Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi All,

I posted this in the old forum, but got no response so here goes. I would like toknow if it is worth the effort to remove the standard spring shock and add another air shock? A tee could be added from the right hand air shock/fill hose. TIA

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the new style forum. Not surprised your message didn't get any replies on the old forum as this one is much better. The old one isn't even getting many views now according to the stats there as people are migrating to this one. Anyway, fitting two air shocks is not a good idea. You need the combination of the single air shock and the spring one as they both perform slightly different functions. I know a guy in Germany who did this and regretted it (suspension bottomed out all the time even on full air) and he changed it back very quickly.
You would be better off putting two normal (heavy)shocks in and getting rid of the air shock altogether, or leaving well enough alone.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
imported post

:pIdon,t know about dual air shocks, however you may consider one of progressive suspensions 450ias rear shock. I recently fitted one to my 1500 and what a difference it has made.

joe

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
imported post

:DHi all found time to log onto new site board checking out the topics sad news of the death of fellow winger .I`ve had a share with stray dogs nasty buisness.

Relating to this topic on shocks i`ve found my 96 1500 bottoms out when two up are most of the 1500 bit weak in this area? Been told to up the pressure via on board compressor I`m at 70 now what is the max can seals be blown if to high and does the compressor do the front and back together to balance bike out.

Cheers to all.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

The air suspension control on the 1500 only pumps the rear suspension, if your Wing is an American spec SE you will have air nipples in the forks as well but have to pump the air in manually.
If your bike bottoms out at max pressure then either the shock is worn out, you and your passenger & luggage weigh a good bit over the 400lb limit (although you would need to weigh around 500lbs betwen you to make a difference) or both.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

Sounds like a good idea to me,but I am going a step farther by getting the progressive 416's.run direct to a fill valve in the saddle bag.Gremlins have started in my 1995 gl 1500 SE.My old 1200 -1984 had two air shocks.Asked a mechanic that question,he said "Honda said the swing arm is strong enough that only one air shock is needed."My thought is two is balanced

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
imported post

How did you get on with the 416s? I'd be interested to know if they are better than the stock shock setup.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
imported post

as well as not putting 2 air shocks on dont be tempted to put 2 standared spring shocks on as you end up with no suspension at all( been there done it)

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
imported post

Iwould also interested in fitting an aftermarket shock to my GL1500 Goldwing

Does the progressive 450 take its air suppely from the bikes compressor? Would it be suitable for sidecar use?

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

glennuk wrote:
as well as not putting 2 air shocks on dont be tempted to put 2 standared spring shocks on as you end up with no suspension at all( been there done it)
Hear hear. I always believed the Goldwing needs a combination of seperate air and standard shocks. Standard shocks just aren't up to the job. It's a credit to Honda how they managed to get the monoshock to work so well in the GL1800. I think they took a chance and stuck their necks out on that one and it seems to have paid off. :clapper:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.