Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks

Got my 1997 SE LCD and air pump Have suddenly quit . LCD does not come on and air pump has no power on all functions and there is no voltage on fuse marked parking .

The other day all was back and now dead again . Radio and all other stuff works fine.

any suggestions as where to start . IGN switch, radio harness, air pump control, display?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Check connectors and grounds for corrosion. Do you have a wiring diagram?

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Check connectors and grounds for corrosion. Do you have a wiring diagram?
Y’a got one but it’s physically just don’t know where to start.

this is exactly my trouble and I wonder how he got it solve it seem to be a gremlin.

was reading on an other forum

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Does the LCD work for the radio, or is it totally dead?
You can start at the air pump and work towards the battery, or start at the battery and works towards the air pump, your choice.
Did you check fuses 6, 7, 10 and relay 5?

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does the LCD work for the radio, or is it totally dead?
You can start at the air pump and work towards the battery, or start at the battery and works towards the air pump, your choice.
Did you check fuses 6, 7, 10 and relay 5?
The LCD is completely dead radio works. Fuse 7 has no power . I tryed to manually feed voltage to fuse 7 and no change other than pump kick on with outlet bouton only.

as for relay 5 I did switch with a relay known to be good

·
Pwhoever
3,292 Posts
As you have found out, when the LCD is not working, the pump also will not work. They are tied together. This problem seems to only affect many 96-97 models. You will also find that several of the idiot lights will also fail to illuminate when key is turned on. Several "fixes" have been tried but I don't think any actual solutions were found to keep this from permanently happening.

What you will find is that in times of high humidity, the LCD screen will malfunction. The malfunction shows up in several ways. One, like you, it will be completely dead. Another is that when bike turned off, the screen will continue to show random characters. And a third way is that the click will start rapidly gaining time.

Moisture is causing the problem. It was theorized that the circuit board for the LCD wasn't properly sealed and moisture will cause various malfunctions. Another theory was that the data ribbon cable between the circuit board and the LCD gets wet causing malfunction. Who knows... One fix to get it working again is to jump on it and ride for several miles. What you will find is the air rushing through the fork tunnel works its magic and drys everything out. You will see several "idiot" lights flash on for a couple seconds and then your LCD will start working normally again as well as your air pump. Another solution I have heard folks use is to get a fan and let it blow up into the fork tunnel and that will sometimes help it to dry out.

Hopefully this helps you a bit...

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Mike

this morning bike is still in garage but yes it was nice and warm and all was working great. Since it is sure the trouble is in the head unit tomorrow pm I will open it and exchange with an other unit that I have form a donor bike . The screen is dead and black so all I will do is keep my screen and install the rest of it on my bike and try it for a while .

many thanks for the info this saved my from opening he whole bike right,left and center for nothing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My first 97 had this problem. I fixed it by taking the dash panel apart to access the LCD and the ribbon wire that connects
to it. I sealed the ribbon wire with a spray ignition sealer that I got at the local auto parts store. I never had the issue again. I found this remedy on a Goldwing site years ago and it worked for years until the bike got totaled.

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My first 97 had this problem. I fixed it by taking the dash panel apart to access the LCD and the ribbon wire that connects
to it. I sealed the ribbon wire with a spray ignition sealer that I got at the local auto parts store. I never had the issue again. I found this remedy on a Goldwing site years ago and it worked for years until the bike got totaled.
Many thanks Glen sorry about the lost.Hope you are ok .

as fit mine it’s ok so far.
I got a complete used dash took the LCD unit out cleaned and sealed using clear coat paint and install in my bike so far all great .

many thanks for the feed back

1 - 9 of 9 Posts