Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
20 mi per gal at 70-75 mi per hr is this normal in hilly area with two riders as this is the first time we took a long ride on it 135 mi. round trip trike only has 5300 mi on it as it sat in a shed most of its life.I have changed all filters cleaned fuel sys new plugs-batt-tires-plugs heve gone thru it front to back and top to bottom. runs and idles smooth w/no flat spots any help would be great TKS in advance KP

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,701 Posts
that could be normal if you have a large windshield.

look at this Spreadsheet closely, Line by Line.

you will see MPG and the Description of the conditions present at that time.
results from 22 mpg to 40+ mpg

click on the Spreadsheet so it goes Full Page then press F11

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that could be normal if you have a large windshield.

look at this Spreadsheet closely, Line by Line.

you will see MPG and the Description of the conditions present at that time.
results from 22 mpg to 40+ mpg

click on the Spreadsheet so it goes Full Page then press F11

View attachment 323805
Tks for imfo foot note at 75 mph im turning 3500 rpm there are a lot of steep hills on that trip again tks for imfo.

·
Premium Member
3,706 Posts
1500s will gobble gas as a bike at 70-75 mph at 3500 rpm, add the weight of a co-rider, those air brakes called rear fenders, some good hills, maybe head wind, big wide windshield, etc …. yeah, 22 mpg could be normal. We use mostly US highways or back roads, running 55-ish, usually in upper mid 30s range. Have seen 40, but was unexpected.

I like interstate highways as they keep my roads clearer of the riff raff.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1500s will gobble gas as a bike at 70-75 mph at 3500 rpm, add the weight of a co-rider, those air brakes called rear fenders, some good hills, maybe head wind, big wide windshield, etc …. yeah, 22 mpg could be normal. We use mostly US highways or back roads, running 55-ish, usually in upper mid 30s range. Have seen 40, but was unexpected.

I like interstate highways as they keep my roads clearer of the riff raff.
Tks for imfo crystalpistol we will try 3000 rpm or less and see how it does again tks

·
Registered
1991 Goldwing GL1500a Trike
9 Posts
Can anyone recommend where to start with gas mileage? I have a 1991 GL1500a Trike, large windshield and varies on if it is just 1 or 2 riders. If I keep my speed low on the highway I can sometimes get 120 miles out of a tank, we are talking fuel light on and takes over 5 gallons to fill back up. Additional issue is that sometimes on long trips we hit 90 - 95 for long periods and of course I'm the only one that is not fuel injected, so I can just watch the gas gauge go down. Other than slowing down, what would be the best things to start with to help with fuel consumption? I have changed the plugs and added a K&N air filter. Just now getting to the basics, as i just solved my starting issue that has consumed me for over 3 years.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,701 Posts
What you describe is exactly what I would anticipate for a Trike.

You have two huge Wind Brakes hanging out there in the wind, along with that big "Tulsa Tall" type windshield.
IF you cruise along at 55 mph, I would expect you to get around 25-28 mpg.

put the tach on 3000 RPM and watch the fuel gauge drop faster.
Hit 75 mph or more, and it will literally Guzzle gas like there is no tomorrow.

I have a Spreadsheet that I kept very rigid records on for over 4,000 miles on my '98SE with a Tulsa Tall windshield on it.
I bought the bike in Tampa, FL and hit the highways going from one forum member's home to another... headed for Phoenix, aZ.

there were a few places where no over-nights with friends was possible, and I hit some horrible crosswinds which you can see destroyed the MPG readings.

Look at this spreadsheet closely , blow it up full screen, study MPG on each line, and then the Description that says what was happening on that particular tank of gas.
Note that for a Time Period of 365 days, the overall MPG is 33

1 - 7 of 7 Posts