Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 weeks ago I was a gas station and when I turned on my ignition switch I had no control panel lights on at all. But my bike started up when I pushed the starter button. Last week I was at a gas station and tried to start my bike I had
no lights again and my bike would not turn over...dead...nothing.
I took my side covers off and made sure my battery connections were secure they were. I looked at the
dog bone fuse and it looked ok. I went to the other side and removed every fuse and "looked" at them and they were ok.
I then turned my bike over and my lights were back on and it started!
What did I do to make it work? What Should I check for? I don't want to get stranded.
Should I quit going to gas stations?
:unsure:

·
Premium Member
3,741 Posts
2 weeks ago I was a gas station and when I turned on my ignition switch I had no control panel lights on at all. But my bike started up when I pushed the starter button.

Are you talking about the following:

Tachometer and Speedometer lights, Two dash lights, Low fuel, oil pressure, side stand and overdrive indicator lights on the instrument panel plus the gas gauge and fuel gauge..

Last week I was at a gas station and tried to start my bike I had no lights again and my bike would not turn over...dead...nothing.

You may have had a starter switch (Button) failure.

I took my side covers off and made sure my battery connections were secure they were. I looked at the dog bone fuse and it looked ok.

The Dog Bone fuse (if bad) will not keep your bike from starting....!! But the alternator will not charge the battery...!

I went to the other side and removed every fuse and "looked" at them and they were ok

I am not surprised....!!

What did I do to make it work? What Should I check for? I don't want to get stranded.

If the instrument panel lights I mentioned above were out, I suspect you had an issue with the Tail Main Relay # 3. It powers all those lights gauges....!!

I also suspect you may have a faulty (dirty contacts) in your starter switch (button). Try spraying some electrical contact cleaner in and around the starter switch (button).

Question: Do you have a few extra (additional) lights on the rear of your bike that are powered from the original bike wiring...?? Wondering if you have overloaded the relay # 3....!!

Should I quit going to gas stations?

No....!!:D

Summary: I suspect you may have had "two different" issues....!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no extra additional anything on my bike it's stock. I will spray the starter switch first, I believe I have to take off the saddlebag to get to the relay box.

·
Administrator
26,169 Posts

I would hate to have to pick my bike up every time I needed to start it. :rolleyes:
I would suspect the ignition switch, try moving the key back and forth a little.

·
Premium Member
3,741 Posts
I turned on my ignition switch I had no control panel lights on at all. But my bike started up when I pushed the starter button

Tells me your ignition switch was working...at least certain contacts...!!

You could also have a problem at the C-58 Black 8-pin connector....!!

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts