Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

looking to learn how to easily lower adjustment of rear foot break peddle to better suit height of aftermarket floor board. i already removed a number of side covers to get to the adjuster rod and jam nuts, but they are sandwitched in a very tight area between the exaust and frame. any suggestions ? thanks cmlr13:waiting:

Edit: see this thread also
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/93336.html

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

How much height difference are we talking about??

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

The petal is on a spline, if you remove it and install it a spline or two lower it may work but if the petal sits above the board it may bottom out on the board before giving you full braking.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

That was my line of thought as well, but that 2" in brake pedal height differenceis too much of an adjustment.

Here's what I'd do if unable to get at the adjustment rod, underneath the bike (1st preference to solve it)

For my 2nd choice ... I'd look for another brake pedal at a wreckers/eBayand then try bending it to suit. I'm pretty sure they are made of malleable metal and can take the bending without breaking.(?)

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Adjusting the push rod will not change the pedal height.

Adjusting the push rod shorter will give more travel from the same pedal height before brake engagement.

Adjusting the push rod longer will give less travel from the same pedal height before brake engagement but to long and you block the fluid return hole causing anywhere from no brakes to locked brakes.

·
Administrator
26,529 Posts
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
Adjusting the push rod will not change the pedal height.

Adjusting the push rod shorter will give more travel from the same pedal height before brake engagement.

Adjusting the push rod longer will give less travel from the same pedal height before brake engagement but to long and you block the fluid return hole causing anywhere from no brakes to locked brakes.
What? 1500s must be made way different from the other wings. On 1100s, 1200s and 1800s you can adjust the pedal height with the push rod.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
On 1100s, 1200s and 1800s you can adjust the pedal height with the push rod.
Please explain exactly what happens when you lengthen/shorten the push rod, preferably with pictures so simpletons like me call understand.:?

·
Administrator
26,529 Posts
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
DaveO430 wrote:
On 1100s, 1200s and 1800s you can adjust the pedal height with the push rod.
Please explain exactly what happens when you lengthen/shorten the push rod, preferably with pictures so simpletons like me call understand.:?
Just try it for yourself Ken. Some of us have actually worked on bikes.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
Just try it for yourself Ken. Some of us have actually worked on bikes.
I have worked on bikes and in desperation even tried adjusting the push rod and it didn't work Dave.
After study I found that the pedal linkage was mechanically stopped on the frame and the push rod only determines the piston position in the master cylinder. If you can show me different great but until then?:?

·
Administrator
26,529 Posts
imported post

Well you found wrong Ken, the push rod determines pedal height...............

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,147 Posts
imported post

Dave, the pedal height is stopped by a protrusion on the frame. It cannot go any higher than that.

I also have a 98SE with exactly the same problem as the OP. There is only 1 inch of travel available before the pedal grounds out on the floor board.

I used to have medium quality braking, but the pads have worn down now, so that the pedal cannot push the master cylinder far enough now to apply brake.

I either have to keep adjusting the push rod, or move the pedal up one spline notch (same thing) or I grind out a bunch of metal somewhere.

I have not had a rear brake now for almost a 1,000 miles. That is not a good feeling at all. That is something that I am going to resolve this week, now that I am settled into my new home and actually have a shop to work in.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
I used to have medium quality braking, but the pads have worn down now, so that the pedal cannot push the master cylinder far enough now to apply brake.

I either have to keep adjusting the push rod, or move the pedal up one spline notch (same thing) or I grind out a bunch of metal somewhere.

I have not had a rear brake now for almost a 1,000 miles. That is not a good feeling at all. That is something that I am going to resolve this week, now that I am settled into my new home and actually have a shop to work in.
John, with disc brakes pedal engagement height should not change from new pads to completely worn out pads. I'm sure you'll find the problem but 1,000 miles with only one brake caliper is scary.:shock:

·
Administrator
26,529 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
Dave, the pedal height is stopped by a protrusion on the frame. It cannot go any higher than that.

I also have a 98SE with exactly the same problem as the OP. There is only 1 inch of travel available before the pedal grounds out on the floor board.

If the pedal is stopped by a frame protrusion then how can you move it up a spline and it not hit the same protrusion? Ken is right on that, pad wear should not effect pedal travel. A fluid flush may fix it or you may have to contact Andy about some SS lines. A stuck caliper slide could be the cause also. I have worked on a 1500 much so I have not had to adjust the pedal on one. On the ones I have, 1100,1200 and 1800 I have adjusted the pedal up with the push rod. The 1800 and 1200 will eventually hit the frame or foot peg, the 1100s will run out of threads, but will go plenty high before that happens. I have a problem pivoting my right ankle down so I adjust the pedal up so I can get some pressure on it.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

cmlr13 wrote:
Hi,

Just want to lower it an inch or two
I believe this is what some floorboards come with a Heel support above the boards to rest your foot on while braking. :action: I had to make one for my self made boards. :waving:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,147 Posts
imported post

top, working on this right now for myself.
Got the stainless brake lines, getting them put on soon.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.