Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ran across a deal, almost settled, and found another deal. HELP!!!!!

1996 97,000klm with matching trailer....Fresh complete tune up with belt replacements and complete maintenance history record $15,150.00

1998 46,000klm I don't know the history $13,000.00

Much or any differfence between the 1996 & 98?

Tell me something you 1500 Gurus!!!!!

Kyle

May have my pride and joy 1100 up for sale

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey Kyle :waving:They are very cheap compared to the prices in Ireland. :whip:

I propose that you buy the both of them. :clapper:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

UUUGGGHHH!!!!

Don't complicate things Redwing....That would leave me with 3 bikes 3 cars and a truck.

Pic of the 96

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Pic of the 1998.....not great quality

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Two years newer and lower mileage. I'd go for that, ask for more close up pictures before deciding. There were loads of changes (cosmetic) to the 98, which means it will look almost the same as a y2k model.
Have a read of the history page here;

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/goldwinghistory.htm

It gives details of the changes and is a good article. And good luck and safe riding on whatever bike you buy. :waving:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

All things being equal, I'd go for the newer lower mileage bike, for the difference you can easily find a good trailer.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks for the input BRowan and Exavid. I've discovered a little more history on the 98. A local guy with $60,000 extra bucks headed to the U.S. and bought up a six-pack of Wings from a dealer who wanted to clear them out so the locals wouldn't have much for options other than buying new.

There is some cosmetic damage from a drop, but other than a few scrapes and some bent chrome accessories, not bad. Also there is no trailer hitch which according to what's her name is required for the trailer we would have to buy for it.

The 96 has a few extras such as no blemishes,CB radio, has just recently been done over, timing belts, new alternator, carb balance, brake line flush, rad flush, has only used Honda line oil, bike cover, custom built luggage light bar, front wheel disc lights, custom crash knuckle (if you wanted to lay the bike over farther than allowed by the side stand, it will rest on this knuckle without damaging any light bars or saddle bags, which also works for that accidental tip over),custom built seat, along with the original seat, matching custom built trailer with top end axle, bearings etc. (this guy has also refurbished stock trailers for other guys, his work shop would be a dream to have, you could eat off the floor in it.). He is the original owner and just to meet him, you can tell he is extremely fussy and anal almost to the point where he has gas receipts in his maintenance records. He is selling this rigg along with his other toys which include a fifth wheel camping trailer, which is in as immaculate shape has his bike.

He is a 72 year oldretired farmer and has that dreaded "C" word. He is not selling by choice! Him, his wife, and his son, have broken bread with me, drank with me, and hugged me.

They say you should never buy with emotion....I don't think I have a choice. The custom tidbits he's done on this rigg give it a lot of one of a kind character, and I know when I sign that check over to him, it will have a teardrop stain on it. There is just something about heart, soul, integrity and character that beats me up.

(This thread did not intend to turn out like this, not sure what happened)

Kyle

My hair's turning white, my neck's always been red, my collar still blue.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey Kyle :waving:Ok so you cannot afford the two :15blue::15green:My honest opinion is that you should hand over the bucks for the 1996 :15blue:and be on your way. :clapper:

:walker::18red::walker:

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Redwing,

As I know you are wise in your years, are you speaking through your heart or are you speaking from your head?

Kyle

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
imported post

Kyle

Direct the previous owner of the 96 to this website.

It will give him comfort to know that his baby is going to someone who will love it as much as he. By reading you prior message you have obviously made up your mind.

Happy riding you lucky b*****d

Andrew

ps I would love a 1500 so I'm jealous

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Tough choice?!

If it were a 97 i'd jump on it because they have "Valkyrie" internalparts ,gear and final drive !

If you're friends with the old guy maybe loyalty should come into play, it would with me ?!

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Andrewl, you're right, I will love the bike. Actually I would love either one.

Windawg, This was the first time I met this guy, and he was no Bullsh#$ from the get go phone call. Quote - "I don't want no damn tire kickers over here and nobody 's taking it out unless they're damn serious about it." but he obliged me with a viewing of the beast. After a few back and forth stories, he told me he wanted me to take it for a ride. He walked me from one end of the bike to the other and told me with pride about the little extras he had done to it and pulled out his service record for the bike and started going through it with me from day 1. Hell it was like going through a family album!!!

I was kinda in a rush as I was supposed to be playing ball, then it came out as to why he was having to sell and he was expecting another buyer in for his Fifth wheeller. You could see it was wrenching his heart out. All present were his son, his wife, me & what's her name and not a dry eye amongst us, as we had also lost what's her name's Dad last year of the same cancer. Soon we were inside having beers, snacks and talking about everything under the sun, and barely mentioned the bike.

The big thing is I know the history and maintenance of this bike, but is there enough advantages to the 96 to pass up the 98? Also the 98 has a few cosmetic dings in its short 46,000klm life. I had a buddy check on the 98 (Which is about an hours ride outside of Winnipeg) who lives near it, and he phoned me on his cell as he went over it and described what she was all about. For some reason, they couldn't get it to start. I wonder if an angel prevented that?

Kyle

May you be a half hour in Heaven before the devil knows you're dead

Ta Slaghdan Air.......Nar Lagai Dia Do Lamh

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Kyle,

96 hands down. The care of a responsible dedicated owner far outweighs any model year advantages of the 98.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Brojees is right, I'd go with the 96 and make the old guy proud, in a month spit shine it and drop by his house to say hi !

Hey , is going to through in the "Snow tires" too ?! I couldn't resist, sorry, lol !!!

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Wingdawg said,
Hey , is going to through in the "Snow tires" too ?! I couldn't resist, sorry, lol !!!
Don't you Americans know!!!!!

Snow in Canada is only an Urban Legend!!! It was created to keep people out and preserve our natural beauty, right along with mad cow disease, to keep our premium beef to ourselves.

Right now I feel like I've eaten a mad cow. Checked out bike prices across the country in the Autotrader, and I'm still getting a good deal on the 96. The majority of the bikes in this age group + or - , more or less klm seem to be in around the $16,000 to $17,000 range and that does not include any of what's her name's trailers. Doesn't matter what or when you buy, there will always be a better deal somewhere. The difference in klm between the two bikes is only a season worth of riding anyway. For whoever buys the 98, appears to be getting it for an outstanding price.

Thanks so much for being my sounding board fellas!!!

I desperately would love to keep my 82 also, as I have all kinds of neat ideas for it and it is a great bike!!!! Just look at my avatar....who could part with something like that, and it doesn't owe me a dime? What's her name sez itsa gotta go! We'll see!!

Kyle

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Kyle wrote:
Thanks for the input BRowan and Exavid. I've discovered a little more history on the 98. A local guy with $60,000 extra bucks headed to the U.S. and bought up a six-pack of Wings from a dealer who wanted to clear them out so the locals wouldn't have much for options other than buying new.

There is some cosmetic damage from a drop, but other than a few scrapes and some bent chrome accessories, not bad. Also there is no trailer hitch which according to what's her name is required for the trailer we would have to buy for it.

The 96 has a few extras such as no blemishes,
As I said all things being equal I'd go for the '98. It's obvious in this post all things aren't equal, go for the 96, with that much difference in them I would!

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Thanks Exavid.....I was kind of hoping you would reply.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Kyle wrote:
Thanks Exavid.....I was kind of hoping you would reply.
Always like to help others spend their money!:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Hey Kyle:waving: I wouldride them both check them out and if there are no problems with the 98 I would go with it,with 51,000 milesand$2000 difference,, I do have sympathy for the old fellow and his family, but this will not change their destiny. The extra miles would mean a lot to me. not to mention the money. Just my opinion, If I were there in person it might not be so easy to say.:)Good Luck

:12red::cool:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Kyle wrote:
Redwing,

As I know you are wise in your years, are you speaking through your heart or are you speaking from your head?
Hey Kyle :waving:Thats coming fromthe heart. :clapper:Im sure you have paid over the bucks by now. :jumper:

:walker::18red::walker:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.