Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Steve,

1997 SE, I have heard that it is rather easy to convert the existing front turning lights into continously on running lights. What's your thoughts?

Is this something that is not recommended? If not, why?

Always looking for more visibility to others.

Thanks, Rick

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

You dont say where you are ,,if you are in the UK the front amber running lights are illeagle ,,,but to answer your question ,I dont think it is a major job ,some people put a smaller light in beside the indicator light and some other people change the holder to take a bulb with 2 filaments ,and then you run a wire from your headlight across ,,But I am sure the experts will come on and tell you exactly what to do ,,,You also need to check if your bike was an American import originally ,,if it was ,then you will find the wire to the lights has just been snipped .:waving:.cheers Ciaran

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey toy4rick, :waving:Your very welcome to the forum and please visit often. :clapper:I dont know much about the lights, :weightlifter: but hold your fire and one of our experts will soon come along. :jumper:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

You will need to buy the US bulb holders that go into the turn signals, as they take a double filament bulb. Then just take a feed from your parking lights beside the headlampand run it to the extra wire in the new turn signal bulbholder. That will give you turn signals and running lights.
BTW, waste of time directing your questions to Steve. We don't see him to often here!

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Jason,

Thanks for the information. I did neglect to indicate that I live in USA, California to be exact andmy bike is not an import

I will look into your suggestions

Thanks again and thanks for the quick response

Rick

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

Hey Rick, I though all the USA Wings and other motorcycles had runnng lights already built into the turn signals?

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Paul,

They are turning lights, they only come on when the respective turn signal is turned on. I am interested in running lights that keep bothon all the time

Rick

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Jason wrote:
BTW, waste of time directing your questions to Steve. We don't see him to often here!
Hey Jason, :waving:I think the wingnut is gone on the booze. :whip: I haven't seen him since xmas. :jumper:

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote
Hey Jason, :waving:I think the wingnut is gone on the booze. :whip: I haven't seen him since xmas. :jumper:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Redwing

Wingnut was last seen up the hills looking for a dog called Shep, apparently one of our more senior members lost his best pal, whilst pushing his Honda 50 over the fells.

He tried to get volunteers to join him, but it fell on the annual meeting of the GURU clang, so tried to do the job himself. What a guy

Some one must get a message to him because Shep came home, who have we got to that job?

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

Skooter wrote:
Hey Rick, I though all the USA Wings and other motorcycles had runnng lights already built into the turn signals?
I always thought that as well Paul. Maybe not all states in the US require bikes to have running lights?

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
imported post

toy4rick wrote:
Jason,

Thanks for the information. I did neglect to indicate that I live in USA, California to be exact andmy bike is not an import

I will look into your suggestions

Thanks again and thanks for the quick response

Rick
Rick,

Where you at in Ca. I am in southern california, Riverside area. Welcome to the board. I just joined myself.:waving:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey wingwarrior :waving:

Your very welcome to the forum. :clapper: Another man from Illinois, ;)make sure and visit often. :jumper:

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Dont need any parts.

"Cornering lights" driven from turn signal switch, through one relay for each light. Turn signal activates the relay coils. POwer comes from tail light fuse. If you can find the relays, remove them, identify power and the lead to the light, you can intall a jumper to bridge them on continously. Identify the power and light leads by reading through the relay with ohmmeter, should have 4 terminals, two will read resistance (posisbly 20 ohms) the other two are the ones to bridge.

Good idea to convert, easier to see side of the road. The angle is low so they dont blind oncoming traffic. Check the charging voltage before and after to be sure its handling it, must be over 14 volts at all times.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Hey everyone,

Great input. Here is what I did

Purchased a replacement set of contacts, wires only, removed the cut contact from the existing bulb holder and inserted the new one, ran the hot to a switch and from the switch toa fuse then to the accessory terminal on the fuse block left side below seat.

Works like a champ, total cost `$15.00

Thanks again for the help

Happy riding

Rick :waving:

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Hello again,

Forgot to address a few previous posts.

Up to '97, they are turning lights, only come on to the respective turn signal, not cornering lights.

I live north of San Diego in Oceanside.

Great board, great folks

Happy riding

Rick :waving:

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

Rather than make my turning lights into running lights I added a light bar and use it to hold running lights.

:12ltd:

Marty :cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.