Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Howdy all, i have been off and on wings for about 12 years. sold my 1200 2 years ago. anyway im looking at a 97 GL1500 SE pretty hard and have a cpl questions. I'll be the 3rd wner of the bike. milage is 37k. I figure since i dont know the history ill change Timing belts, and do a regualer service on her once i ride her a bit to get the feel of things. Tires will need to be changed before long i figure these are the 2nd set. so here's some general questions?

1. Tires ?? elite II's or anyone have any experioance with Elite III ?? or any suggestions on others ??

2. Major issues with this year or model of GL 1500, havent been around them much

3. alternator? should i replace with a compu-fire soon or wait untill needed ??

and since im on a budget "wife's vote on new bike i wont be able to do alot at one time??

anyway thanks gang and look forward to bantering back and forth with you all

Troy

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

tkjones2 wrote:
Howdy all, i have been off and on wings for about 12 years. sold my 1200 2 years ago. anyway im looking at a 97 GL1500 SE pretty hard and have a cpl questions. I'll be the 3rd wner of the bike. milage is 37k. I figure since i dont know the history ill change Timing belts, and do a regualer service on her once i ride her a bit to get the feel of things. Tires will need to be changed before long i figure these are the 2nd set. so here's some general questions?

1. Tires ?? elite II's or anyone have any experioance with Elite III ?? or any suggestions on others ??
2. Major issues with this year or model of GL 1500, havent been around them much
3. alternator? should i replace with a compu-fire soon or wait untill needed ??
and since im on a budget "wife's vote on new bike i wont be able to do alot at one time??
anyway thanks gang and look forward to bantering back and forth with you all
Troy
:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet Troy!:waving::waving:

Concerning the alternator, why do anything to it until there's a reason. With luck it will run a couple more years and by then the xyl will have forgotten the cost of the bike (hopefully). I'd probably change the belts out if I thought they were originals just because they're eight years old. Other than that just ride it, who knows maybe something expensive other than the alternator will break, you wouldn't want two pricey jobs to upset your bride.

There are a couple things you don't want to ask about on this forum. Type of oil to use and brand and model of tire to buy! A search on those two items will expose the futility of it. We all have our pets and there is no consensus.

:whip::whip:DON'T GO THERE, THAT WAY LIES MADNESS!!:whip::whip:

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Hello Troy and welcome to the bestforum site around. The only thing sto watch out for is the LCD display goes bad on some 97s (clock won't keep the right time), and from 1996 the alternators can go bad as well. I wouldn't bother with a new alt until the old one packs in (yours might last for years or may have been replaced already). Elite IIs are fine for the USA, they don't grip well in the wet. K177s are better and EIIIs are supposed to be better again.

For a good read on what to look out for on used 1500s, you are already in the right site. Go to this page for the wingnuts appraisal;

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/used1500.htm

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Hi Troy and welcome. Apart from replacing the tyres and doing a service, leave everything else alone. No point in replacing the alternator unless it nees it or you have loads of extra lights fitted.

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum Troy. Good advice was already mentioned ,(Goldwing evaluations by Steve -on the main page). The folks here are always willing to help with advice. Search around a bit and enjoy..... :waving: :gunhead:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey tkjones2 :waving: Welcome to the best goldwing forum in town. :clapper:These guys have given you good info, :jumper:listen to what they tell you and you wont go wrong. :weightlifter:

:walker::18red::walker:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.