Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1998 GL1500 SE
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starter motor starts the bike quickly/easily.
When I push the starter button to use Reverse it begins to move backward then stops - moves about an inch. Release the start button and press it again and it will move backward another inch .. repeat

Is there a speed controller involved with reverse? (faulty)
Is this a dirty connector somewhere?

·
Administrator
27,523 Posts
Could be the 5a inline fuse (with the pink wire) to the left of the battery.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
There is a safety circuit that does just what you are describing. I don't remember the details but if you search here you should be able to find how to track it down.

·
Registered
1998 GL1500 SE
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could be the 5a inline fuse (with the pink wire) to the left of the battery.
Thanks, I'll check the fuse this evening! boy i'd feel lucky.

RambozoClown, I think the safety part of it is a speed controller? does that sound right? I think all the physical safety switches are working because I Do get it to Start to move backward.
-Jeff

·
Pwhoever
3,300 Posts
There is a module IIRC under the left front side of the trunk. It is a small silver colored rectangular box with cooling fins on it. It is attached to the upper part of the saddlebag stay. It plugs into the wiring harness. On mine one time, the connector was loose and it did the exact thing you are describing, would only back up for about a second and then stop, over and over. Once I reseated the connector, it worked just fine again. Just something else to check.

·
Pwhoever
3,300 Posts
It's part #8 and can be found in the parts diagrams under engine guard. Why there? Who knows but that's where the listed it...

·
Registered
1998 GL1500 SE
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is a module IIRC under the left front side of the trunk. It is a small silver colored rectangular box with cooling fins on it. It is attached to the upper part of the saddlebag stay. It plugs into the wiring harness. On mine one time, the connector was loose and it did the exact thing you are describing, would only back up for about a second and then stop, over and over. Once I reseated the connector, it worked just fine again. Just something else to check.
Oh - good thought- I have wondered if something may have jiggled loose- Reverse worked fine the morning of a 200 mile ride- didn't use it the rest of that day, Reverse acted this way the next evening.
Pwhoever- Is the plug accessible with the left bag off or with the trunk removed? Or both removed? or just the seat off?
I'll check the fuse Left of the battery and this (part #8 connector) this evening and report back what I find.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
It's not a physical switch safety, but it measures current. It's to protect the starter motor.

·
Pwhoever
3,300 Posts
I no longer have my 1500 and it's been awhile since I dealt with it. IIRC, you should be able to get access by removing the trunk lower cover. It's just 4 screws. Just an FYI, It is a bit of a pain lining that lower cover back up again to reinstall...

·
Registered
1998 GL1500 SE
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've had the lower cover off the trunk a few times- not a big deal. Currently LIFE has gotten in the way of working on my bike - But I Will be sure to report back what I figure out.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Following, I'm having the same problem with my 94 SE.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Make sure your battery is up to optimum. I put my 96 in reverse and it would stall the motor...a new battery was the fix.

·
Registered
1998 GL1500 SE
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Make sure your battery is up to optimum. I put my 96 in reverse and it would stall the motor...a new battery was the fix.
My Battery is a new AGM, when I press the start button to use reverse there is No change to the engine idle speed - the bike just moves backward about an inch and stops, release the start button and press it again and it moves backward another inch - repeat repeat .. all the same.

I have the left side cover off now and one of the fuse block covers says "5A Back up" IS that for Reverse? (back up ) or is it a spare 5A fuse? why wouldn't it say "spare fuse"?
I have to loosen/move the left saddle bag to get that fuse block cover off -- doing that right now.

Dave, 5A fuse left of the battery (pink wire) checks good

·
Registered
1998 GL1500 SE
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I moved the left saddle bag and checked the 5A fuse there.. it's good- I pulled it out of the bike to check it - when I plugged it back in the bike a short series of electrical humming/buzzing noises were made at the rear of the bike (under the trunk??) - - I pulled the fuse back out then plugged it back in - same series of noises were made as it powered up what ever it goes to I guess.
Using Reverse still acts the same as before.

·
Registered
1998 GL1500 SE
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have the Left bag off now- I see the part that Pwhoever is referring to - I'm pointing to it in the picture.
I'll check/clean the connection and report back

·
Registered
1998 GL1500 SE
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Reactions: Pwhoever

·
Registered
1998 GL1500 SE
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I cleaned the connector with electrical contact cleaner and compressed air. . . No change to the "Reverse issue".
I'll clean some more connectors will I have things this far apart.

·
Registered
1998 GL1500 SE
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
HEY!! I'm on the right track.... When I push the starter button to use reverse ( engine running- bike up on center stand) the starter solenoid (right in front of the battery) engages for the 1-2 seconds that reverse works then kicks out and reverse stops working - until I release the button and push it again and it works for another 1-2 seconds ( thus the bike moves backward about an inch) -- SOOOO... I kept pumping the button- the more times I pumped the button the longer and longer intervals Reverse would Work -- I'm assuming there is a dirty connection in there Due to the Lack of Reverse being used ( about 3 times per summer??) .

Eventually I was able to get reverse to stay engaged for 30 seconds or so...

I'm diving deeper in there to do some cleaning!

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,342 Posts
Just FYI, that 5 amp backup fuse is for keeping the clock, radio and CB settings when the ignition is turned off.

·
Registered
1998 GL1500 SE
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you Larry

1 - 20 of 32 Posts