Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm planning on replacing the vacuum lines on my '98 GL1500 SE and don't particularly want to go with the Honda brand replacements, if I can even find the parts these days. Can anyone who replaced the vacuum lines with non-Honda hoses tell me what sizes you used to replace the originals, and what lengths you bought? I know the pink cables around the air cleaner are 3.5mm inner diameter, but the stuff buried under the carbs I'm really not sure of, and would like to have it on hand when I actually need it.

Thanks,
J.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,323 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The parts fiche should list hose sizes.
Some hoses are pre-formed and OEM may be the only option.

·
Administrator
27,891 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only one that's ever been a problem is #14 https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/motorcycle/1998/gl1500a-ac-gold-wing-aspencade/tubing-2 & it is hard to duplicate with off the shelf hose.
Ah interesting you mentioned that particular one. I've just ordered two of those (#14) as spares as 1) these are still available and 2) practically every time I've seen it mentioned, people are either swapping it out because it has failed, or because they know it is going to fail soon enough.

As for the others though, I've seen some pretty nice accessory hose replacement photos and thought that might be the way to go. I'll admit I'm not quite up to par when it comes to identifying the different hoses from the diagrams, but I've never attempted this before and perhaps it's a lot easier identifying them once they're in front of me.

Appreciate the reply.

Thanks,
J.

·
Registered
425 Posts
As stated, look at a parts fiche. It will have the size listed.

I purchased bulk hose off Amazon. Local auto parts stores do not carry metric hose. I used two different sizes, but can not remember what they were. I did that project quite a few years ago. I think I used 15 feet of the larger hose, and 10 feet of the smaller one. This was for a 88, so I am not sure what you will need for a 98. I also ordered the crazy bend hoses from Honda.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the forum. The parts fiche should list hose sizes.
Some hoses are pre-formed and OEM may be the only option.
Good morning, appreciate the response. The parts fiche is still a little cryptic at this time, and probably will be until I see some of the molded hoses and their shapes/identifying numbers, etc, with my own eyes.

I have the Clymer service manual, the Honda service manual, and the PDF manual with all the part numbers in it so I guess I should get an 'A' for effort. I'm sure I'll get there, but it's slow going so far :)

Thanks,
J.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts