Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how long should it take a motorcycle to change brake pads for my trike. i think they took too long the charged me for 2 hours of work:surprise:

·
Trike Master
1,217 Posts
Sure you meant to say mechanic!!!
Depends on the brand trike you have! Some have multiple pads on the rear brakes!
2hrs could be possible.
Is changing the pads all that was done or did the "real" service get down, as in, cleaning lubing the pucks, etc. and making sure "things" work properly?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes just change the brake pads i brought in all brake pads needed 4 pads for front and 4 for the rear
front had 2 rotors on tire

·
Premium Member
3,351 Posts
My '97 Lehman has drum brakes in back ..... time I was to pull front brake rotor covers (RoF slows this down) and remove calipers to swap out pads each side, reinstall calipers, torque bolts, and then covers (again, any RoF slows this down), and then get rear up on stands with axle hanging and get the rear "wheel & tire"s off (tall tires on a Lehman and they set up in fender so it's not "so fast" doing that), pull drums, R&R rear brake shoes with all springs, adjusters, hold downs (and clean the dust out and inspect axle seals), get a decent adjustment start, reinstall "wheel & tire"s, get her down off the stands ..... check brake and the clutch fluid levels .... maybe change fluid ..... easy to see 2 hours .... but I might slip a cup of coffee in.

In my experience, once you are "there" at the calipers or drums, disc brake pads go quicker than drum brake's shoes, assuming all else is A-OK. Of course, time includes getting the jack down, positioning under rear axle, jacking, getting jack stands under each side just so, ease jack down so rear hangs, maneuver rear wheel and tires out from under the deep rear fenders, etc.... I am still in great health, move pretty good .... even better than I expected at this age .... but I don't jump up and down from the floor as fast as often with as little thought as I used to. Close maybe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Before my accident i could change pads in like 15 minutes per tire.but i can not bend down that low anymore

·
Registered
14 Posts
15 minutes ? You must be talking an automotive application / rear of your trike. It would take more than 15 minutes to get at the front pads on a 1500 .
all needed to do was loosen bleeder slide brake pads apart tighten bleeder swap pads. Takes 5 minutes
the longest part is taking off the chrome covers. 10 minutes tops. Same for rear taking tire off to see the calipers is the longest time.about 10 mins to take tire off.then repeat steps to loosen bleeder slide pads apart put new pads on.and of course keep brake fluid full.not much will leak out but just fill up each time

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
When you are replacing pads its time for a brake fluid flush too! Did you know thats called for Once A YEAR!
MAXIMUM 2 years between fluid flush!!!

If your place did that, plus a good job cleaning the caliper piston edges, greasing all the slider parts of a 1500 front brakes, and did the rears of a trike- then only charged you 2 hours = thats a good deal

Make sure the brake fluid was flushed or you got hosed A good shop should recommend that when brake pads are done.

Note: When you supply the parts, the shop must make up its lost parts markup in labor charges~
Each job should generate x amount of profit, customer provides own parts cuts into that!!
Shops dont survive on being generous to you

·
Registered
14 Posts
When you are replacing pads its time for a brake fluid flush too! Did you know thats called for Once A YEAR!
MAXIMUM 2 years between fluid flush!!!

If your place did that, plus a good job cleaning the caliper piston edges, greasing all the slider parts of a 1500 front brakes, and did the rears of a trike- then only charged you 2 hours = thats a good deal

Make sure the brake fluid was flushed or you got hosed A good shop should recommend that when brake pads are done.

Note: When you supply the parts, the shop must make up its lost parts markup in labor charges~
Each job should generate x amount of profit, customer provides own parts cuts into that!!
Shops dont survive on being generous to you
the only thing they did was replace brake pads and fluid.they do not carry brake pads for the trike rear and did not have pads for front. so i supplied them.they charge $200.00 for the job of just replacing pads and fluid.cars only cost about $60.00 for a complete brake job.

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
Have you ever done the brakes yourself to know what it takes to properly, or half-azzedly clean and lube both front brakes? And who knows what's in the rear of that trike!
They did flush the brake fluid, and installed new pads, hopefully the tech cared enough to lube things.
No new noises? = Awesome!
I would guess a quote of 1 hour for both the fronts and 1 hour for Both rears, includes bleed/flush fluid...
$200 would be right
Many places use a Flat Rate billing, say 2 hours for a certain job- if the tech can get it done in half that time- they still get paid for the 2 hours! and you get charged for the full time...no discount for the techs abilities!

The dealer wont work even on 1500s here, and closest shop with decent person is $90 per hour, 100 mile trip and booked for weeks!

Learn to do things yourself, or if injured- make a new friend on this forum in your area :)
Can be worth some travel to do a major service/numerous mods on the bike- like our esteemed moderator recently did.
A Winger came to my house and did the heavy labor part of forks and steering bearing overhauls!
Cant beat that!!

Car brakes for 60 bucks, I doubt it- maybe their `get it in the shop quote` but no one leaves for that!
I say that as a former service writer and auto mechanic = In for 60 out for 200,,in for 200 out for 800!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.