Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So its been years since I've used the GW, and its getting too heavy for me. So here;s the problem, I needed to rebuild the carbs and I have two small cylindrical spacer like pieces that I can't figure out where they go. They look like mini versions of the 4 spaces that go on the top plate of the carbs.

So, I cant find a reference to these 2 smaller spacers in any of the diagrams online. Any help would be great. I need to get the bike back together ASAP as its taking up the garage and the new SUV has been baking in the so Florida sun for going on two weeks!

Thanks in advance,

nosvet

·
Premium Member
5,612 Posts
Can't tell the size. How big is the tile they are sitting on, for reference? Maybe a coin laying next to them?
You did not take the screws out of the hose clamps that secure the insulators to the carbs or engine? There is a small tube that is a stop so you can not overtighten the clamps. It doesn't look right for that but it just came to mind incase.

·
Administrator
24,356 Posts
Maybe dowels for the brace on the bottom of the carbs?

·
Premium Member
5,612 Posts
Could they be the spacers that go between the throttle linkage and the throttle shaft on both carbs????

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,613 Posts
The two small spacers (I think) go between each carb body and the air chamber plate. Positioning dowels. Should be 4 in all. Not sure about the larger spacer. It may be used there also don't remember.

·
Administrator
24,356 Posts
I have some 1500 carbs, if I wasn't lazy I would go see if I could find those.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the big towel or hollow tube is from the base plate there are four of them the two smaller ones are the ones I can't figure out and they may be from the manifold boots because I did take them apart and put new ones on.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, it's not from the manifold boots. The spacers for the boot clamps are accounted for and the spacers in question are like half the size.

The tiled background in the original photo is 1 inch.

The search continues to get this bike running again.

Keep the info coming I know someone knows what these spacers are

·
Registered
372 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
okay just went down to the local bike shop mechanic there says that they go underneath the main jet and is called a jet holder. I'm pulling them apart now and and I will see how it goes but he said he definitely thought they were jet holders.

·
Premium Member
5,612 Posts
okay just went down to the local bike shop mechanic there says that they go underneath the main jet and is called a jet holder. I'm pulling them apart now and and I will see how it goes but he said he definitely thought they were jet holders.
I say buy that mechanic a beer. My bet is he is right.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well carbs apart again. Looks like my search continues it's not a jet holder any more ideas?. from what I see the jet holder is what screws into the body of the carburetor if I slide this tiny little sleeve that barely fits on the main jet I can't get the main jet back in I see nowhere to put these two pieces.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I took them apart and I very deliberately kept everything together but sometimes small pieces come flying out when you're using compressed air and I just thought that these two pieces were part of the carbs my photos of the components of the kit do not show these pieces so I have to assume the parts came from within. I've taken it to two places neither one of them have anyone familiar with goldwing carburetors per say so all they do is look in the exploded diagrams like we are. So at this point still no idea what these small little spacers are for. I don't want to put the bike back together until I know the carbs are put back together properly I guess my search continues.

·
Premium Member
5,612 Posts
Well carbs apart again. Looks like my search continues it's not a jet holder any more ideas?. from what I see the jet holder is what screws into the body of the carburetor if I slide this tiny little sleeve that barely fits on the main jet I can't get the main jet back in I see nowhere to put these two pieces.
Did you look at the pictures I posted in post #11? The term jet holder is used 3 times in the parts breakdown. I assume it is an assembly. If you refer back to the picture that says "removed" you can see the hex oart of that part of the holder. Then if you look at the picture that says "installed " notice you can only see the corners of the hex. That is because when you slide on the part in question it almost covers the hex part where just the corners are now visible. So it seems first you screw in the first part of the holder with the hex. Then you slide the sleeves over that part. Then you turn in the main part of the holder after installing the seals. Mabe?????????
Click on images and enlarge to see better....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have the spacers that go between the carbs and the top plate. Its just the 2 smaller ones that I can not account for. I even went and looked at the rebuilding kit that was unopened and those small spacers did not come with the kits so it has to have come from the carbs somewhere.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yes I looked at your pics of the jet holder and it doesn't go there. The jet holder is the part that screws into the carb body and recieves the main jet. These look exactly like the spacers that are used on the top plate (2-per carb = total 4), however these much smaller ones seem to be 1 per carb = 2 total in question.

·
Premium Member
5,612 Posts
yes I looked at your pics of the jet holder and it doesn't go there. The jet holder is the part that screws into the carb body and recieves the main jet. These look exactly like the spacers that are used on the top plate (2-per carb = total 4), however these much smaller ones seem to be 1 per carb = 2 total in question.
Honda parts refer to Both parts of #29 plus #19 as jet holder. If you can put a wrench on part #20 then there is a dowel missing. You should not be able to put wrench on #20 after the dowel is installed.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts