Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an unusual problem, and can find no one else when searching who has had the same issue. I recently brought home a 1996 GL 1500A which had been sitting a couple years. After doing a carb and fuel tank flush and rotating the motor several times to make sure there was no interference I started it and it runs real nice but I have found one unusual situation because when I went to turn it off with the key it keeps running as normal but I can shut it off with the Killswitch. I contacted the PO and he stated that he had the ignition switch replaced by a mechanic and it behaved that way since the switch was replaced and the mechanic assured him that was an updated feature of the new ignition switch ...........??? After much arguing with the mechanic the PO just accepted the fact that it wasn’t correct but rode it that way for several years. The ignition switch acts normal when the bike is not running, off, accessory, on etc . The mechanic obviously messed something up or put the wrong ignition switch in. It seems when it is running, possibly the ignition relay is being triggered and only the Killswitch interrupt that circuit. Does anybody have an idea where to start looking? I have the factory service manual but I’m not real savvy at reading the electrical troubleshooting menu. Thanks for any ideas you might have. All other functions on the bike work as normal, horn, lights ,signals , audio , reverse etc. . I have replaced the ignition relay and jumpered the BAS with no change …….Could it be the ECM...….or a bad ground

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have any add ons like security systems or other accessories not installed by Honda?
No other systems or accessories added , I'm still struggling with this problem, so here's what I've done so far. I have removed the ignition switch and wiring harness and replaced it with no change in my problem and I have replaced the ignition relay with a new Honda relay. Also found out that when I turn the key off and it continues to run I can pull every single fuse in the fuse box and the two fuses in the relay box and it continues to run and I can also pull every single relay except the ignition relay and it continues to run until I hit the kill switch. This indicates to me that the relay is being triggered by feedback from a bad ground when it is running and thus the relay remains energized. the problem must be on the down side of connector C57 Does anybody know where I could start looking for a poor ground, I have removed and cleaned the grounds on the frame near my right knee again with no improvement in the problem. Or could I run an axillary ground to some location that would establish a ground for the ignition relay. I have closely inspected the wiring harness and can find no hacks and there are no additional accessories added except a battery tender lead which I have unhooked . Also ….I don't know if this is connected but reverse does not work and the lever switch checks out okay and the cables are adjusted properly , all other operations function like cruise , compressor , horn ,audio ,turn signals and lights …. Thanks for any input that y'all might have. : )

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
Are you saying reverse does not work even with the key on and in a normal situation? Did reverse fail simultaneously with the problem occurring? When you pull the relay does the engine stop immediately or continue running for a while? I believe it is not a ground issue. I suspect a wire to wire short somewhere. A hot wire is shorted to an ignition wire. But only a guess. I would take the seat off and get it running with the key off. Then shake every harness you can get your hands on too see if you can get it to stop. That would give you a pretty good clue if you could..

Does the engine shutdown if you unplug the bank angle sensor?

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
First I want to be sure you are using a Honda manual for a 1996. We have gone on some pretty crazy wild goose chases because of the wrong manual. Seems Honda is forever moving and changing things from year to year. Do you have the exact right manual?
I have been studying the schematic for some time and reached a few conclusions. Now to get them in clear words. :)

Try to follow me. I'll do my best. With the problem active there has to be unwanted power on the Blk/Wh wire on the kill switch. If there was no power there the coils would have no power and of course the bike can't run then. . If there were a short from the Blk/Wh to a hot wire the kill switch would not shut the engine down. Therefore I THINK it is safe to assume the Blk/Wh circuit must be OK? No issues between the kill switch and coils etc?

The other wire on the kill switch is the Blk/Lt Grn wire. That wire carries the power from the relay to the kill switch. That wire is power IN! It obviously must be hot for the engine to run under normal circumstances. How ever it also should be dead with the key off and certainly absolutely dead with all the fuses pulled out. BUT....it can't be dead under those conditions or the bike wouldn't be running with the key off and fuses out, right?

So.... my conclusion is there is an issue that is shorting power to the Blk/Lt Grn wire. I would say the most likely place for a short as described would be behind the fuse/relay box. There is battery power in that box and other members have had issues in that area. So you might start there

If all is well behind the relay box maybe try this. With the engine running key off find the Blk/Lt Grn wire and see if there is power on that wire? I think the easiest place to access might be at the connector behind the right side marker light but I am not sure.

I would normally be suspicious of the right side multifunction switch but there should not be any battery power in there with all the fuses pulled. So I think that is unlikely and that you are going to find the issue either behind the fuse/relay box or two wires have shorted together somewhere but I'm leaning toward the fuse/relay box......right now. :)

·
Administrator
25,536 Posts
Try unplugging the blk/lt gn wire from the alternator.

Reactions: redwing52

·
Registered
2000 GL1500SE
1,376 Posts
Also, can you compare the wire colors of the reverse lever switch on your bike with the following picture? Are they in the same spots?
I suspect the Blk/Wht and Wht/Blu wires are swapped. This can explain both the reverse and ignition switch problems.
To test my theory, can you try pushing start button when you turn the ignition key off. The engine should stop.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
I really like Dave's answer.If there is an issue with the alternator/regulator that caused power to back feed on the Blk/Lt Grn, would make perfect sense, I bet if that wire is unplugged all will be fine.
The lack of reverse might be a separate issue. :)

·
Registered
2000 GL1500SE
1,376 Posts
If the reverse lever switch connection is correct, then the problem seems to be on the Blk/ltgrn wire going from relay 6 to kill switch connector (C57). As Dave and Redwing mentioned, there may be a short or reverse feeding on that line.
Check also, if there is any modification on that line.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you everybody for your input …. I'm headed to the shop to follow up on the ideas

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Try unplugging the blk/lt gn wire from the alternator.
You nailed the cause , pulled the black/light green wire from the alternator and the key now shuts off the bike . thank you for the wisdom,,,,, what does that wire do and any Idea where the problem might be …….. ?

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If the reverse lever switch connection is correct, then the problem seems to be on the Blk/ltgrn wire going from relay 6 to kill switch connector (C57). As Dave and Redwing mentioned, there may be a short or reverse feeding on that line.
Check also, if there is any modification on that line.
I Disconnected the black/lt-grn wire at the alternator like Dave suggested and now the key shuts off the bike so the problem , as you said is the Black/light green wire …….. I will try and track down that wire and see where it goes ….or could it be the alternator ? I have several extra alternators here , I could swap it out …...

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also, can you compare the wire colors of the reverse lever switch on your bike with the following picture? Are they in the same spots?
I suspect the Blk/Wht and Wht/Blu wires are swapped. This can explain both the reverse and ignition switch problems.
To test my theory, can you try pushing start button when you turn the ignition key off. The engine should stop.
Dave was right...….

·
Administrator
25,536 Posts
You nailed the cause , pulled the black/light green wire from the alternator and the key now shuts off the bike . thank you for the wisdom,,,,, what does that wire do and any Idea where the problem might be …….. ?
The problem is the regulator in the alternator.
Now I guess we can get to the reverse problem. Any clues that might help?

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to everybody for all your help. I pulled the alternator and found out the wiring was messed up by whoever installed the alternator. The black and light green wire is supposed to be connected to the outermost terminal on the alternator along with the green wire however someone had hacked and hooked the black and light green wire up to the innermost terminal which was causing the feedback . The green wire alone was connected to the outer terminal. I replaced the wiring harness off one of my Salvage alternators and The bike is now working normal and shutting off with the key , charging 14.2 volts and reverse also is working flawlessly. I couldn't have done it with out all of your help. These forms are a real bike saver. Hallelujah, thanks again everybody Happy Easter

1 - 16 of 16 Posts