Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a temp sensor on the right intake manifold what is its job how does it ajust the bike ?

not sure it’s my trouble on a 1997 its is very rough cold it has to be Max choke for one minute as soon as temp goes up a little it runs fine .

all vacuum lines, new carb cleaned, all maintenance dunn still same grrrrrrr

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
it is normal for 1500s to need the Mixture/choke for a couple of minutes while it warms up.

I had a '98 and a '94, both of them worked just like you said.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it is normal for 1500s to need the Mixture/choke for a couple of minutes while it warms up.

I had a '98 and a '94, both of them worked just like you said.
Yes I understand a bit rough . It was ok before but now it is so bad as soons as I take a little bit if choke of it will die if I twist the throttle it will also die ,if I slam it it will response and after one minute it is perfect all day but very cold it’s very rough. I read Somwhere on a forum that the sensor on he right manifold gives the engine temp to the ECM but what does the ECM then change or ajust on the carburetor or timming so it will be ok on cold weather Start. I just whant to understand the purpose of that sensor and ajustements dunn .
Many thanks

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
There is a temp sensor on the right intake manifold what is its job how does it ajust the bike ?
not sure it’s my trouble on a 1997 its is very rough cold it has to be Max choke for one minute as soon as temp goes up a little it runs fine . all vacuum lines, new carb cleaned, all maintenance dunn still same grrrrrrr
Ever notice the 200RPM change when warming up your engine on a cooler day when enrichment lever partially on at fast idle. The coolant temp sensor controls ignition timing and prolly plays a role in a couple other functions of engine management.
Normal ignition timing shifts will not make the engine run bad unless at the very extremes of operation.

Reactions: redwing52

·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
I suspect it also influences the carb air jet solenoids, which control the fuel/air mixture.

Reactions: redwing52

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
To add to Drivers comments I would say this. When the engine is cold the intake manifolds are cold of course. When the air fuel mixture leaves the carburetors it is atomized. The problem comes when the atomized air/fuel mixture strikes the cold intake manifold. When that happens it falls out of suspension and returns to a liquid form. The liquid gas runs along the intake and drips into the cylinders. The engine goes lean and runs bad or quits.
By increasing RPM via fast idle keeps the mixture moving faster and that speed increases the mixing action to keep the air/fuel mixed better. Of course adding enrichener helps by richening the lean mixture..
I suspect your bike is good now as crazy as that sounds. When the carbs were old before they probably ran rich and that helped it run better in the cold. I usually start the bike and let it run at faster idle while I put on my gear. By then I can turn down or off the choke and away I go. Bikes seem to have their own personality. Some like a lot of choke while others need little until it gets very cold. I would just ride if it runs that well after warm up.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
I usually start the bike and let it run at faster idle while I put on my gear. By then I can turn down or off the choke and away I go. Bikes seem to have their own personality. Some like a lot of choke while others need little until it gets very cold. I would just ride if it runs that well after warm up.
That is precisely how I did my 1500s.
Start them up, set the Mixture so it will keep running, start pulling on ATGATT, and when it topped 2,000 RPM drop it down a bit, it would exceed 2,000 before I could get my riding pants on and zipped up...

ATGATT takes a lot of time, if you do it right..... some folks, just wear a jacket/helmet and jeans....
Denim will wear through in a heart beat if take a slide.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
That is precisely how I did my 1500s.
Start them up, set the Mixture so it will keep running, start pulling on ATGATT, and when it topped 2,000 RPM drop it down a bit, it would exceed 2,000 before I could get my riding pants on and zipped up...

ATGATT takes a lot of time, if you do it right..... some folks, just wear a jacket/helmet and jeans....
Denim will wear through in a heart beat if take a slide.
And the denim will pack right in to the wound. :p

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
Tourmaster pants, the First Responders took them off, and laid them over the '94SE here.
Jan 2, 2008 Phoenix, AZ

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Do you ever put injector cleaner in the tank or any additive?
I use some in mine and Marvel Mystery oil in it too,mine starts with full choke and the drop it between 1/2 to 1/4 choke as soon as it starts.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Are there any problems getting the bike started? I always used to start my 1500s and let them idle for about 30 seconds. (Cold weather startng only, or if bike hasn`t been run in awhile.). By the time I got ready for a ride, the bike would start right up, and run great.. Are you taking the bike out to ride for at least a half houtr or so? .If not, I would it leave it alone till I was ready for a nice long ride. How old/many miles on your spark plugs? New plugs always helped cold weather running for me.
gumbyredd

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are there any problems getting the bike started? I always used to start my 1500s and let them idle for about 30 seconds. (Cold weather startng only, or if bike hasn`t been run in awhile.). By the time I got ready for a ride, the bike would start right up, and run great.. Are you taking the bike out to ride for at least a half houtr or so? .If not, I would it leave it alone till I was ready for a nice long ride. How old/many miles on your spark plugs? New plugs always helped cold weather running for me.
gumbyredd
it started one morning after couple of weeks unused. It puff sputter run rough at approx 2000 rpm no smoke , can’t toutch anything or it will die then after one minute or so boum just ok but not warmed up but now I can take of slowly like before .

On an injection système i would say the temp sensor is out of wack when cold but rapidely warms up and correct the situation to normal temperature and then it’s back to normal cold eng . Because if I stay out of that cold range it’s fine .
Many thanks and sorry about my English

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well we’ll many thanks. I whent back in and got back in digging and found real bad connection in one coils plus PO had connected accessories on the coil feed. Second that sensor on the right intake manifold was shot to ground .

a freind had a used one so I was able to compare and discard mine .Now as soon as I hit the start button it run good and does not die on warming up.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Sooo simple issue but the knowledge here is AWSOME,not much get by these guys👏👏👏

1 - 14 of 14 Posts