Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi,

I am hoping that someone can give me some pointers. My wing will always start easily in the garage even after a week of no riding. My method is always full choke - press starter for small burst and release. However when I use the machine and camp out overnight it does not want to start in the morning.

I dont know if it helps but the bike only ever starts when I release the starter button.

Could the battery be at fault? Is it worth buying a high performance one?

I am grateful for any advice.

The bike was imported from the USA.

Thanks

Tom

·
Administrator
27,889 Posts
imported post

My thought is the spark plug wires. When kept inside they stay dry and there is no leakage but outside the moisture in the air causes the spark to leak through the insulation and be weak at the plugs.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
imported post

Hi Stiffy,

You do need to release the button for the bike to start, so no problem there.

When parked outside did you leave the bike with the reverse lever engaged? These can 'stick' even though youreturn the lever to the normal position before starting.

Does the bike try to start, turn very slowly, nothing at all happens or what?

If you can supply further info then i'm sure one of us will be able to give you some better advice.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Hi Bob,

The bike turns over OK although i would not say it was fast. On the last occasion that it would not start after it had spent the night outside I did not let the battery flatten but attached a car battery with jump leads and the engine did turn considerably faster than normal and the bike started without choke after a couple of tries.

The strange thing is that when garaged it starts immediately even if the bike has sat a week without the optimate.

Regards

Tom

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
imported post

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM AND IT WOULD ONLY START WHEN I RELEASED THE STARTER BUTTON . I FELT THE ENGINE WAS TURNING OVER FAST ENOUGH. I JUST LIVED WITH IT.I STARTED HAVING ALTERNATOR PROBLEMS. I NOTICED THROUGH THE VOLT METER THAT THE OHM ALTERNATOR COULD'NT HANDLE THE ENTRA LIGHTS ON THE BIKE. THE ORIGINAL ALTERNATOR IS RATED FOR 40 AMPS. I TOOK THE PLUNGE AND INVESTED IN THE CAMPU FIRE ALTERNATOR THAT PUTS OUT 90 AMPS. WITH THE BIKE IN IDLE AND ALL THE EXTRAS ON THE VOLT METER SHOWS OK. I TOUCH THE STARTER AND IT FIRES UP IMMEDIATELY. YOU WILL HAVE TO REPLACE THE BATTERY WITH A MAINTENANCE FREE BATTERY. HOPE THIS HELPS. WITH NEW SYSTEM IN THE ENGINE TURNS OVER A LOT FASTER AND STARTS IMMEDIATELY. RON

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
imported post

I think you will find that your battery is getting weak. It may well be wiresat faultfor it not starting when sitting outside but starting when you release the starter button is the classic indication of a weak battery. Seems it takes quite a bit of energy to fire plugs anda weak battery, even a slightly weak one, will not furnish enough energy to run the starter AND fire the plugs. When you release starter button the engine is still turning andall the batteryenergy goes to thespark plugs and the engine starts.I had the same thing with enginenotstarting until the button was released and a new battery cured it. There have been several posts identifying this condition

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
imported post

Had the same problem with my 95 starting on release of the button. Had to clean the start switch. Haven't had a problem since.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
imported post

I bought my 1500 Sey new in 2001 and as far as I can remember it's only ever started after releasing the starter button.:? Although the battery currently on the bike is two yearsold, it's kept up to full charge asI use a battery tender.

How did you clean the starter switch? Did you just spray in some wd40 or did you strip it down to do it? If so, what is the procedure?

Thanks in advance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.