Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

141 - 150 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
I am far from an expert on Goldwings but they do have an electric fuel pump so if it is just sitting then no gas is getting to the carb from the tank no matter how full the tank is. So if the manifold is filling up I would check not only the float but also the needle and seat because it could drain what gas is left in the line into the carb even if the float is in the proper position.

I will definitely check that. Thanks for the advice....

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
OP mentioned this occurring on a full tank, which can gravity-feed the carburetors even without the pump running...

That's what I think is happening....gravity feeding when the tank is full. I've noticed ever since owning the bike that whenever I'm down a 1/4 of a tank (from full), the bike doesn't appear to smell after shutdown and sitting. Fill up the tank, and park the bike, and within moments upon shutdown I can smell fuel.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
Agree with this.

on the 1500s, if the fuel tank is full to the cap or nearly so, and the Fuel Petcock Shutoff valve has a bad diaphragm ( pinhole ) it will NOT shut off, and gas flows to the carbs by gravity feed.

And if the floats are not properly set, or the bike is on the sidestand, they won't prevent it from getting flooded.

Bingo!!! You just described my problem. It doesn't happen all of the time, but when it does, I can definitely smell gas after shutdown and it's on its side-stand after filling up my tank. As stated, I will set the floats at 8mm (with new ones of course). Where exactly is the fuel petcock at on the GL1500?

·
Registered
367 Posts
The petcock is above any possible gas level even with a full tank so unless the law of gravity has changed recently how would a full tank be different from an empty tank insofar as the gas would still have to go UP before it could go down? And you will not have enough flow to start a siphon. As a matter of fact, if you had a hole in the diaphragm then I would think it would pull air from the carb back to the tank before the other way around. I guess it is very remotely possible that it might pull gas to the carb from the drop in the line to the carb but I think if you measure and do the math the level of the gas up to the petcock from the tank and then down to the carb is just not going to support siphoning.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
The petcock is above any possible gas level even with a full tank so unless the law of gravity has changed recently how would a full tank be different from an empty tank insofar as the gas would still have to go UP before it could go down? And you will not have enough flow to start a siphon. As a matter of fact, if you had a hole in the diaphragm then I would think it would pull air from the carb back to the tank before the other way around. I guess it is very remotely possible that it might pull gas to the carb from the drop in the line to the carb but I think if you measure and do the math the level of the gas up to the petcock from the tank and then down to the carb is just not going to support siphoning.

That's true about the height difference from the Petcock to the gas tank. However, I wonder if it is possible for SOME fuel to travel through when the bike is on it's side stand. It appears only the left carburetor seems to leak fuel at times, mostly after filling the tank to the max. Right now the tank is on 1/2, and no leakage at all, and the bike runs great. But as soon as I fill it up, and park the bike after only a few miles ride, it is then I sometimes note the Goldwing idling rough. I shut it down, and within moments I smell fuel. Come out the next day to start the bike, and it smokes like a SOB. It is my belief that the left bank is the one that was fouling plugs likely due to an occasional rich condition.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #148

·
Registered
367 Posts
One way to find out, take the gas line off and see if gas comes out of it. At least more than what is just between the line and the petcock.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
One way to find out, take the gas line off and see if gas comes out of it. At least more than what is just between the line and the petcock.

Did that last night. Kind of getting tired of having to remove the plastic. :ROFL: No fuel came out so I know that's not it. But then the bike hasn't done it since the last time I reported the issue. If I were to guess, the left carb float might have been sticking a little, and the fuel inside the hose must have drained into the carb with the float sticking open. And it likely settled atop of a cylinder chamber with both valves closed, and so it remained there until the next morning when I started the bike up causing it to smoke very bad for a few seconds.

So far, so good!

141 - 150 of 150 Posts