Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just noticed the mpg was 23. It wont hold a steady 950rpm. It rises and falls plus I smell fuel like it is running rich. I havent found any fuel leaks.

Can someone tell me where to start and what to look for?

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I haven't checked yet. I was waiting for a reply to see where to start. I will check them and get back to you. Thanks JWayne

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

Hi Rudy when did you last service the bike re fuel and air filter and how long is the rpm problem been happening

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I've had the bike for about 6 months and the guy I bought it from said thatit was servicedprior to me getting it. I still have my doubts because it never idled smoothly from day one and he told me he didn't know why. I checked the air filter and it looks clean. I've tried a couple of tanks of sea foam but no change. It does bog down for a split second if I throttle it quick. I've also noticed that I have to set the choke at about 1/2 way down to start it and warm it up. Is that normal? I'm not exactly sure of the tank capacity (I figured 5.5 to 5.9 gallons)but I fill up and get about 130 milesand its almost on empty. I'm a small engine mechanic and I'm hoping to do the work myself. I just got a factory service & repair manual the other day

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Don't pay much attention to the fuel gauge goldwing fuel gauges are very unreliable. They do have alot of vaccum hoses perhaps one of them is loose or damaged
Wilf

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

Remove the left handlebar plastic filler. Beneath you will see the intake air horn. Get a short piece of hose and put in the opening of the horn. While the bike is idling and on center stand spray some carb clean with snorkel attached into the hose.

If the idle picks up and smooths out you have a lean condition, if it further destroys idle then too rich. Very simple to do and get back to the forum with the results.

JD

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Just to be sure, Are you talking about the plastic cover over the handlebars that covers the wires? I'm not real familiar with the names of the parts yet.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,198 Posts
imported post

Your symptom is typical of clogged idle circuit jets.

If you are patient, and consistently run a rich Sea Foam mixture, it might dissolve it. It takes a LOT of IDLING time with a very rich mixture to clean the idle circuits. Running down the highway does nothing towards cleaning the idle circuits. Once you get over 1200 RPM, they are bypassed and the main jets come into play.

But, your history of the bike indicates to me that it is time to remove the carbs and thoroughly clean all passages.

Many have very good results with boiling water.

Get a new set of seals, o-rings.
Check the diaphragms to be sure they do not have a pin hole in them.

When you put it back together, be sure both of the slides are free to fall quickly if you lift them gently and release.

Once started, with the carbs still open to your site, (don't cover anything up until done) make sure that both slides operate evenly together when the throttle is opened.

Read these threads before you get started:

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorcycle/text/how_cv_carbs_work_v3.swf

http://goldwingtech.info/carbpix/carbshots1.htm

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/77599.html

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1500balancecarbs.htm

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/95427.html

http://www.hrot.org/martino/carb/index.htm

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/104275.html

and this one shows a carb full of bad woes,
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/103270.html

Hope this helps.
John

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

The slightly crescent shaped filler panel where the bars extend up through from triple tree. The air horn is circled.

JD

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Oh O.K., I see it now. I'm going to pull the plugs first this morning, then do what you said to check. Thanks JD

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thank you sir. I really appreciate the info. You are probably right about this. when I used the seafoam, I took off riding and burned a full tank. I did not idle it much.

How much Seafoam do you recommend I put in it? Ijust filled it up this morning.

Also, how long do I let it just idle?

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

I have been using 1/2 a can of SeaFoam to a tank. (stuff works great)

But maybe you can put a whole can with mostly empty tank start it up get the mixture into the carbs (idleing) and the shut it of for several hours.

This will get a high concetration into the carbs an start disolving any deposits.

Then I would go fill it up and the let it idle/city driving (stop and go)for a while.

I would change the fuel filter before starting onthis endevor too.

It probably with take several tank fulls to clean it up. If that doesn't work, then a carb rebuild/ vacumn leak check is in order.

I believe AZGL1500 has it covered.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

The plugs look fine. The gap was off on all of them, but they were close. I set them all the same. Going to put more seafoam in and idle it for a while

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

I would guess ~15 minutes or until full warmed up from a cold start.

Keep an eye on the temp guage, just to make sure that it will not overheat, if the fans don't kick on.

Also, you may see steam/fog out the tail pipes because of the seafoam being strong.

Make sure this is all done outside with plenty of ventilation.

If you are running rich, there will be plenty of carbon monoxide, very dangerous.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Thanks rottie.I'm doing that now. I put a fan in front of the radiator just to hopefully keep it a little cooler.

Can you give me a number on the hours to let it sit?

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

4 am tomorrow morning ;):)

NOT!!!!

I would take it for a ride tomorrow morning, lots of stop and go, very gently, lots of idling, with a fewget-up and go jaunts. Remember the idle circuit cuts over to the main jets at ~1200rpm.

Take your cell phone just in case it totally cloggs up and it will not run.

Don't expect this to fix in one shot. You may have to do this several times.

If it does not improve after the 4-5 times, then I would seriously consider pulling the carbs and givng them a very thorough clean/rebuild.

Check all vacumn hoses, and for vacumn leaks.

New air,fuel filter, spark plugs with proper gap, etc

Use fresh gas for this whole project.

On your fuel mileage, use miles from the odometerand gallons from the pump. Do not use the gas guage as they are notoriusly in-accurate.

Fill up to the same level each time.

I would keep a record of gallons used and miles drivenfor a while, something like 10-20 tanks fills.

Then calculate your mileage over that.

Mileage on these bikes is very dependant on takeoff speed (take off like a granny), top speed (less that 70MPH), andtire pressure (~40psi up front, ~41 in back) and riding one-up, shift early (~2000rpm) for maximum mileage.

Keep us posted on your results.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
imported post

My bike did the same thing, idle wasn't steady. I put up with it for 5 months while looking for the problem. Finally cleared up. Another thing that has worked for some, turn the idle adjust screw back and forth a few times. Don't know why, but some have had success.
One thing I notied when mine started idling even, the choke lever felt different. Like it would move a ways before doing anything. Maybe it was stuck before, or maybe I'm just imagining it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.