Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
6.3 Gallons, Low fuel light should come on at approx 1 gallon left, and the fuel tank and pump arrangement is designed to suck just about every last drop of fuel...

Reactions: CrystalPistol

·
Administrator
Xenforo vehicle detail line
59,268 Posts
there is a minor procedure to adjust the fuel gauge sensor so that you can reliably watch the last 1/2 gallon of fuel in the tank.

Remove the seat, remove the fuel pump, siphon all fuel out of the tank.
measure exactly 3 gallons of fuel and put back in the tank.

get on the Left side of the bike, with your right hand, reach into the tank towards the Left front corner.
you can feel the float ball and arm that goes to the sensor.

Turn key ON, move the float up and down watching the gauge.
you will get a sense of where it should be to display precisely 1/2 tank of fuel.

Bend the arm ( rod ) and look at the gauge, not right? bend it some more, until the gauge splits the 1/2 tank marker.

Put every thing back together.
Now you can go for a ride with the 3 gallons remaining and watch the gauge as it falls towards zero, the Fuel Low light will turn ON at about ~1/8th on the gauge. When the needle rests on ZERO there is still about 1 pint of fuel remaining.... Nice, huh?

gives you a lot of comfort knowing that you can ride that bike until that gauge is on Zero.
I have done that with two different 1500s, a '94 and a '98.....

the downside? it stays on FULL for about 100 miles or so, then it starts creaping down as you ride.

·
Premium Member
3,555 Posts
what is fuel cap.and how much is usable.

6.3 gallons capacity. I can verify that 6.2 gallons are usable....!

Low fuel light will come on when there is 1.1 gallons left in the tank (If the low fuel sensor is working correct)....!!

I would recommend you verify if the low fuel sensor is working as designed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tks guys i just restored this 1997 trike from the ground up as it sat in a barn for close to 20 years had 5286 mi on it and wanted to make sure of the fuel cap.as it only gets about 32 mi per gal.the best i can tell.Again tks for all the help as this is my first trike.

·
Premium Member
3,555 Posts
tks guys i just restored this 1997 trike from the ground up as it sat in a barn for close to 20 years had 5286 mi on it and wanted to make sure of the fuel cap.as it only gets about 32 mi per gal.the best i can tell.Again tks for all the help as this is my first trike.
Fill the fuel tank. Ride about 200 miles. By then your low fuel light should have came on. If so, you know it works.

Sitting for a long period of time causes me to wonder if the low fuel sending unit still works good.....!!

My friend and I restored a 1989 Gold Wing Trike from the ground up after an accident. This even included a "new fairing"....!!

We also made some nice enhancements/upgrades along the way....!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts