Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Just got back from a 6000 k trip on my gold wing i bought 2 weeks ago.I am looking into getting a better seat, anyone recommend one.Also dose any one know if the 96 1500 seissupposed to have front air assist front forks? I ran in to a guy on the trip that told me my wing should have it we had a peek and it dose not.He had asked me howI like the wing whenI told himI had just got it. I told him my onlytwo complaints were the seat and the front suspension was bottoming out overa lot of bumps in the road. That's when he told me about the front air assist suspension

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
imported post

The air isn't put into the front forks with the on board compressor. Look at the top of the forks. The black caps you see are just plasitc covers that thread onto the schrader valves underneath them.

Personally, I don't bother with air as the max is really low (8-10lbs, IIRC).

Sounds like the springs in your forks are worn out. I would replace them with a set of Progressive brand springs.

·
Ignoramus Primus
303 Posts
imported post

You could add some air as John explained, and fresh fork oil should help some, but I agree, it sounds like your springs are about dead. Definitely recommend Progressive brand.

Seats are very personal in recommendation and there are several to pick from but all of them will offer much better support than the stock seat which is way too soft for all but the "featherweights" among us. You could add a sheepskin and see if that helps for comfort.

I went with an off-the-shelf Saddlemens seat and am happy with it. I am somewhat "average size" and it fits me well. If you are big and/or tall you'll want to spend the coin for a custom seat from Diamond, Russell, Corbin, etc.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

just wing it - I've recut my seat a couple of times & reaplaced the foam with a automotive gel seat cushion from CTC, added a beaded seat & it's good for all day. Meet you on Hwy #7 some day for coffee. :action::action::action:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,793 Posts
imported post

My '94SE had air assist but the seals were leaking, and the springs, like yours were bottoming on the softest of bumps.

I installed Progressive springs, new seals and 2 psi air made it "just right' for me.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

rt66john wrote:
The air isn't put into the front forks with the on board compressor. Look at the top of the forks. The black caps you see are just plasitc covers that thread onto the schrader valves underneath them.

Sounds like the springs in your forks are worn out. I would replace them with a set of Progressive brand springs.
Thanks every one so far. Yes I did look under the caps and no schradervalve to be found just your standard Allen key fork nut no valve in it I wonder if they have been changed up or if the 1996 se did not come with the set up???:?

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

I have just purchased a 1999 GL1500SE and had the same problem. My bike has air in the front shocks. I put air into them. It helped a lot. However, don't put over the recommended pressure. I believe it is 6PSI max.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
imported post

just wing it wrote:
rt66john wrote:

Thanks every one so far. Yes I did look under the caps and no schradervalve to be found just your standard Allen key fork nut no valve in it I wonder if they have been changed up or if the 1996 se did not come with the set up???:?
No schrader valves? Sounds like a P.O. put, at the very least, the caps from an Interstate on your SE. The '96 A and SE have air adjustable forks. However, I still stand by my original statement. Replace the fork springs with Progressive. The OEM Honda were too soft for many to begin with and they're probably sacked out now after 13 years.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

rt66john wrote:
just wing it wrote:
rt66john wrote:

No schrader valves? Sounds like a P.O. put, at the very least, the caps from an Interstate on your SE. The '96 A and SE have air adjustable forks. However, I still stand by my original statement. Replace the fork springs with Progressive. The OEM Honda were too soft for many to begin with and they're probably sacked out now after 13 years.
Thanks for the info and link to the parts list. Yes looks like your right about the front end thing might be a intersate front end on itI will have to see ifI can tell. And order up the Progressive springs what oil do you runI'm 250 lbs and my girl is 125 lbs

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
imported post

Last time I changed the fork oil, I used OEM Honda fork oil. Be aware that the amount of oil per fork leg will change from OEM to Progressive.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

If you do put air in the shocks DO NOT use an air compressor. Get & use a hand pump with a guage on it Otherwise say goodbye to the air seals:shock:

Welcome aboard:clapper:

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

I use Automatic transmission fluid in my 1500SE, and it works great. I think it is 10 wt ATF. I was told by a Honda guy that that's what he uses, and it doesn't foam up.I guess the wt of the oil is the relevant thing. 10 to 15 wt oil. jimsjinx

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.