Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I'm giving the bike a complete TLC clean up. The manual indicates that there is a filter in the air pump, under the rubber cover where the wire harness goes into the pump. The manual indicates that it needs to be cleaned and re-oiled. I would like to replace it with a new one. I went to the local Honda dealer and they told me that there isn't one listed in the parts manual. Does anyone know where to purchase this filter?

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
imported post

Would a part number help? see below

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_secti...ry=MOTORCYCLES&make=HONDA&year=1990&fveh=3486

17253-KT8-000 Filter, sub air cleaner

Forgive me here as I don't know the author of this note, probably from this wonderful site.

As you don't have the year of your SE in your profile I just used the same year as my own. 1990, yours may differ

If you haven't changed these, don't feel too bad. I never knew these existed until last month. The Honda parts man didn't either (no surprise). These are two very small filters on the left and right side of the air filter.

I suggest starting with the cruise filter first. pre set up: take seat off, dash, side pockets, side panels. Get something cold to drink and a nice clean place for the panels and bolts.

You do not need to take off the reverse gear switch, but take off all the bolts holding the plastic panel on the bike so it's loose.The cruise control unit is just to the left of the hose coming out of the gas cap. Actually that hose is clamped onto the clip that holds the rear filter bolt to the frame. That bolt you need to unscrew (phillips). Then using a 9 metric (I think) undo the front bolt. Be very careful not to drop the bolt or nut while undoing this (or it might fall into that black hole that sucked up your air filter box screws. Maybe thats why they give you 6). Now, the case is free and you can swing it up and pop off that little filter case off the unit. It just snaps out and back. Oil (90 wt) the new pad and reassemble.

The subfilter is much easier. Take right panel off that guards the airbox. The sub filter case has a large black (attatched) tube going up to the right front pocket. There, it T's to two relays. I'm not sure of the function of the filter, but mine was crumbled and rotted out. To take this off the bike, simply unbolt the unit, unplug the hose. There are 2 small plastic clips holding it together. be sure to oil this filter too. and re assemble bike. don't forget the seat. Ride on.

note: Oiling the filters will keep the dust on the filter.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Thank you for the info. When I replaced the Desiccant in the air pump I was able to remove, clean and re-install the filter in the air pump. It was in good shape. My sub filter crumbled also, oiled the new one and replaced it. The filter in the cruse control was in good shape, just needed cleaning and oiling too. Thanks again for the info.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.