Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1998 GL1500 SE
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Problem resolved :
It seems that My Reverse is working normally now- Time will tell all I suppose But it seems like the solenoid was not carrying the load and was kicking out after reverse was engaged for just a moment. The more times I pushed the start button the longer the "working" time would be ( did this on the center stand )
Today - (on the center stand) I used reverse for a full minute continuously.

·
Administrator
27,541 Posts
But it seems like the solenoid was not carrying the load and was kicking out after reverse was engaged for just a moment.
If that was the case it wouldn't start if it had to crank more than a second.

·
Registered
1998 GL1500 SE
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Is it not a Two Pole solenoid? - I think the "Start the bike" side of the solenoid is functional when the reverse lever is not engaged - and vise versa

·
Administrator
27,541 Posts
Is it not a Two Pole solenoid? - I think the "Start the bike" side of the solenoid is functional when the reverse lever is not engaged - and vise versa
It works the same for starting or reverse, it simply engages the starter. Control of the ground is the only difference.

·
Registered
1998 GL1500 SE
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Well... All I really did was engage reverse A Lot Of Times while on the center stand and the starter solenoid stayed engaged for longer and longer intervals .. Today I seems to be working normally, I even backed it Up my driveway for 50 feet with no issues.
-Jeff

·
Registered
1998 GL1500 SE
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I must have "exercised" something else in the circuit - revived something that was on the edge of failing??

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Lack of use seems to be the thing that takes out more GoldWing systems rather than high use. Regular exercising of all the switches and features keeps them working.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
61,286 Posts
I make it a point to use Reverse every time I ride.
the bike is nosed up against the wall, or curb/kerb and it is required to backup before riding :)

never once, had a problem with Reverse on a '94, '98, or '02
they want exercise, that's all, just exercise. 🛵

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Same with cruise control, hazard flashers, and mute buttons. Use 'em or lose 'em.

·
Registered
1998 GL1500 SE
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Well then, I'll keep "exercising" it then.
Maybe I should exercise the entire bike more than 2000 miles a year!

·
Registered
590 Posts
I do wish you people would stop swearing at me and using that horrible e word, my legs are for resting on footpegs nothing else!

·
Registered
1998 GL1500 SE
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Exercise Exercise Exercise

-hee hee

Reactions: AZgl1800
21 - 32 of 32 Posts