Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everybody.
I have an issue with my cruise control that wont set.
I know this issue has been covered many times, and with a lot of other posts, which i have most of them read
My bike has only 32000 klm, with stock levers.
I have checked all of the switches , clutch, front brake, rear brake ..
I have had all front panels removed, to check all vacuum pipes , all is good
so when i turn on the key both lights come on for a few seconds,
While driving, the cruise on lights comes on, but the set light doesn't
so, am i right in thinking that, when the key is turned , and both lights , come on for a few seconds does that mean the the cruise control system is working ok, and the only thing stopping the cruise to set, is one of the micro switches is not completing the circuit,??

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
If you haven't already, check the pivot bolts on the levers for wear.

Rayjoe

Reactions: limpy45

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mine was doing that (1996 SE) and I had checked all the relevant pins at the plug at the back of the cruise control unit. Everything checked out so I pulled the cruise control unit apart and found cracks in the circuit board. After I soldered jumpers over the cracks and reinforced the board and put it all together it worked. I would suggest going the the plug at the back of the unit (if you haven't already) and going through the troubleshooting protocol in the service manual. You might find the source of the problem there. After that I'd look at the actual circuit board.

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Before doing the meter checks, a quick wear and adjustment check can often locate the problem switch. Try setting the cruise with the clutch lever pushed away from the grip, next try the same with the front brake, finally use your toe to lift the rear brake pedal. If you can get the cruise light to come on even briefly, you have found the area that needs attention. If there is no change, go through Honda's diagnostic procedure.

·
Administrator
27,358 Posts
so, am i right in thinking that, when the key is turned , and both lights , come on for a few seconds does that mean the the cruise control system is working ok, and the only thing stopping the cruise to set, is one of the micro switches is not completing the circuit,??
No, that only indicates the lights are working, it's an automatic bulb check. There are only 2 terminals on the control unit to test for all the cancel switches. With the ignition and the cruise switch on the brown/red wire should have power, the green/blue should only have power when the clutch is pulled.

Reactions: vinnymc

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
919 Posts
If all the microswitches are working (four of them in series, clutch lever, both hand and foot brakes, and throttle sensor switch (on the carburetors, cuts off cruise if you force the throttle back to idle) there's other possibilities:

Cruise control operates mainly off engine RPM to maintain speed, but also depends on signals from the speed sensor in the speedometer. Does the auto-cancel for the turn signals work? Does the stereo volume automatically increase above 35MPH / 60KPH? If not, the speed sensor or connections could be a problem.

Cruise control will only operate in 4th or 5th gear above 35MPH / 60KPH. If your "OD" light on the dash comes on in 5th gear but cruise still doesn't engage in 5th gear, that rules out the gear position sensor as a problem.

·
Administrator
27,358 Posts
If all the microswitches are working (four of them in series, clutch lever, both hand and foot brakes, and throttle sensor switch
But the clutch lever switch is not in series with the brake and throttle switches. It is separate and normally open as opposed to the rest being normally closed. The easiest way to check if the problem is the clutch switch is simply disconnect it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The fact that this was working two weeks ago, is suggesting to me its something that i have disturbed recently ,
All i can think of is , i had the dash out to replace the lcd screen, then i fitted bulbs in the side lamps , right and left of the headlight.
I am trying to avoid in removing the rear trunk to access the cruise module

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
My 91 cruise did the same thing and the set button had failed inside

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My 91 cruise did the same thing and the set button had failed inside
i had the set button removed and checked, it was like new, so i put some contact cleaner on it and replaced, still the same,.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Have you check the cruise relay on the left side

Reactions: vinnymc

·
Administrator
27,358 Posts
The first thing to do is disconnect the clutch cancel switch and go for a ride. If that doesn't fix it then the next step is to go to the control unit connector and start checking inputs.

Reactions: limpy45 and vinnymc

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Redwing52 got mine going but he hasn't been on here in a while,there’s a great chapter in the manual on checking the system

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
The fact that this was working two weeks ago, is suggesting to me its something that i have disturbed recently ,
All i can think of is , i had the dash out to replace the lcd screen, then i fitted bulbs in the side lamps , right and left of the headlight.
I am trying to avoid in removing the rear trunk to access the cruise module
Ah ha, that is the info you should have lead with.
"I took apart the dash and now the cruise control won't work."

Probably time to take apart the dash again and look for what you missed.
As Denver asked, what about the turn signal cancel or radio volume? If those are also out you didn't get the speed signal hooked back up to the LCD.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ah ha, that is the info you should have lead with.
"I took apart the dash and now the cruise control won't work."

Probably time to take apart the dash again and look for what you missed.
As Denver asked, what about the turn signal cancel or radio volume? If those are also out you didn't get the speed signal hooked back up to the LCD.

Even when the cruise worked, the turn signal cancel never worked, i just put it down it was as a result of it being a bike in klm, instead of miles,?

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Check the bushing on the clutch lever, that was my issue. To much play in the lever and so the cruise control won’t come on.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Hello Everybody.
I have an issue with my cruise control that wont set.
I know this issue has been covered many times, and with a lot of other posts, which i have most of them read
My 98SE did the same thing. Cruise light would come on but it wouldn’t set. Mine was the micro switch under the front brake master cylinder. I pulled it and broke it off before I realized I had to unscrew it. Robbed one off my 85 Ltd while waiting for the new switch to come in and it worked just fine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts