Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello all I just bought a wing with 10,000o original miles when should I replace the belts and what brand of belts are best

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for the advice I am planning on replacing them anyway now what company is best to replace the old ones with

·
Administrator
26,578 Posts
imported post

Honda uses Gates, #T275. Napa is made by Gates, #250275, also goodyear makes them #40275.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
imported post

When in doubt, change them out. thats what RUDY would tell you im sure. they are easy to change. use the "how to" section on the home page---thats what i used and it is super helpful. i personally would not take a chance on one breaking, id change them out. if one did break, it would cost you a valve job...the engine would go out of time, and the pistons would contact the valves, bending them, resulting in no compression, and a no start problem. this is a costly repair. gates also has them available---part # is a 275.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum and congats on the wing.
is that Pittsfield NH?

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
imported post

Pippomaranga is correct! with this low mileage we must request pictures of the wing!ha

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

Change them out. mother honda say change them at 8 years or 60/80k? miles.

My 99 had only 14k but I just changed them out because I did not what to have an issue. I now have piece of mind and no worries.;)

These are interference engines and if the belt fails, it will destroy the engine.

I did keep the old ones but one was only 50% good in my book.:badgrin:

Well worth the money for changing.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

If you don`t know when the brake and clutch fuids were last changed I would be doing those also, along with the antifreeze.
Tom Bishop

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
imported post

Check around on prices there are all kinds out there. I got Gates for mine off amazon.com about a year ago. I think around $30-$35 for both.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Just thought I'd let you know that Amazon.com is selling their Gates T-275 timing belts that fit the 1500s, for $14.77 a piece. When you order the 2 of them (you need 2), your order qualifies for free shipping.

Although I changed mine in early 2009, I've put a lot of miles on since then, so I ordered a pair of T-275s to install during next winter's (2012/2013)'down time'.

Dusty

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Hello thank you all I agree this and a few other maintenence jobs will be completed this year bike runs great and I would like to keep it that way for many years

·
Wild Rhino - Canadian
591 Posts
imported post

Time to check all those air filters, sub filters, cruise filter, air compressor filters and desicant

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

tomusa wrote:
Check around on prices there are all kinds out there. I got Gates for mine off amazon.com about a year ago. I think around $30-$35 for both.
Ditto for me. Changed mine out on a low mileage (25k) 94 1500SEafter buying it last year. Amazon was the cheapest Gates belts I found at the time. Looks like they are even cheaper now.

As others have posted, it is not a bad job at all on the 1500s. Just take your time and be sure to follow the instructions about turning the engine over by hand to be sure there is no interferance in the engine before hitting the starter button.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Change them for peace of mind at least. Read the instructions that Wilson02 linked to and you won't go wrong. Pay close attention to the warnings too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.