Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forum, I am looking for some info on the GL1500SE..
I has 63000 miles looks good in the picture, is the mileage a factor at 63000. Any info on this bike and 1998 would be appreciated.
The price is $6500.00
Thanks
Mac

·
Bringer of Shenanigans
1,031 Posts
63,000 miles for a wing is barely broken in. Maintenance is the key. Check what records he has. Go see it in person. Pictures can be deceptive.

The SE is the top of the line model. You get CB, reverse, AM/FM radio, adjustable passenger foot rests. I have a 96SE and love it.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
I have a 98SE too and totally agree with maintenance being the key. Most maintenance jobs are pretty cheap to do if you do them yourself so concentrate on some of the things that could cost you money when you are looking to buy. e.g. brake rotas, broken body panels, swingarm and exhaust

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
63k miles is not an issue at all... 100k is the next major maintenance interval, so between now and then the typical major items you'd need to attend to are:
-Service the alternator (if it's a stock Honda Unit; NA if it's a Compufire)
-Change filters (Carb, Sub-carb, Cruise, Oil, and Fuel)
-Change fluids (Brake, Clutch, Engine Oil, Rear Drive Oil)
-Lube the drive line
-Upgrade the tire valves to all-metal (eg No rubber)

You can do all the above by yourself in one weekend for about $100... all the instructions are already on this site.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had recently found two low mile GL1500, one a 1997SE from a small dealer that he had bought from auction with no service history, and the other a 1999SE from the original owner with a meticulous sevice history. No brainer, I paid a little more, but bought the bike from the original owner with the service history.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
I have a 99 that was Motortriked. Great engine, pretty much bullet proof if maintanance is kept up. Good shopping, jimsjinx

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Welcome to the forum Mac

The 97-2000 1500s have the heavy-duty Valkyrie transmissionso the 98 with that miles is no problem. I got my 99 with 57,000 on it, have 103,000 on it now. These bikes if taken care of with regular service will go over 500,000 miles. The owner of a shop in Anaheim has over 400,000 miles on his own 1500 so go for it. I know someone that just got a 99 Aspencade with 55,000 on it for $5200. The seller may come down, maybe not.
They are a great well built machine. A little intimidating at first ride but once accustomed to it, they can flick the twisties with lots of peg dragging if you desire.
There is lots of maintenance to do, so hopefully he has records of what has been done on it. Timing belts are about due as age is there though it will go 100,000 miles most likely without problem. But most do it by now. You can buy the belts on line for @ $15 each (2) Gates. Honda belts are @$50 each. Shop will charge $300-500 depending on the shop. Not a hard job if you are mechanical and there are good instructions here and videos on doing it.
The other concern is the dot 4 fluid if it has been changed every 1-2 years or not as gunk builds up if not and sticking pistions and leaking seals will require a taking apart each master cylinder and caliper and slave cylinder with thoroughly cleaning and maybe rebuild kits. If the fluid is brownish red plan on it.
Not trying to scare you, just information to watch for.
Test the alternator output at the battery, cold Ans after the bike has warmed up to temperature, and fans have kicked on. The 96 and up had Chinese alternator and they are known for winding failure once hot. Some have high output alternators put on to replace the stock, Compufire is

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
With the Goldwings, low mileage can almost be worse then high mileage. Lowmileage means it sits a lot and that can lead to issues, and if one rides very little the maintenance tends to also go astray. All above have given good advice. My 2000 alternator was still fine when I pulled it for a refresh (it showed no signs of issues) earlier this year at about 89,000 miles, so not all the newer ones are bad. For comparison, mine runs like new at a little under 95,000 miles and I bought it in '05 with about 15,000 on it. It had sat almost idle for a couple years so like any machine like it, fluids, tune, ...
Check the date code on the tires. As a low mileage bike they may be getting old.
But all the above should be done with a new acquisition regardless in my opinion.
Welcome to the forum and ride long and safe!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.