Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

My 1500 has sat on and off over the last couple years. I am now in a position that I can start riding. The bike starts right up and will run with the choke off, but when I try to ride it it acts like i have a dead carb. I have replaced the fuel filter and the fuelpump as that is what caused it tosit. Where shouldi start from here. I have ran 2 cans of seafoam and have seen no change.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,793 Posts
imported post

have you taken the carb air filter off and inspected the sliders?

They should work very freely by touching them with a screwdriver and lifting them up in the bores. If not, then spray them with carb cleaner and keep working them back and forth. Careful, they scratch real easy.

If they move easily and return by themselves, start the engine and observe that they operate with vacuum equally. Might be a broken vacuum line or leaking line.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
imported post

suspect carbs a bit gummy from sitting up. like john said, pull breather, slide slides back and forth with finger. if they do not move very freely, spray with carb cleaner and work them. then spray with wd-40 and work them some more. but if you want them even better, take them off and do a though cleaning, look at seats and needle valves. may or may not need replaced.

there is a nice job, jim done showing about 1500 carbs http://www.hrot.org/martino/carb/index.htmi've used it a couple of times already. very helpful. good luck

mark:waving:

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Carb rebuild kits showed up today. I am going to start working on it this weekend. I am hoping to find something simple before pulling the carbs. The left slide was stuck when I started working on it again a couple months ago, but seems to be free now.

Pulling the carbs off might be a little bigger job than I am up to but will go as far as I can. I am hoping it looks worse than it is. I have had the plastic 6-8 times while replacing the fuel filter, air filter,fuel pump and looking for the simple stuff. A vacuum line would be a wonderful find.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

They should work very freely by touching them with a screwdriver and lifting them up in the bores. If not, then spray them with carb cleaner and keep working them back and forth.

Not sure what to read into this?? What am I lifting up? My slides are horizontal.

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

cash$$cow wrote:

They should work very freely by touching them with a screwdriver and lifting them up in the bores. If not, then spray them with carb cleaner and keep working them back and forth.

Not sure what to read into this?? What am I lifting up? My slides are horizontal.
Relatively speaking. The design is similar to all the other Honda carbs that are usually up......

In this case up is outward. Each slider should slide toward the outside.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Both slides are free. It fires right up and I can watch both slides moving while its running. Both carbs seem to spraying fuel when I turn the throttle. It " stumbles" if I try to ride it on take off but then runs "OK" if simply cruising. If you roll on the throttle medium to full it falls on its face until you back off the throttle.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Its "ridable" I put 70 miles on it the other night. it will hold 55 mile an hour on its own but beyond that i need to feather the choke. not sure i am doing the bike any favors. It is responsive to the choke somewhat at higher speeds. I was watching the temp as well.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
imported post

yeah, those chokes are tricky. probably needs taken apart and cleaned. was hopeing for you the heavy seafoam would clean them.

if you have heavy dose in there, may try starting and idle a bit, give some gas and put choke all the way down. then kill it if it dont die and let it sit over nite.

then ride another few miles and see if that helped. if not tear it down and do a real good job cleaning. good luck,

mark:waving:

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

Well the tear down is whay it needed. One carb looked ok. The other one was a mess. Took about 6 hours and was off riding. put 320 miles on it yesterday and today. $44 dollars and 6 hours well spent. Now all I need is tires

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.