Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Good morning all

I have a 1997 1500 SE and would like to know what the amp rating on the alternator is.I bought the bike used andI don't know if it has been upgraded to a higher amp alternator or if it came with the highest amp alternator available. Is there a way to tell what the amperage rating of an alternator is, and how would you check it?

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Standard stock alternator is around 550 watts at 5000 rpm. Or around 40 amps depending on what the voltage output of that particular bike is also at that rpm.

You can check it with a simple amp meter, loop the loop around the output wire to the battery, under load.

Kit

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for the reply KitI knew the amperage was around 30-40 amps stock. I have herd of rebuilding the alternator to have around 90 amps. is this possible and how could you tell if it has already been done.I bought my trike used andI don't know allot about its history.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Hey there Morris! Welcome!!! What kind of trike do you have? I have a MotorTrike 1500SE. jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

Alternator limitations at 12 VDC are limited by the DC conversion at the rectifier because the alternator is an AC machine producing 3 types of power. Only the true power is concerned, with the apparent power the most abundant and the reactive power the reason for field excitement workings are not considered.

So at 40 or 50 Amps you must ask yourself is this peak or constant flow. If its peak then the alternator is not capable of delivering this power at all times but if it is constant maximum flow the machine is capable of delivering this power. But remember the alternator is AC and the rating given is DC, so the components attached for the conversion are rated in DC. At say 50 A DC and at 15 not 12 V nominal the actual alternator is more robust, but power is not free or cheap.

The alternator can be made more efficient but at a cost, the AC is of variable frequency so it could have a higher frequency for greater power but the DC diodes, SCR and any conversion equipment has to handle the higher cycles, thus price goes up.

The alternator as it is, is very robust and since it is a rotary machine, fairly stable. The amount of engine HP to deliver 50 A at 15 VDC is fairly large at 50x 15 or 750 W. The alternator itself is rated in VA and Volt Amps are not the same as watts. Machines using magnetic flux are rated in VA and the alternator could have a much larger rating in VA because of the 3 actual types of power this AC machine produces. And the actual bike HP is higher than the 750 W that the alternator delivers, usually 2:1, so at a minimum over 2 HP SAE Brake have to come from the IC engine, if the alternator is belt driven then the belt losses are added up.

Power factor, 3 phase windings, internal copper losses, bearing losses are not considered on the bike’s power electric horse, but they are considered when the driven alternator is driven mechanically by the prime mover, the engine.

A lot of guys want more electrical power; what about hooking a battery separately to the ground connection and every time the main battery is fully charged the discharged ground goes to the 2[sup]nd[/sup] battery and fills it up, wiring relays and dumping monitoring is needed.

But because a lot of us ride older units taking care of the OE, through maintenance is a cheap and fairly cost effective way to keep the down side of the charging system at a minimum. Do not use excessive loads and with this in mind the lack of care causes excessive loads in all connectors on the bike, indiscriminate use of water, greases dielectric grease or plain neglect will cause the bike’s electrics to age just as the mechanical aspect of the bike gets older.

Just like people some bikes are old before their time. Happy trails!

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

BoyI got more thanI bargained for on that one ARKnapp :shock:.I appreciate all the effort that went into the reply, butI missed the part where you would have mention if there was a higher amperage alternator available for the GL1500 :??

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

Amps can be increased if:
shape and size of wires are used, bigger, shaped to fit snugly together, thicker wires to carry more amps. Triangular wire instead of round.

Since the AC is unimportant in a battery charger increase the poles, increases the frequency increases output

If there is room for the above, stator, coils, spacing, diameter of alternator, length of alternator.

Spin it faster, drive gearing will up RPM, increase the amount of wire, use the other powers if possible, use of a better insulation like epoxy, or impregnated paper strips but is there enough room in the physical alternator?

Some motor shops can do it, but it takes a bit of re-work, re-design and the extra amps may not be enough...rethink the power you are using.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.