speed approaches to Stop Signs, and with Traffic Lights, I like to come down to about 3 mph or less for the last 200 yards, and see how slow I can go without needing to put my foot down as I come to a full stop....

with practice, he can do that, and approach a full stop at 1 mph easily.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
Slow Speed Stops without putting your foot down.

Use the Foot Brake with a small amount of throttle applied....
do NOT keep twisting the throttle, use the Foot Brake for speed control...

and use 2nd gear to do this.... 1st gear has too high of a ratio for this to work well.

have him make it a habit to Always use the Foot Brake to come to a Full Stop, and to use the throttle advanced "just barely", so the engine is pulling a tiny bit, but not hard enough to want to accelerate.

Modulate the Foot Brake to get a feel for how it will effect the bike at very slow speeds of less than 3 mph, I can approach a stop sign so slow, the Speedometer is on ZERO.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
I knew he didn't have experience. Riders don't ask the type of questions you ask. It was obvious and I meant no harm. If I might add rear view mirrors can save your life. Many bikers are killed by not paying attention what's around them. Good luck and many miles.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Like many have said, get the service records or be prepared to do a lot of preventive maintenance work. timing belts, alternator brushes, final drive, rear drive wheel splines, vacuum hoses, shifter seal, fork seals, whel bearings many rubber parts and just other parts on the bike that wear out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We have always dreamed of owning a GW. A retailer has the 1994 with 154k miles for sale at $3k. Hubby said that's a great buy and we will get many years of enjoyment. I am concerned about the miles. What do you say?
I just sold my 99SE without the seat for $1k, and bought a 99Aspy with 72K miles for $3K so be careful, if you check around with your local papers, Facebook GoldWing sites, and other motorcycle outlets you should be able to get a lot newer Wing with half the miles for the same price!

·
Registered
5 Posts
We have always dreamed of owning a GW. A retailer has the 1994 with 154k miles for sale at $3k. Hubby said that's a great buy and we will get many years of enjoyment. I am concerned about the miles. What do you say?
;)Like many have already stated, the Honda GoldWings are great and probably the best for comfort and longevity. (I've put close to 300K on my last two and on my third one now) Like all vehicles, cars or otherwise, they require preventative maintenance and occasional repair. Considering your potential purchase with only 154K miles, should you ride 10K miles per year, you can expect to get another 10 to 15 years of great riding experience out of it and much more if you ride less which most people do. As previously mentioned, 300K isn't uncommon for a "GoldWing" if taken care of and not hot-rodded or abused. (They are not a "Rice-Rocket") There are also many of us "Old Timers" who do our own maintenance and repair who will gladly help you throughout your lifetime should you ask? Good luck and enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
2000 Goldwing Anniversary Edition
1 Posts
Where are you? I have a 2000 Goldwing, just over 100K miles, and may be selling soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That sounds like a very high price. I bought my 97 Apencade two years ago from a buddy of mine who was the original owner. It had 24K miles on it. I got it for $1500. The bike was mint. Here in NY, people don't ride bikes in the winter so you can find low-miles bikes cheap, just like buying a car with no rust - you find then down south.

·
Registered
102 Posts
agree, but realize parts are getting harder to find. used parts are out there. like fuel pump about $150.00 ebay 3 months from japan/china

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Sounds to me like you and your husband got a fair deal. Enjoy.

But, I hope I never run into a 24k mile, late model, mint 1500 for $1500. I don’t need a third Wing.

I hope you were not laughing all the way down the driveway.

I drive past a 1500 frequently, that is sitting outside, tipped to the left, uncovered, here in the winter. Sad.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts