Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My driving lights, that I'm assuming used to be just cornering lights on my 1997 SE, stopped working recently. They have a separate on/off switch over the clutch reservoir and worked in the past. I have the same reading on the meter at the socket as I do at the battery when the switch is on so there is power, the bulbs light up when attached directly to the battery but won't work in the sockets even though they did at one time. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

What are you using as a ground when you check the voltage at the socket? Use the same source as the socket does.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
imported post

Or, as I do, measure the "ground side" of the socket with the plus side of the meter. Make sure you have the negative terminal of the meter grounded to the negative terminal of the battery.

That way, you will see if the shell of the socket is not grounded good. Presuming the filament is good, and you say it lights up if across the battery, then the shell of the socket will have full battery voltage on it also.

That bit of info will tell you immediately that you have lost the ground connection from the socket to the frame of the bike.

IF however, the ground side of the socket does not show any voltage on it, the socket is bad. You can double check the ground by putting the meter on "ohms" and measuring the resistance of the wire back to negative side of the battery. Should be very close to zero ohms.

Just follow the ground lead of the socket back to where it goes and find the break. I've seen a lot of wires break inside the terminal connections where they have been crimped.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
imported post

Check and make sure the bulbsare good, they have two filament's butonly uses one of them. This bulb must fit a Honda car also somewhere.I played with this for a while,had the same issue both ofthem not working.Filaments were only broken enough that I couldn't see it. I played with this for a while,finally took out the meter and checked then realizedwas looking at the wrong contact for the socket to begin with. Writing that oneoff as the sun was in my eyes.Maybe I just need stronger glasses.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
imported post

The bulb also fits some suzuki headlights my old GSX400T had the same bulb in its headlight, your problem will be the earth its a crapy holder prone to bad contacts.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I think the switch in the Big Bike Parts switchbox on top of the clutch reservoir seems bad. Checked power on the other two switches and got reading on the meter but not on the switch for these lights. I'll try replacing that switch first. Thanks for all the info!! -Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.