Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Good Morning , Yesterday (Sunday 30.11.08) we had a Toy Run witch is a charity run for underprivileged children in SA.It is claimed to be the biggest in the world as +- 28000m\c all over SA take part. I filled theWing Saturday with gas,checked the tyres etc, had it beautifully washed and polished,so I was ready for the run with a plasticride-on scooter tide up on the back for thetoy donation. Sunday morning took the cover of the Wing and tried to start her, she did not crank to fast so i thought o k battery problem, took the jumpers out and jump start fromthe car,2 nd crank she took immediately.I drove to our start destination +- 10km from home where there was about 4000 to 5000 bikes.Parked had a chat with a few fellow bikers and within say 20 minutes from stopping we were ready for the mass ride+- 60km from our starting point. Once again she cranked but did not start,had to jumpstart again andshe start immediately.It was extremely hot +- 32 to 36 deg.and on the highway(Freeway)there were times that we stood still. About 40 km after we left i realised the temperature gauge climbing about 80 to 90% between cold and hot (Red Line)and slowly the clutch was getting weaker. Suddenly there wasNO clutch and i pulled to the side of the Road and switched off. A lot of other bikers were also standind next to theroad do to overheating. After about 45 minutes the clutch was back to normal. I put my helmet on and was ready to depart,switched the Wing on but NOTHING. No instrument cluster lights, headlight, hooter., nothing worked. I thought it was the battery again and stopped avehicle to jumpstart.No sucsess even with the jumpers connected still Nothing. I then checked the main fuse next to the battery but it looks ok. ,I then pulled the fuse box on the left hand side and checked every fuse,(took out and put back) but nothing solved the problem. I pulled the20 Amp relay to the right of the fuses and put it back asi could not see if that was the problem. So my first BIG problem is were do i look to get life back to her before attending to the clutch problem.(Took my brothersWing battery installed it, still no sign of any Life) Thankyou in advance.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

There's a fusible link (fuse B), the main fuse by the battery, and fuse 11 all of which need to be in good shape for much to happen. Did you check out the link?

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Exavid, I checked the "metal fuse" it is the one to the right side of the battery , it is a flat metal fuse, it seemed ok , I am not sure were the fuse 11 is that you talk about.

·
Slow Learner
1,485 Posts
imported post

SA Wingrider - that "metal fuse" by the battery, also called a "dogbone fuse" can look good but still be bad. Take it out and see if it's cracked or anything. Sometimes when you remove it they fall apart in your fingers. Just a tip. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thank YOU so far, it is currently 09h30 here in SA, i am leaving 16h00 for the house check out all the info received here and then reply the following day on what progress was made and what happened. Due to the time diff this might take a while, but thank You all in the meantime.

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Good Morning to all. Sorry for only reporting back today but the wife had to go to hospital yesterday and thanks she is doing fine.Now back to the Wing. I tested the following fuses with a 12 volt light tester and all was good.(light came on , both side of the fuses).The 55 amp "dogbone"fuse to the right of the battery,the 30 amp fuse behind the dogbone fuse, the 65 amp dogbone fuse that is under the crossbar,underneath seat in the negative cable,and all the fuses in the Ace terminal on the left hand side of the bike (eleven in total). The only fuse that did not light up is the 10 amp fan fuse, but if you switch the ignition the fuse light lights up although nothing else (Dashboard, hooter, lights etc) come on. Please ,Please where do i look now to get life back to the Wing ??

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I sent you a PM Johan, I think it's your ignition switch for reasons spelled out in the PM.

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Just got a telephone call from the local Goldwing mechanic and he said the WING is purring like a kitten. I am not 100% sure about the problem but he will show me and i shall report back, but right now i am over the moon full of JOY !!!!!!!:cool:

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,790 Posts
imported post

SA Wingrider wrote:
The only fuse that did not light up is the 10 amp fan fuse, but if you switch the ignition the fuse light lights up although nothing else (Dashboard, hooter, lights etc) come on. Please ,Please where do i look now to get life back to the Wing ??
Your wing has hooters?:shock::shock::shock:

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
imported post

SA Wingrider wrote:
Just got a telephone call from the local Goldwing mechanic and he said the WING is purring like a kitten. I am not 100% sure about the problem but he will show me and i shall report back, but right now i am over the moon full of JOY !!!!!!!:cool:
What was the problem?

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
imported post

tallyho wrote:
SA Wingrider wrote:
What was the problem?
the hooters were leaking.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
imported post

Johan, glad to know that your Wing is flying again. I tried to follow your progress but I could not face reality. We in South Africa are really in a different league when it comes to Goldwing ownership. It's tough and costly. It took 2 months for your Wing to be fixed. Perhaps there's a reason why I also keep a 1100 in the stable.
Do you know any mechanics in the East Rand?

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Good Morning Ama-Gold , The only reason why it took this long is i was trying to solve the problem on the Wing my-self via this GREAT FORUM and i was on leave (away) for 4 weeks. On our way back from the coast (09.01.09) i phoned John at Silver Spokes the local Wing dealer and asked when can i bring the Wing in because i was getting frustrated for i could not find the problem. I took the Wing to john on Saturday 17.01.09 and he phoned me on Monday at about 14h00 and said she is fixed. I can only fetch her on this Friday 20.01.09 do to work commitments and i shall then report back to what was wrong. So this 2 font's delay was my mistake for trying to resolve the problem and not do to lack of skills available . ( I think i was trying to save money):?., but was just frustrating myself. Silver Spokes Phone No is 011 9758013 and they are in Kempton Park. You can PM me with your landline or cell no and i can give you more info if you so require. Have a nice day, Johan.:action:

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
imported post

Thank you for your quick response. I will definitely go to John @ Silver Spokes for my maintenance on the Wings. I will PM you soon.

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Good Morning to All.According to John from Silverspokes,what happened to my Wing is that there are wires and connectors on top of the left electric fan (left side if you sit on the bike) and when i stopped due to the extreme heat as i explained in the 1 st post, I switched the ignition key off to let the Bike cool of. According to him that is the WRONG thing to do because the heat of the engine and radiator has to go somewhere , so the only place is straight up to this wires and connectors.One of the connectors melted and that is why their was no power to the ignition switch .I asked what to do that this will not happens again , he suggested i must stop and leave the ignition switch on auxiliary so that the fans can keep blowing the heat out of the tupper and not leave it inside. I hope this information will help other Wingriders , and any comments appreciated, i am just reporting what i was told. Have a nice day. Johan.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.