Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking I may end up having to sell my Wing. I don't want to but the medical issues are piling up and chances are I am never going to get to ride it much, if at all. I am curious what the values are on them anymore. I realize that without seeing a full spread of pics you can't tell me exactly what it is worth but I paid 4,000.00 for it two years ago and have put at least 1,000 into it with new tires and engine work. I am not looking to make a profit, just break even and pass it on to someone who will use and appreciate it. Do you think 5,000 is out of the ball park for a 98 SE that everything works on it and looks pretty good. It is not perfect but a 7 out of 10. If I am going to lose money I will just sit on it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
'97-'00 engines had upgrade internals same as the Valkyrie engine received including an up dated clutch. As a result u should compare prices of those yrs to yours and not pre '97. good luck and God Bless.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, This bike only has 21,000 miles on it.I am not going to say it is for sale yet but I have to start thinking realistically.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
KBB really doesn't mean much. You can get a ball park figure but if there are several for sale you might have to adjust your price. Some people ask ridiculous high prices, These are still for sale. Some ask reasonable prices and these go fast. check craiglist and cycletrader.com to see what is available in your area and price accordingly.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
98 & 99 has white backed gauges, (speedo and tach) I liked it on my 98 but a lot of riders didn't, They were a little harder to see certain times of the day. I think that is why Honda went back to the black ones on the 2000 model

·
Administrator
Xenforo vehicle detail line
59,269 Posts
98 & 99 has white backed gauges, (speedo and tach) I liked it on my 98 but a lot of riders didn't, They were a little harder to see certain times of the day. I think that is why Honda went back to the black ones on the 2000 model

Impossible to see them at dusk and dawn when under streetlights.
I hated it when I was in Mesa, AZ on the '98SE

I even bought black faces to change them out.

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
Impossible to see them at dusk and dawn when under streetlights.
I hated it when I was in Mesa, AZ on the '98SE

I even bought black faces to change them out.
I had a 97 and won't even look at a 98 or 99 due to the white gauges if I ever get another 1500 it'll be a 1997 SE or a 2000 SE, but then that's just my opinion

·
Administrator
59,269 Posts
I will NOT buy any vehicle that has white faced instruments for the same reason.

·
Administrator
59,269 Posts
that is a fact!
it is the overhead lights striking the instrument faces that make them totally disappear.

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
Never liked the white faces, but I did like the rest of the bikes.

·
Premium Member
3,555 Posts
Personally, I think 5,000 is a little high for a 21 year old Gold Wing. Low mileage is not necessarily a plus on a bike that old.

Gold Wing's run better when ridden a lot. I know from experience having worked on a few GL1500's.

We just brought a 1997 with 34k miles back to life. You don't want to know what all needed attention.

There is more than just tires, oil and fluid changes.

Sorry, I just tell things the way they are......!!

Good luck when you decide to sell.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have not stopped following this thread. To be honest I am not sure which gauges it has but I do seem to remember commenting to the wife about how hard it was to see them so they probably are the white ones. I had the carbs off of this bike a couple times to clean them and try to diagnose a rich running issue on the left side. Vacuum lines are all good and supple but it still does not run to my liking. I bought kits for it and once I am back on my feet and if I can remember where I put the kits the carbs will go into the ultrasonic cleaner and they will get the whole treatment. I don't know if you remember my posts from when I got this bike but the lower fairings and the fan outlets have been deformed by heat. No signs of fire so all I can think of is someone fired it up and left it running on choke and forgot about it and it ran real hot without moving. I am looking for the lower fairings preferably in the right color since the rest of the bike is in really nice condition. I would hate to paint a bike that does not need it. If I have to sell it then so be it, I will try to get out of it what I have in it. I am not desperate so if it does not sell I will just sit on it for a while. I do not see these depreciating all that much.

·
Premium Member
3,555 Posts
I do remember your previous posts...........!

My '99 Wing runs great at 222k miles and the carbs have never been off the engine. Running them frequently does make a difference.

But we have had to do carb work on several GL1500's with a lot less mileage.....!!

Good luck with your carb work.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just looked all over the place and I cannot find the stuff I bought from Honda, I looked online and Randakks is out of stock. Guess I have to buy Honda again if I can even figure out where I bought it from.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I found my old order sheet, I got the stock stuff from Cycle Max. I was going to go with Randakks but they do not have it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts