Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Recently got my first wing.

Checked the milage and it sucks. (25mpg)

Where should I start to improve this.

Thanks,

Buzz

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Midas1500 wrote:
Recently got my first wing.
Checked the milage and it sucks. (25mpg)
Where should I start to improve this...
> A heavy-hand on the throttle is the most-common problem... eg You should be getting around 35-40mph, unless you ride it like a sport bike.

> If that does not work, then verify that:
-Chock is turned off all the way, during normal riding.
-Brakes are not dragging
-Tires are fully inflated (41 psi)

Also, how are you calculating the mileage? ... eg Dont assume the volume of gas based on having "filled the tank" and assuming that's the full 5.5 gallons. It's better to divide the miles attained per tank, by the actual gallons put into the tank (per the reading on the gas pump).

·
Premium Member
6,422 Posts
imported post

After the above check condition of spark Plugs,

·
Premium Member
3,312 Posts
imported post

There are lots of variables that go into why fuel mileage is down. Among them are: heavy handed throttle, head wind, low tire pressure, dragging brakes, carrying extra weight, high speeds (keep rpm under 3k), and poor engine tune. There are others but you get the idea.

I have found that one of the main causes for low fuel mileage is the rider.

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
imported post

I agree with all of the above... My 93 Aspy will typically return 40-42 MPG at speeds of 45-55 MPH riding solo or two-up... Increase the speed to 65-70 or even higher and the mileage drops dramatically...

The 1500 has a fairly high drag profile with it's large fairing and windshield and as such, high speed cruising will really drop your mileage... Wind drag is a square function of speed - double your speed say from 40 to 80MPH and the drag coefficient quadruples...

Dragging brakes would also be suspect as would state of tune, tire pressure, cruising speed, etc, etc, you get the idea, but those are some places to start looking...

Les

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

I,m not shure of my highschool mathe was bad at it back them but I would think the drag at 80 would be way more than 4 times that at 40. And at about 120 or so your bike reachs it terminal vilocity which is caused when the drag gets higher than available hp
Wilf

·
Premium Member
3,312 Posts
imported post

wilf wrote:
I,m not shure of my highschool mathe was bad at it back them but I would think the drag at 80 would be way more than 4 times that at 40. And at about 120 or so your bike reachs it terminal vilocity which is caused when the drag gets higher than available hp
Wilf
Hey wilf, dadztoy is correct. When you double the speed the drag is quadrupled. Furthermore, when the drag is quadrupled the power needed to keep that speed is the cube of the speed increase.

For instance, if you go from 50 mph to 100 mph, the drag is quadrupled. So if it took 10 hp to maintain speed at 50 mph, then it would take 80 hp to maintain the new speed. You doubled the speed so (2x2x2 = 8), and 8 x 10 = 80 for the new hp needed to maintain the 100 mph.

Clear as mud now, right?

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
imported post

Bellboy40 wrote:
...I have found that one of the main causes for low fuel mileage is the rider.
Is it time to go on a diet Larry! lol! Just kidding!

Best Fix:

Tie a rope onto the luggage rack. Next tell your wife or girlfriend to get off the bike. Now tie the other end of the rope to her wrist. Ease the throttle to where your cruising at around 5mph. As she starts screaming at you, gently increase speed. This will move her to a steady jog preventing the amount of air into her lungs that is required to continue screaming. As it gets quieter, slow back down. Continue to increase and decrease speed according to the decibel level of the screams. By the time you reach your destination you will have saved tons in gas from the low cruising speeds and reduced weight.

NOTE: This only works for short trips. Longer trips will require higher speeds thus increasing medical bills which will in turn cancel out the gas savings. Good Luck and let us all know the results.

·
Premium Member
3,312 Posts
imported post

You ain't right Kevin! :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
imported post

Also some other things to check: 1. Your Air filter to make sure it's not clogged.

2. On the right side of the bike under the lower fairing piece mounted to the frame is a small black box. Inside that box is a small filter it is for your Idiling circuits the filterscrumble away.

you can buy them cheep at Cyclemax.

3. Gas filter

Try replacing the three of them then run a bottle of SeaFoam through the tank 1/2 a can at a time two tankfulls and see where you are.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thanks to everyone that replied.

Heavy on the throttle is not the issue. I keep it below 3 grand all the time and then some. Weight, I don't think is the problem as I weigh about 150# and my wife is less.

I have run Seafoam through it since I got it. No change. Brakes are not dragging either.

Will be looking into the air filter, gas filter, and re checking tire pressures. Carburators werejust rebuilt prior to my getting it. My initial thoughts were the plugs. Will check them too.

Thanks again for the info.

Buzz

BS: Kevin......you are warped, twisted, and commitable........I like that in a person!!

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

Make sure that the choke is returning to the off position completely on both carburetors.

John

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
imported post

Bellboy40 wrote:
You ain't right Kevin! :cheeky1:
Gosh Larry that's what my girlfriend keeps telling me. lol! But sometimes you just gotta:

:lash:

Let them know who's boss! :ROFL:

Just teasing of course. Honestly the two of us are like this:

:kissing:

But sometimes she sure can be like this:

:badgrin:

And then I get like this:

:watching:

But we always end up like this:

:needahug:

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

I agree on changing ALL the filters for starters.

Then you say the carbs were done???? So there is a good chance they need to be sync, and balanced. Here is a great tutorial on how to do that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1500balancecarbs.htm

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
imported post

I average something like 43,44 mpg and I drive conservatively. But even driving like a Californian shouldn't drop mileage to 25! There's something else wrong.
Since you don't know the bike's history, I think you'll just have to start at the beginning: timing belts (valve timing), compression etc. However, I'm betting on a carburetion problem. Look at your plugs and see if they're sooty.
When I resurrected my 1970 CB750 it ran badly and was getting 27mpg on its maiden voyage. A new K&N air cleaner solved a great deal of it. fixing 3 leaky floats and a stuck float fixed most of the rest and setting the floats down 1mm from standard got the old ******* really honking. It now runs great and gets up to 50 mpg.

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

+1 with the carb sync...i ride mine in lots of ways, sometimes sporty and sometimes easy, but rarely ever get below 35 mpg even at hi interstate speeds...have gotten as high as 44 too going two up pulling a trailer on vacation....

good luck and curious, u mentioned you used sea foam? how much did you use and was it on a full tank?

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

I will be going through all the filters, including the hidden little black box. Will pull the plugs and check and replace them also.

If all that doesn't help much, it is probably the carb sync.

If it is, I will have to go through a stealer to get it done. Don't have the fancy gauges or the know how.

As far as the seafoam, I used about a can for the first two tanks and have been adding some with each tank.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.