Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey wingers,

Curious if anybody has a quick thought, as to why my "New to me" 97 Aspencade, takes a few seconds to drop the "Trottle/idle". I've only gotten to put 80 miles on it. And, I have a full can of Seafoam in the first tank of fuel. When I release the throttle, it "hangs" at about 2100-2200 rpms, for about 3-4 seconds, before dropping down.
It runs great besides this. But, the exhaust is nasty. I believe that is due to the Seafoam.
It smells like it's burning lean.
BTW, can you believe only 19,500 miles on the clock!

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Cables snap back all the way?

Choke closed all the way?

Lean fuel mixture/vacuum leak?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
What rpm does it idle,,850 is about right,

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
If you are sure the throttle is returning all the way my quick thought would be an issue with the shot air hanging open. That would not cause the exhaust to be stinky at an idle though and with only 19k someone might have been in there previously and things just aint quite right. :oops: A disconnected/faulty air temp sensor might cause that also? Or maybe a cruise cable or etc. etc. etc. If it continues, it needs looking into and that means plastic removal.

Reactions: limpy45 and WingEMT

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
862 Posts
The stinky exhaust is probably that full can of seafoam in the fuel..... :p

Reactions: WingEMT

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Throttle response is great. Idles great at about 825-850. But, "hunts" up to 1100 rpm's every so often. Choke is closed, and throttle snaps back properly. Hoping, it may be "cleared up" with a couple of "heavy" Seafoam treatments.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Bowen the fuel door and turn the knob in there to the left a little bit to slow the idle down a bit

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
Take what Pure Texas mentioned just a bit further. Let bike warm up and then turn that knob which is just in front and to the right of the gas cap several times all the way in each direction and then turn it to get the idle set around 800rpm. When turning it, the idle will initially rise when turned one way and drop when turning it the other so dont worry about that...

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Vacuum leak somewhere would be my guess.
gumbyred
Maybe a varmint got in there, all the time it was sitting, and chewed a small hose. I think it is possible a good carb cleaning might need to be done but check all the easy stuff first. :_

·
Busdriver
1,037 Posts
Hey wingers,

Curious if anybody has a quick thought, as to why my "New to me" 97 Aspencade, takes a few seconds to drop the "Trottle/idle". I've only gotten to put 80 miles on it. And, I have a full can of Seafoam in the first tank of fuel. When I release the throttle, it "hangs" at about 2100-2200 rpms, for about 3-4 seconds, before dropping down.
It runs great besides this. But, the exhaust is nasty. I believe that is due to the Seafoam.
It smells like it's burning lean.
BTW, can you believe only 19,500 miles on the clock!
Remove the air filter and check the carb slides for sticking.
You can give them each a short shot of WD40 then move them up/down a few times gently with a finger.

·
Administrator
26,550 Posts
Remove the air filter and check the carb slides for sticking.
You can give them each a short shot of WD40 then move them up/down a few times gently with a finger.
Contrary to popular belief sticking slides will not cause an idle problem.

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
Throttle response is great. Idles great at about 825-850. But, "hunts" up to 1100 rpm's every so often. Choke is closed, and throttle snaps back properly. Hoping, it may be "cleared up" with a couple of "heavy" Seafoam treatments.
It has an idle surge too? When the carbs are correct the hanging RPM problem might also disappear. :whistle:

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,753 Posts
When mine started doing that it was the cable. Even though it seemed to snap back, a little lubing and adjustment cleared the problem right up.

·
Registered
79 Posts

• NOTE: A rich problem gets worse as the engine heats up.
    • If the throttle is lightly "blipped" at idle, and the rpm drops below the set idle speed, then rises up to the set idle speed, the low speed mixture screws are probably set too rich: try 1/2 turn in, to lean the idle mixture.
  • NOTE: A lean problem gets better as the engine heats up.
    • If the throttle is lightly "blipped" at idle, and the rpm "hangs up" before dropping to the set idle speed, and there are no intake leaks and the idle speed is set at less than 1000 rpm, the mixture screws are probably too lean: try 1/2 turn out, to richen mixture. Be sure there are no intake leaks and the idle speed is set at less than 1000 rpm!

·
Registered
79 Posts
seafoam is old technology from the1930's with low temperature solvents that solidify on the back of the hot valves. only use modern approved PEA (Polyether Amine ) technology fuel cleaners.
What % pea?

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Pull the air filter and check to see if there is a stuck or sticky throttle piston. Move it with your finger. You could try some brake parts cleaner to clean it up. DO NOT use carb cleaner, it eats the rubber diaphragm.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
seafoam is old technology from the1930's with low temperature solvents that solidify on the back of the hot valves. only use modern approved PEA (Polyether Amine ) technology fuel cleaners.
What % pea?
I did some looking on the internet and found PEA is used in today's gasoline already. It's overall purpose is to remove carbon. I am not sure if it would work any better or worse than Seafoam or MMO or Techron. The varnish left in carburetors after the volatile solvents evaporates is the issue. Any powerful solvent that will not do harm might help if the problem is not too severe. It seems PEA is added to gasoline to clean carbon from the carburetor and engine. I have heard of those who use lacquer thinner.

·
Administrator
26,550 Posts
Pull the air filter and check to see if there is a stuck or sticky throttle piston. Move it with your finger. You could try some brake parts cleaner to clean it up. DO NOT use carb cleaner, it eats the rubber diaphragm.
The slides sticking will not affect the idle. They are not "throttle pistons".

Reactions: DriverRider
1 - 19 of 19 Posts