Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to get this car started after a year or so of sitting idle. I got error codes of "P0107" and "P0122". The first means MAP/BORO circuit low input, second one Throttle Position Sensor A circuit low input. Question is where do I go from here? Could these be mice teeth related?

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
Yes. Check the easy stuff first. Mice love to chew on insulation and wire. Follow the wires to make sure nothing is chewed thru. These sensors are usually two wire circuits and if you lose one it won't get the proper signal.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
I wouldn't think these things are bad from just sitting. A corroded connection maybe but the parts should not go bad. Also they shouldn't stop the car from running. MAP is manifold air pressure. A gasoline engine creates a vacuum. With the engine not running it is at zero and when running it will go to a negative. TPS is just that, the computer want's to where the gas pedal is. Is is in an idle position or is it asking for more power/acceleration? I think if you just go through the basics, air-fuel-fire, you'll get it running. I'd start with air follow the air intake and make sure there are no obstructions and that the throttle body is opening. Then fuel. When you turn the key on are you hearing the fuel pump build pressure? When you pull a plug can you smell fuel? When you crank it over is that plug firing? If it does fire up and run but runs crappy keep it going for a while. It will take it a little time for the computer to relearn everything. (If the battery has been dead awhile the computer loses it's memory. I'd try to get the fuel out and get some fresh stuff in. I'm sure you've read all the E-10 posts here and elsewhere. I wouldn't put any additives in the new fuel till it's running and drivable.

·
Administrator
24,864 Posts

1998 Chevy Lumina error code

Post this over on the Tech Forum it will be seen by all our Tech experts
Then it would get moved back here, the tech forum is for goldwings only.

I agree with seabee, check for chewed wiring.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's what I've done. Charged the batt then jumped it for extra boost and gave it a short blast of starter fluid...no start not even a pop. I know this motor is on it's last leg thanks to the infamous GM V-6 intake gasket failures and the stepdaughter being to lazy to check the oil. The car is from Florida so it's still in good shape chassis/body wise. It might be a good car for the stepson to start driving with but it may need a used motor.
I got jumped on the GW board for posting a toyota question so that's why I posted under miscellaneous boards. Probably won't be seen by as many techies but I am going by board rules....Tia, Rick

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Who told you that????.....:baffled: Thats news to me...:makemyday:
Yeah, happens every time :)

Have you checked the connections on the throttle body? Have you checked to see if the throttle blade is closing all the way? Have you replaced the intake gaskets? Last, have you run a compression test yet?

If it's got good compression, you still have some good miles out of it as long you take care of the intake gaskets. At this point, you have two specific failure points, so I would start at the MAP and TPS and check them as well as everything attached to them, then start following the harness back until you find the problem. Sounds to me like a relatively simple fix. Even IF both sensors are bad and you opt for new instead of used, it's cheaper than a used motor.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This car has been little more than a PIMA since day one. First thing I do with electrical problems is unplug then replug all available connectors with a corrosion check thrown in for good measure. What I need is what to check for after the OBDII codes are read. Volts, ohms, watts, high/low blood sugar:?. Without buying a factory electrical manual is there a website or someone that can give me a clue as to how to trouble shoot these codes and narrow down my search time? Rick.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.