Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any ideas on rear wheel drive spline lose of all lube and starting to rust and chatter wear.parts were replaced 10000 mile ago,1 year.i have heard theorys about the rubber dampers getting loose being the cause.these were replaced,as well as the alum inserts.i have seen 2 valkrys do the same

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
At the last service of the driveline was is lubricated with Honda Moly 60 Paste ? The Moly should not dry up or drip off . Do you have a good U-Joint boot in place to keep debris out of the drive shaft ?

·
Wild Rhino - Canadian
591 Posts
Moly paste

At the last service of the driveline was is lubricated with Honda Moly 60 Paste ? The Moly should not dry up or drip off . Do you have a good U-Joint boot in place to keep debris out of the drive shaft ?
+1 on the Molly paste
My 98 had 49,000 when I got it, and there was very little lube left on the drive spline either in the wheel or hub, I probably over did it when I lubed it up, just pulled it after two years and molly everywhere, but still on gears, cleaned it up and put a fresh coating on them and put it back together.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
You are talking drive splines, where the hub and wheel mesh?
They need to be lubed every 18k miles per Honda. I do them annually (about 8-10k) just to make sure they stay lubed. But, being a rebel, I use red bearing grease on the drive splines in the hub. 99k and no visible wear (have pics to show, but use moly paste if so led).
You can sometimes tell if the rubber inserts are worn by how easy or hard it is to get the flange pins in the holes, and does it wiggle at all. Mine fits TIGHT and I have to gently pry it out. They are designed to cushion the impact of applying drive force, like little shock absorbers.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,911 Posts
Did you replace the 2 o-ring seals? Keeps grease in and water out.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
There are actually 3 o-rings in there. I bought about three of each the last time I did an order. Replace them if they need it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.