Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
97' about 85,000 miles.
Lately I've been getting a rumbling sound that I think comes from the gearbox. In neutral, there is no noise. My experience is that the noise comes only when I drive.
The sound comes in all gears, occurring between 1500 and up to about 4000 rpm. The sound increases with increasing speed. Rpm over this I feel that the sound is reduced. If I reduce the throttle a little, the sound is also reduced. When I enable clutch the sound disappears.
I do not feel vibrations when this occurs. Have tried to put the bike on the main support, started the engine, put in gear, increased speed, applied the foot brake and listened with a stethoscope. But I don't get the same noise. Cold or hot engine doesn't seem to matter, either.

Wheel bearings are replaced on both wheels. Dynamo has new dampers and got new bearings last week. New oil on final drive and engine / gear. Timing belts and tight wheels have been replaced. In neutral, I do not get the sound, even though I am speeding the engine. The noise is strongest during acceleration, for example in uphill.

Any tips...

·
Registered
476 Posts
Have you checked the uj on the shaft and greased the spline at wherl end?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have been given tips on this, but haven't figured out how to do this yet. Tips?

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Alternator dampers might be hard,Dynamo? Alternator?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alternator dampers and bearing is replaced..

·
Administrator
26,567 Posts
Is the noise more related to engine speed or wheel speed? I am thinking it may be tire noise which can change depending on torque applied and different surfaces.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I think I would eliminate the simple things first like the rear wheel splines,rubber dampers,u joint that can be check when the wheel is off,the transmission on these don’t give a lot of issues.
how long has it been since the rear wheel was off.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The noise follows engine speed, no doubt. Rear wheels have recently been off, replacement of tires, brake pads and wheel bearings. Now disassembling rear wheels to check the driveline ...

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Where do you live in Norway,AWSOME country and m Son in-law is Norwegian from Oystese,been there couple times.

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
Anything loose (nuts/bolts) on the bike. Especially down around the exhaust area and such.

My friend had a sound and was convinced he had a valve lifter issue. He found loose exhaust bolts. Tightened them and the "valve" problem disappeared...!!!

Just a thought....!! Sometimes things aren't always as they seem.....!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where do you live in Norway,AWSOME country and m Son in-law is Norwegian from Oystese,been there couple times.
Lives on an island west of Bergen. Since you've been to Øystese, I guess you know where Bergen is :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anything loose (nuts/bolts) on the bike. Especially down around the exhaust area and such.

My friend had a sound and was convinced he had a valve lifter issue. He found loose exhaust bolts. Tightened them and the "valve" problem disappeared...!!!

Just a thought....!! Sometimes things aren't always as they seem.....!!!
Have searched for loose bolts, found some and fixed these. There are probably more to find. The noise I had hoped came for such a reason, but still ... I'm looking

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I do know Bergen,I like the seagulls that land on you arm for treats,summer there has very short nights,

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
How did you like the roads here, a dream for a GoldWing :)
They are kinda narrow compared to Texas highways,was surprised when you need to honk the horn when going around a curve in the road BUT illegal to just honk the horn,my in-laws there were deaf and could not hear horns.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Since I am dismantling the rear of the bike to get to the driveline, I have also looked at a few small things that should have been done earlier. The first was to remove the last brackets after trailer attachment. To get to all the bolts I had to remove the footboard for the passenger. These have an adjustment that no longer worked. These were locked in the lower position making it difficult to unscrew them. The mechanism was repaired at the same time. During this process I found three bolts that were not tightened properly. These hold overturned hangers and rear frame.

·
Administrator
26,567 Posts
The noise follows engine speed, no doubt. Rear wheels have recently been off, replacement of tires, brake pads and wheel bearings. Now disassembling rear wheels to check the driveline ...
If the noise follows engine speed why waste time tearing down the rear drive?

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I think he’s just eliminating things

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If the noise follows engine speed why waste time tearing down the rear drive?
Have been wondering a bit myself. Have seen that there is a small hole in the bellows to X join, possible moisture has entered. Regardless, had some little things that should be fixed in the back of the bike.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It may well be that the sound comes from the driveline, or ?. May not have described the problem well enough.
In the lowest gear and acceleration, at high torque the sound is loudest. For every gear I gear up, the sound picture is the same. But since the torque decreases at higher speeds, the noise doesn't get as intense as at lower gear. But it is also the case that at higher gears the sound comes out at slightly higher engine rpm. But still I feel the sound decreases after passing 3500 - 4000 rpm. no matter what gear I drive.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts