Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi everyone, I am new here,so if I make a mistake, please point me in the right direction
I have a minor problem but if I dont take care of it now,it will become a major issue. Last year at theend of the season, i started to develop a problem where a few electrical items quit, the gas gauge andreverse and cruise circuit were all involved and long story short, I found that the relay was burned (dont remember the number )so I put in a new one , it went south too in a very short time. I traced it to burned contacts in the plug caused by the male being a little loose in the female socket probably. Is there an easy fix for this without having to replace the entire relay holder and all the wire ends which would probably cost a good bit? Any input will be appreciated as I know that they will probably burn up early in the coming riding season, Thanks in advance

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Is the loose connection right at the relay? How many wires are coming out of the relay that have this problem? Can you post a pic??

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I could post a picture but my son borrowed the digital camera and.... well you know how that goes LOL
Anyway, on the left side, where the accessory fuse block is, the relays go into the box toward the rear of the bike (next to the acc fuse box) There is like 8 or so relays there.(5 prong relays) The relay plugs into the panel and since it got hot, it started to burn the panel. I did catch it in time and kinda twisted the prongs so they would be tight in the socket (a quick but temporary fix at best.) I thought I read on the GWRRA board that someone had replaced the socket with an external socket Thought I would ask here though

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

The GWRRA Feb.issue of Wing World just did an article on the same subject,albeit for a connector had a loose connection and began to melt the plastic.It said, the dealer will replace WAY too much wiring harness instead of repairing the one connector at a fraction of the dealers cost of replacing the whole harness.It's just not needed.In your case,I would think you could just wire the relay "around" the box, and zip tie it somewhere.Thank goodness you caught it befor serious damage occurred! Best of luck, jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

There ya go JMLY !!! Good luck with it! Please keep us posted.Alot of us wait and wonder what got fixed, and how it was done.Just adds to the data bank!! Hope it goes easy.jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I was kinda hoping there would be some sort of miracle cure for the problem so I didn't have to cut into the harness but that would be too good to be true ...weather I put a bypass socket in or replace the whole block, it looks like it would be a ROYAL pain keeping all the wires separated and actually getting them back into the proper placePLUS it doesn't look as if Mother Honda left too many millimeters of extra wire to play with :shock:Has anyonehere tackled such a job before?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.