Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Professional Curmudgeon
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Yesterday 2 up and trailer going down the road and all of a sudden it started acting like it was running out of gas. I hit the choke and that helped for a min then it quit. I stopped for a few minutes and it fired back up and ran then acted up again. I stopped for 10 min it started right up and it ran fine the rest of the 3 miles home. Any suggestions?

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

When was the last time you changed the fuel filter?

·
Professional Curmudgeon
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Bought the bike 2 months ago, I have not changed it but I'll have a new one put in when I have the air filter changed. Also is the air filter that hard to change that I need the shop to do it?

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Davek wrote:
is the air filter that hard to change that I need the shop to do it?

Not hard at all. You can change both out and have it back together again in about 2 hours.

While you are in there for that, you might as well order and change out the Sub-Air Cleaner Filter element, which is usually ignored and as it ages,has a habit of disintegrating and clogging up your carbs. :whip:It is located under the right fairing pocket.

You could also change out the Cruise Valve Filter Element, located on the other side of the air filter housing, while you have things apart. The filter housing just pulls/snaps off of the Cruise Valve body.

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
imported post

Davek wrote:
Yesterday 2 up and trailer going down the road and all of a sudden it started acting like it was running out of gas. I hit the choke and that helped for a min then it quit. I stopped for a few minutes and it fired back up and ran then acted up again. I stopped for 10 min it started right up and it ran fine the rest of the 3 miles home. Any suggestions?
I would suspect two things:

1. Fuel filter (as others have mentioned).

2. Automatic fuel shut-off valve. They have been known to cause "fuel feed" problems.

Based on your description, I would give a nod toward the automatic fuel shut-off valve.

You can remove it and check the rubber diaphragm.

Usually when fuel filters are clogged up, the symptoms are fuel starvation at speed when "increasing significant throttle". Not usually level flat out running.

As far as the Sub Air Filter and the Cruise Filter, you need to remove the right inner and left inner fairing panels respectively. These panels are not removed for just an air filter change.

However, so much for the theory of "while you are in there", change the sub air and cruise filters.

There is a little extra work to change the sub air and cruise filters, but I would recommend changing them (if they have never been changed).

The air filter is easy to change, just takes a little time. I have a detailed procedure (with a few tips) if you are interested. But the Honda service manual describes it quite well.

Dave Bohrer
[email protected]

·
Professional Curmudgeon
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks everyone for the help and advice.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

i had that problem...almost drove me crazy tryin to figure it out...turned out to be a rotten fuse...that looked good!

·
Professional Curmudgeon
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

grambo wrote:
i had that problem...almost drove me crazy tryin to figure it out...turned out to be a rotten fuse...that looked good!
Which fuse?

And I took the bike out today filled it with fuel and it ran great! Now I'm really confused. :?

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
imported post

i've heard on the 1200 the gas cap can cause this problem not sure if it applies to your problem???

just my 2 cents :)

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
imported post

WOW Dont this sound familier. I was coming back from a rally pulling a trailer 1up into about a 30 mph wind trying to do 75 when it died. A couple min later it started. I got going again and it did it again down shift. kind come out of it but would still do it. Hmm first thought not getting gas or enough air. I was told at the dealership they had put a new fuel pump in it so I started looking else where, pump wasnt on my mind. I did all these things before the pump. Fuel filter, k & n air filter, plugs, carb kits nothing helped. I could simulate the same thing as pulling the trailer by trying to do over 100mph up hill. I replaced the fuel pump and have not had a problem since. Now the kicker you need to read the resent posting about the pump replacement. But I would recomend you change the fuel filter first before the pump.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/73292.html

also here is the orginal posting about what happened to another rider.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/50400.html

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

hey, mine did the same thing in W V. we hit a detour from the highway, hotter than heck while only having a 1/8 tank, light not even on. got back on the freeway and all of a suuden, it dies, wouldn't start so put the choke on full and it would run. went about a mile like that filled the tank and never had a problem after that. i think i got some bad gas and when it got hot from sitting in traffic it started to vapor lock until i got some cool gas in the tank. thats my story.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
imported post

Not sure if this will help but our 1500 did the same thing. Our problem turned out to be the kill switch had a short in the connection. We had already changed the fuel filter, taken the fuel pump out and had it tested and went through a battery of other diagnostic procedures. Instead of replacing the kill switch we opted to bypass it since we have a voyager trike kit on this bike and did not feel the kill switch was a necessity. Hope this helps, good luck!

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
imported post

Does my 1985 1200 aspencade have the same Sub-Air Cleaner Filter element because I am having similar problems and cannot find whats wrong, thanks

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

Dupe, the longer answer is that it could be any one, or combination of, a number of problems that are causing your 1200 to die. Depressing, eh? (I'm Canadian. Couldn't resist the EH :D) No fun sitting on the side of the road. Been there. Done that. Hope not to again. Back to your problem. It could be any of these, and possibly others;

1. Bad fuel. I had my '87 leave me on the side of the road in Montana in June and the dealer I talked to in Missoula told me the horror stories their shop is having with the poor quality of gas in that area. Said it's so bad that the weekend ATV warriors are experiencing gummed up systems from lack of daily use of their ATVs. His wife had taken a small jar of Regular (87%) gas, with 10% ethanol, and placed it in a sunny window for 3 days and it developed a green scum on it. Ethanol is a bio-organic substance made from corn. It'll grow under the right conditions. Imagine that in your bike's system. Good argument for running no-ethanol fuel.
2. Fuel filter. Lots of literature on this site about the things that will clog fuel filters and refuse to let the bike run the way it should. Condition of the fuel tank may play a role here. Also, see #1 above.
3. Gas cap problem causing vacuum and reducing the ability of the fuel pump to deliver fuel. Solutions range from soaking the gas cap in Seafoam to drilling holes in gas caps. Again, lots of info through the index and search engine on this site.
4. Pulse generators (pulse coils) giving up the ghost. This is a not too uncommon problem with 1200s. The pulse generators send signals to the coils to do their thing and to the fuel pump to go ahead and pump that fuel. There is, again, a lot of literature on this site as to how to check them before replacing them. Not too difficult or expensive to replace. This turned out to be my '87s problem. Replaced it and it never again left me on the side of the road putting the Harley cover over the bike:cooldevil:. Good idea to carry an extra spark plug with you so you can easily check for spark when the situation occurs. The result may help diagnose the problem. For me, it always happened in very hot conditions and there was no way I could get close enough to it to pull a plug to check for spark. Extra plug is the answer.
5. Coils. If your pulse generators are working within their specified parameters it could be that one of your coils is not working. If the bike is shutting down completely it's doubtful this is your problem as it should still want to run on one coil (2 cylinders). Lots of info available to check these for failure.
6.Fuel pump. It could be that your fuel pump is no longer up to standards. Mechanic I've talked to thinks that fuel pumps on the 1200s are quite hardy and don't see many fail. If availability is any indication he may be right. Honda don't make 'em no more and try and find an aftermarket producer. Leads one to believe there's no market for them.
7. Ignition Control Unit. When I was trying to find the problem with my '87 the mechanic I spoke to told me this is not the problem you want to have. $$$$$$$ And the nice thing is that there's no test for it, unless someone has devised a way to check the little buggers. Here's the quote out of Cylmer's manual:
Honda does not provide test procedures or specifications
for the ignition control unit. If the ignition coils, the
pulse generator assembly, the gear shift sensor and the
wiring harness are good and the ignition timing is not
within specifications, replace the ignition unit with a
known good unit.

Basically, you check absolutely everything else and if all's well up to that point, it must be the ICU. Don't know how common failure is with these. Maybe others can relate their experiences.
8. Fuses. As already mentioned, sometimes fuses look good but have small cracks that mess with performance when a bike heats up. Main 30 amp fuse would be the one to check/replace. Recommend replacing with a blade type fuse if your bike still has the dogbone fuse. Try finding one of those on the road. Just be sure to use at least 12 gauge wire when replacing.
9.Kill switch. Like fuses, have a tendency to act up under hot conditions.
10. Vapor locking. This may also fall under #3. You may have a situation where your bike is vapor locking under high heat conditions. Again, search the site for info on how to check.

So there's my top ten. I'm sure I've missed some and the next guy will add to the list. Hope it helps. Just be patient and work through it.

You might also want to post your problem with as much specific info as possible on this site:

http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/index.php

They specialize in 1200s. Many are on this forum but there are some real wizards there, too.

Good luck, and don't forget to let us know what it turned out to be. Shared knowledge is shared power.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
imported post

No update if he got the problem fixed or not.
It sounds like it could have been the ole gas cap screwed on crooked to me.
I wonder what it was???????????

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.