Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi everyone,
I wrote awhile ago about a fuel stumbling problem which you all had some very good suggestions. See the link below for detailed description.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=121464&forum_id=1&jump_to=1413010#p1413010

I finally got time to pull the the bike apart and check the fuel pump flow. In two tests it came out at 6 oz. in 10 seconds, or 60 oz/minute. That's well above the minimum 21 oz/minute spec'd in the shop manual. I don't have a pressure gauge to check that. All indications previously had pointed toward fuel pump, but now I'm not so sure. Of course, it was cool when I did the test, and my problems have happened in hot weather. The auto petcock looks to be in excellent condition from the exterior; could that cause random period problems in ONLY hot weather, and at altitude (8000')? These parts are expensive, and I hate to just start changing parts and hope I hit the right one.

Oh, and I did replace the Emgo filter with OEM (Emgo was in for just 125 miles, and problems began long before putting that in).

Ideas? Suggestions?

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

The pump typically fails (when it goes) when it's warm and in a warm tank... generally, with 3 or fewer gallons of fuel (more lift; head pressure). So, as you're thinking, your test may not have been fully valid. At that, your volume numbers seem nice.

The petcocks can be a bit finaky and can 'shut' during low vacuum conditions (throttle demand). I'll run-off to read your other thread before re-poluting this one with old ideas.

Often diagnosing these kinds of things is best done by figuring out exactly how to reproduce them so different hypothises can be confirmed or disproven.

I'm not too far away (I'll be up in Greely tomorrow picking up some parts in-fact) and would be willing to "loan" a spare petcock if you'd like to try, or lend whatever help I can... (now I'm off to read your original post)

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

dwlarson wrote:
... The auto petcock looks to be in excellent condition from the exterior; could that cause random period problems in ONLY hot weather, and at altitude (8000')?...
> No way to inspect the working of the fuel petcock from the Exterior.... so I'd still keep a skeptical eye on that component. Have you tried bypassing it yet?

> Your symptoms (other than the relation to a half tank of gas) are similar to mine, when I discovered a Timing Problem due to a leak in this hose, at the bend shown:

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I haven't tried bypassing it, but because it's so random that really won't tell me much. It could run fine for 50, 100, or 500 miles before acting up. Bypassing it and starting/running the bike won't tell me anything -- it starts and runs fine now. I do know that the problem is getting worse, since it quit several times this summer, only once last summer, and only once in the previous 2 or more years. I'm still thinking fuel pump when it's hot... but no way to duplicate that and check it 50 miles away in the mountains.

Also, I seem to have had more trouble with it when going downhill (for miles down a mountain), which would be high-vacuum conditions (although it has sputtered and quit under throttle too. Pesky thing.

I wish I were going to be home on Saturday when you're in Greeley, I'd have you take a look at it... but I'm off to Estes Park for the day. I appreciate the offer though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.