Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Howdy from Alberta Canada! Need a little help with winterizing the Wing.

I was told to shut off fuel, run floats dry, spray some fogger oil (same as putting teaspoon of oil in cylinder) in each cylinder, and crank engine manually or with starter.

Question. Where is fuel shutoff? I've heard talk of vacuum petcocks on gas tanks but not sure how or if I can manuallyactivate shut off. I just want to turn off fuel so I can run floats dry.

This is my firstWingand is quite frustrating. Rode dirt bikes all my life and all I had to do was reach down and turn dial.lol

Help and thanks!!

Clint

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

I don't know if there is a shut off valve. I haven't found one on my 15. You may have to disconnect the fuel filter and run it out that way:?

Maybe someone will be along shortly with a better suggestion

Ok, don't do the removing the fuel filter and trying to run fuel out, as the fuel pump will still be pumping fuel.

Thanks to the member that brought that to my attention:waving:

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

:15red:Welcome to this Great Site!:12black:
Pull up a chair and join on in!
:stumped:Got a Technical question on your wing:stumped:
Technical Forum
:baffled:Got a General Motorcycle Question:baffled:
General Motorcycle Forum
:bowing:Most of all we're glad you joined and:bowing:

:action:look forward seeing you on the forums and on the road :action:

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

csconsult wrote:
Question. Where is fuel shutoff? I've heard talk of vacuum petcocks on gas tanks but not sure how or if I can manuallyactivate shut off. I just want to turn off fuel so I can run floats dry.

This is my firstWingand is quite frustrating. Rode dirt bikes all my life and all I had to do was reach down and turn dial.lol

Help and thanks!!

Clint

No "manual" Petcock Valve, as it is vacuum operated. Follow the advice inlink above RE Sea Foam, change oil/filter and place a good 'smart' trickle charger(such as Battery Tender Plus)on battery for 1 week a month while laid up .... and endure the white season. :(

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Welcome Clint!

You could disconnect the vacuum to the shutoff valve if you are intent on running it dry.

I used to run it dry (with my 1100 not the 1500), but recently I actually quit doing that. In cold storage for a few months there isn't going to be much evaporation and it takes too much cranking to get started in the spring if everything is dry. I'll chance it.. and so far I am 5 out of 5 years with an easy start in the spring.... and no clogged carbs..

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
imported post

Just fill the tank . Add some fuel stabilizer . Run it for a while and park it on its duel stand. Now it ready for winter.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,707 Posts
imported post

+1 one on fuel stabilizer and a full tank of fuel, right to the top of the neck.

that way, no rust build up in the tank.

and the Center Stand !!!

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
imported post

I'm no mechanic, but if you run the carbs dry, don't you run the chance if drying out the gaskets & o-rings inside the carbs? I fill my tank & add the proper amount of SeaFoam when I park my bikes for the winter...-Rich

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

The vacuum operated fuel shutoff is visible when the gas cap door is open. That said I believe the "turn off the fuel" advice is well intended, but inapplicable for the GL-150.

·
751 Posts
imported post

To my understanding all of you folks in Cali don`t have to winterize your wings as you are able to ride pretty much all year long ! Not true for us folks here in Colorado as we are able to get our bikes out in the winter there are periods where we have 3 weeks of snow on the ground !Now that doesn`t hold true for last year I was able to ride every day except for about a week ! Let me clarify this for you folks ! If you don`t like the weather wait 5 minutes & itll change ! Other than that when its cold & we must winterize I make sure there is gas , put on a battery tender & set the bike up on the center stand & thats it & its good until you can take the bike out in 2-3 weeks !:cool:

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
+1 one on fuel stabilizer and a full tank of fuel, right to the top of the neck.

that way, no rust build up in the tank.

and the Center Stand !!!
And when you put it on the centerstand make sure it's on a piece of plywood the length of the bike, or place cardboard under the bike. Bike on cold concrete builds up condensation on the underside of the bike and promotes rusting.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
imported post

....and don't forget to stuff all the orifice's with Downy dryer sheets to discourage mice tenants.

·
On a Wing & a KLR
287 Posts
imported post

As others have said; fill the tank with fuel, add StaBil and run the bike to get the StaBil in the carbs. Come spring what I like to do is syphon the fuel out of the bike and put it in my wife's car and fill the bike with fresh stuff. I have used this method for years in my CBX's, a bike with six carbs, and never had a problem starting in the spring.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

Winter? What's.... winter? ;)

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,707 Posts
imported post

us385south wrote:
Winter? What's.... winter? ;)
I've been led to believe that's the stuff of dreams :action:

Never saw nuthin like that 'round here :D

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
imported post

Due to the current poor fuel Marine Stabil is being reccomended around here. Does a 1500 have a fuel pump fuse?
You could pull that if it has one.
On my old bikes I run the fuel out of the carbs but I've been using Stabil in my spare wing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.