Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I bought this bike from a guy who was rebuilding it aftersomeone he bought it fromhad hit a deer with it. had to rebuild harness, buy new rear harness, rebuild carbs with carb kits. Now it starts great, ideals fine, and has power like never before, until i get it out on the highway and get it into o/d. it acts like the fuel is shutting off for a few seconds than restarts and than does the same thing over again. I need help. been working on the bike almost 2 years and want to ride. I replaced the vacum cups that support the main neddles in the cabs because they had cracks in them. that helpped alot. but stilll at a loss as to look next.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,956 Posts
imported post

Hi Jay,

Just for grins, take it out with the tank lid open. When it starts to cut out, pop the gas cap loose for a few seconds and see if it helps. It may just be a plugged vent.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Did you try installing a new few filter? ;)

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

...it acts like the fuel is shutting off for a few seconds than restarts and than does the same thing over again....
???

Sounds like fuel starvation with not enough fuel flow delivery to your carb. Thus, running our of fuel. But, this should also occur in your other gears.

Fuel cap andfuel filter are more likely. Could also befuel pump and possibly auto fuel valve (petcock) that is not providing adequate fuel flow - more unlikely.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
imported post

This is going to sound way out there, but do you have all the tupperware on the bike? Went through a very frustrating, very costly learning process. The chrome cover on the left of the bike had broken off (tabs were bad). No biggie right? Problem was, there is a diaghram under that cover that I think needs ambient air pressure. With the bike at speed, and the relative wind crossing the diaghram at a high rate (creating a low pressure situation), it would cause the bike to do exactly what you are talking about. It adjusts the fuel mixture for the upper rpm range. (I think). Anyway, I put the plastic back on, and no problems...unfortunately, i paid for a carb rebuild, balance, filters, petcock, ...u name it. Turns out it was a 30 dollar cover....ouch

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
imported post

fuel filter first, then if that does not fix it, since it is a 96, replace the fuel pump

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
imported post

I wish you would figure this out.Mine is doing the same thing. I pulled my carbs to replace bowl gasket and new timing belt, coolant change, oil change. Ever since then I get a highway speed hesitation. When I set the cruise it will fluctuate about 3 mph, speed up a couple then ease up and fall back down s couple. When I try and hold her steady at say 65, she starts to stumbles, when I get on it, it well bog for about 2 seconds then take off. Mine is an 88 so I am leaning toward carb problems, but dang if I can figure it out, either. Ive checked slides they are good, put in new float needles. I ve checked timing advance and it is right on. IT acts like it is running out of gas but if that was the case when I went WOT it would just fall off, but instead it will take off. I am so confused.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,956 Posts
imported post

jbossman73 wrote:
IT acts like it is running out of gas but if that was the case when I went WOT it would just fall off, but instead it will take off. I am so confused.
Hey Boss,
When you are at WOT, high speed jets are feeding from the bottom of the bowl. So, if your fuel level is low you can run out of gas at normal cruising speeds and still have plenty of gas in the bowl for a high speed run.

If the machine runs well at idle and wide open, then the problem must be in the mid-range, right? You changed the bowl gaskets and this started, right?

My first guess (and it is a guess) would be some little particle got loosened up and made its way to a mid-range jet. A couple of tanks withsystem cleaner might actually help here.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

if you got an aftermarket seat they can pinch off the fuel line if the tong is not in the slot

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
imported post

Yes this all started whne i cahnged the bowl gaskets. I was wondering if i should mess with the floats at all maybe lower them alittle so it would be alittle high in the carbs.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,956 Posts
imported post

jbossman73 wrote:
Yes this all started whne i cahnged the bowl gaskets. I was wondering if i should mess with the floats at all maybe lower them alittle so it would be alittle high in the carbs.
No Bossman, if the bike was running fine before, the floats are probably right. If you change them without the proper guage you will just add to your problem.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
imported post

What is the best way to make sure its cleared? I ran carb cleaner through the jets last night, followeed by some air. What about soaking for a day, how much good would that do? I do not want to pull them anymore haha

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
imported post

Well I belive the gremlin is dead. I took my carbs and had them ultrasonicly cleaned, 20 bucks. Then while I was in there I repalced all the vacuum hoses, about 23 feet in all. But I took my better half out today pickup shopping and she rode like a dream. So if you think you have the carbs clean, find a shop that will run them through the ultrasonic machine and see how clean they get them.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,956 Posts
imported post

Ultrasonic? What do they do, play rap music real loud until the crud can't standit anymore and moves to a quieter set of carbs?

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
imported post

Yep thats about it. I had never heard of it until someone on here I belive mentioned it, so I you tubed it and man its pretty neat to see it work. They drop it in a water solution and turn it on the the crud does pretty much jump off.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,956 Posts
imported post

Sounds like the procedure they use to crunch a kidney stone.

Actually, I'm very interested. My carbs just aren't going to work without something different. Conventional isn't working.

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
Sounds like the procedure they use to crunch a kidney stone.

Actually, I'm very interested. My carbs just aren't going to work without something different. Conventional isn't working.
Seems like I read on here that the 1200 carbs get to the point where they will not rebuild and I believe I read there are even parts to those carbs that are not available anymore. How about a guru setting us all straight on this?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.