Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Just arrived back from the 3500 mile trip from Calgary to San Francisco. The bike ran fine for about the first week and a half despite the 100+ temperatures we saw. Suddenly one morning while traveling along the freeway at 65mph with the cruise on the bike just shutdown. We coasted to the side of the road and the bike started right up again without any problem. I at first thought that the fuel had been shutoff since all lights were still on and the radio was still playing.

Over the next couple of days the bike would stutter when I applied enough throttle to pass or was going up hill with the cruise on. Cruise didn't make a difference since it did it with or with out the cruise on.

I did find a Honda dealer and replaced the fuel filter and the next day the bike ran fine although I did take it easy on the throttle.

On the last day about 300 miles from home she died again. It would crank over but not start. I did some road side trouble shooting. There was spark and fuel coming from the fuel pump and the engine turned over just fine but would not fire. After waiting half an hour I tried one more time before calling a tow truck and away it went. Fired up just like that.

Now about 100 miles from home died completely. Would turn over but not start. Had to have my son come and deck it for a ride home.

The next day I tried the to start it. The bike would just turn over but not fire. I checked the fuel pump. OK. Then I checked for spark. OK on one side. Just on a whim I put a teaspoon of fuel in each cylinder and replace the plus. Turned the bike over and she attempted to fire. Waiting 30 seconds and it fired right up.

A little miffed at what could be the problem since there is both spark and fuel even when the bike won't fire up.

Kevin

·
Administrator
27,781 Posts
imported post

Are you sure fuel is getting to the carbs? I suspect the automatic fuel shutoff valve.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Thanks for your response David. I'm not sure that fuel is getting to the carbs, at least that is what I suspected when it started to fire after adding fuel directly to the cylinder. Where is and how do you test the auto shut off? can it be cleaned or do you just have to replace it?

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

I thought it might be the fuel pump but even when it won't start the fuel pump pours out fuel.

·
Administrator
27,781 Posts
imported post

1983wing wrote:
Thanks for your response David. I'm not sure that fuel is getting to the carbs, at least that is what I suspected when it started to fire after adding fuel directly to the cylinder. Where is and how do you test the auto shut off? can it be cleaned or do you just have to replace it?
The valve is in front of the filler cap, I suspect the problem would be the vacuum line to it may be bad. I'm not hands on familiar with 1500s and don't know how much plastic you have to remove to get to it.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Sorry for the time lapse between replies.

It turns out that it was the valve after all. You can see the valve with the fuel tank door open but cannot remove it without removing a fair amount of plastic. I found that there was a tear in the diaphragm inside the valve. The dealer wanted a $165 for a new valve and did not have a rebuild kit. I did find a rebuild kit online at http://www.cyclemaxohio.com for $22.00. Much cheaper and it worked fine.

The bike is back on the road an running as new.

Thanks for all your help.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

1983wing Thank you much for the useful link and the followup on your repairs! I've been chasing a similar flow issue, had it nearroed-down and was waiting for Santa or the Lottery to help wih the dealer's item.

Great to hear I can fix my fuel flow issues for a few bucks!

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

Satan, no problem. I have purchased from Cyclemax a couple of times and they deliver quickly. He sells through Ebay as well. I bought the diaphragm right off his website. Fast shipping and the price is good. Since the valve is aluminum there isn't much use in replacing the whole valve.

If you plan on taking the valve apart anyway you might as well have a new diaphragm handy. The replacement appears to be thicker than the original so it may last longer.

Once you have the new diaphragm installed and the valve put back together make sure to hook up a piece of hose to the vacuum connection on the valve and suck on the hose. The first time I put the valve together I didn't have the diaphragm seated properly and there was no resistance. If I put the valve back in the bike this way I would have just had to take it all apart to fix it again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.