Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy just picked up a 1998 Goldwing with 21k on it and everything worked. Then he decided to removed the radio for he wants to change it. No other work was done and bike was immeadiatly put back together, minus the radio, and a new cover covering the hole left behind. After doing this the cruise control stopped working. We looked for broke wires or loose wire connectors but couldn't find one. Is the cruise control somehow going through the radio or receives some signal from the radio to work? I own a 2012 and 1985 SE so I have zero experience with the GL1500s. This is now my lock down project, getting this straighten out.

Mark in VA

·
Administrator
58,741 Posts
the thread Dennis mentions is this one

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I don’t think the radio has anything to do with the cruise,may have just blown a fuse,

·
Administrator
25,343 Posts
The only fuse involved would also keep the engine from starting.

·
Premium Member
6,123 Posts
The only fuse involved would also keep the engine from starting.
The cruise and the radio do share a speed signal for ambient noise but I can't imagine just removing the radio would affect it. Did he unplug everything? Didn't cut the wiring or anything like that? Did he used to own a Harley? Just kidding. :) ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The cruise and the radio do share a speed signal for ambient noise but I can't imagine just removing the radio would affect it. Did he unplug everything? Didn't cut the wiring or anything like that? Did he used to own a Harley? Just kidding. :) ?
Didn't unplug anything else. we also took our time looking for wiring issues that could have happened while removing the radio. I think we may try to convince him to reinstall the radio to see if it fixes problem.

·
Registered
144 Posts
What do you mean by "not working"? Is it completely dead, as in the dash lights don't light up anymore? I had a guy do some work on my carbs a while back, and then the cruise control quit - the lights would work just as if everything was fine, except the cruise control never grabbed the throttle. Turned out that when the guy reassembled my bike he pinched the vacuum line going to the cruise control with a bolt holding the air cleaner box - the cruise control was receiving all the electrical signals, but the vacuum signal coming from the vacuum valve was not reaching its destination.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Just plug it in and hold it in place with a bungie cord while you take a ride around the block.
LOL. Did you used to be a Harley owner? ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What do you mean by "not working"? Is it completely dead, as in the dash lights don't light up anymore? I had a guy do some work on my carbs a while back, and then the cruise control quit - the lights would work just as if everything was fine, except the cruise control never grabbed the throttle. Turned out that when the guy reassembled my bike he pinched the vacuum line going to the cruise control with a bolt holding the air cleaner box - the cruise control was receiving all the electrical signals, but the vacuum signal coming from the vacuum valve was not reaching its destination.
Not working means no light on dash when button is pushed and it doesn't function.

·
Premium Member
6,123 Posts
Not working means no light on dash when button is pushed and it doesn't function.
There are 2 cruise lights. There is one to just activate or arm the cruise. When it is active the word cruise will appear on the instrument panel. Leave that switch on forever. It has a reputation of getting dirty.
When you push the set button, if all is well, the set light will come on and the cruise will engage.
Do you get either light? If you can't get the cruise light on push the cruise switch (not the set or resume) many, many many times. It might start working again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts